• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing and cam sync

Clevy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
To time a just assembled engine do I just put the cam timing mark down and put the #1 piston at the top of the stroke that makes compression? Without the timing chain on is there an exhaust stroke and compression stroke? Also I need to know how to put the cam synchronizer back in with no reference of how it came out. Thanks for any responses.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1997 4.0l OHV Ranger?
Rangers had two different 4.0l engines is why I ask, 2001 and up used a different 4.0l SOHC engine

There is a mark on the cam gear and crank gear, they face each other for correct time, seen here: https://f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f%2F80%2F21%2F18%2F5f%2Fsmall%2F0996b43f8021185f.jpg

So Crank gear mark at 12:00
Cam gear mark at 6:00

You know I have never checked this on a Ford V6, the cam sensor(distributor) alignment with gears at 6:00 and 12:00
On chevy's after you set this you need to turning the crank a full turn so both marks are at 12:00, then you can set distributor for #1 TDC power stroke, I think the Ford V8s were like that as well

So after gears are aligned and chain is on turn crank clock wise with finger in #1 spark plug hole, when finger starts to get pushed out, compression stroke, keep turn crank until its at 12:00 again
That's TDC #1 you want for cam sensor installation

Also let me know where cam gears mark is pointed, 6:00 or 12:00, has to be one or the other

Clevy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. For the cam syn in the Haynes manual its says to put it in facing 60° off centerline of engine and it also says to pay attention to where the electrical connection is pointing on disassembly. Not sure what this means especially since this is a total rebuild. Haven't tried to put it in yet and it's at a friend's so it might make more sense when I actually go to put it in.

Clevy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The cam points to 12:00.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cam mark can be either 6:00 or 12:00 doesn't matter, it will be a 6:00 or 12:00 if you rotate the crank one full turn

Crank at 12:00 and Cam at 6:00 is just easier to line up, but #1 TDC compression stroke IS crank at 12 and cam at 12, just FYI

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals