• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time is taking its toll...

Broo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought my '06 Ranger back in 2010. It's a white 2WD, 3.0L automatic, single cab with the long (7') bed.

After yet another tedious winter, I realize this little truck is getting old. I do a complete detailing of my vehicles twice a year, Fall and Spring, truck included.

After the wash, I noticed a lot of paint chipping that began rusting. I already had a few spots (front lower corners of the bed) where paint was flaking in chunks, but this year the rear wheel arches joined the party big time. The door's inside lower section is also pretty rusty while the upper interior section sees paint chipping (???) and my seat belt's floor anchor is getting attacked too.

I was pretty discouraged at all these defects, enough so that a detailing that usually takes 6 hours was cut short to 2, using an all-in-one product instead of several dedicated ones that do a better job and last longer. I never had that much paint flaking at once, ever on any vehicle.

The way I use the truck, of course it has several dings and scratches, but strangely this is not where the rust problems are.

All this despite annual rust-proofing at a reputable shop.

Mechanically, I had my share of problems over the last 9 years and last year was the first time ever I had to call a tow truck when my ignition coil pack failed.

Despite all these shortcomings, I do not yet want to let this truck go. It hasn't even reached 100 000 miles yet. The size and height are perfect for my use. The new Ranger's bed is way too high to be practical. Maybe the 2WD version is lower, but I can't know since Ford only offers the 4WD version in Canada. The only modern truck that would fit my needs is a 2WD Tacoma, new or used, but have you seen those prices ? The Nissan Frontier also exists in lower 2WD version, but they are very rare, or people keep them instead of selling them. Both the Tacoma and Frontier are only sold with extra or double cab here, we don't have single cabs anymore in the midsize segment and haven't for many years. I could live with an extra cab and a 6' box.

A repaint is prohibitively expensive so I'm unwillingly joining the rusty Rangers club. There are a LOT of members up here in eastern Canada. Despite the (sometimes severe) body rust, many are still earning their keep, so will mine.

It successfully took me and my father in law to Hershey last year for the AACA Fall Meet and brought back a lot of stuff. It was a 10 hours drive each way.

Good luck little Ranger, I may be giving up on your aesthetics, but I'll try and keep you in working order as long a possible if it makes financial sense.

Sorry this was long winded, I had to vent a bit. :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It happens to the best of them. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Little rust never hurt no one.

I feel the same way bout my 97 F250.

Run it till the frame rots in half.

Then re weld it and keep on truckin.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals