• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Timing belt question

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Doing the timing belt on my 96 2.3, it was last replaced about 60K ago. Noticed whomever did the belt last had the oil pump out by one tooth clockwise.
Any idea how this would affect the running?

Thanks

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Why would the oil pump affect engine timing? :confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The AUX gear, oil pump drive, is also used by the CAM sensor, so should be timed correctly, but the computer does have some leeway to self adjust the Cam timing pulse, so you could experience rough running but unlikely
If it was more than 1 tooth off then it would set a code, cam sensor code

The Crank sensor is the main timing sensor for the engine's spark and injectors, the Cam sensor is used to fine tune that timing because its gear rotates at half the RPMs of crank so has better "resolution"
Crank gear sets 0deg TDC, period, so computer reads cam sensor and adjusts its signal to match crank signal for 0deg TDC then adjusts spark and injector timing based on that

One thing to watch out for is that both the Cam and Aux gears will have BOTH timing marks since these gear are interchangeable, same part number, and a worn down DIAMOND looks ALOT like a triangle, lol

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, thanks RonD, tor the quick answer, I couldn't figure why it was running fairly well if this was out.

Lance58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well that made a difference, truck is much snappier now.
Also I think it was running a bit rich before, I could often smell unburned fuel but not now.
Good thing I did the belt, the tensioner was shot as was the water pump, I doubt they changed them when they did the belt.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals