• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for a restore......again.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Wow just wow. It would probably cost as much to restore the Rat as a new Ranger Hmmmn Thank you for posting smudvapor. Happy 4th everyone!!

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
The tank and fuel system are in. I am still waiting for the brake lines and the exhaust. I was hoping to install those before there was a cab in the way. I finally got the opportunity to have a bunch of friends over today to put the cab on the frame so hopefully, that will happen. I will just have to work around the cab for the rest. I have already lost about a week waiting to put the cab on. Once it is on I can really go to work.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
Well, some friends came over today, and in between thunderstorms we got the new cab put onto the frame! It took some ingenuity but we got it done!

IMG_20210707_165344914_HDR.jpg IMG_20210707_171342277.jpg IMG_20210707_171339493.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nice! Looking great!

I have a repurposed patient lift in my shop that I use for lifting stuff like that, I used it for swapping cabs last year. A cab is probably at the very high upper limits of what it would do as far as weight goes so I didn't take pictures, but I did when I put the box on. It's stupid handy but it looks like I have a higher ceiling than you do.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You are right, my ceiling is much lower. I called about renting a gantry but it was too much money and too much work for about five minutes of use. It turns out that a cherry picker and four friends work just as well. :)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you going to paint the cab white or try to find a box that matches?

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Are you going to paint the cab white or try to find a box that matches?
No, I am going with blue this time. I have another bed to replace the old one.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Blue is the correct color.
It was blue when I got it, and since then it has been white and black. I think I am going with midnight blue metallic this time.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I got the cab mount bushings in today and removed all of the engine compartment wiring. I am almost finished with removing all of the interior parts. After that is complete and I want to wash it all down and reseal everything before I start putting my interior back in. The heater box is different between 1988 and 1989 so I had to pull that out also. I have my old one so I will get that put back in, in the next couple of days. I have to start ordering more parts!

IMG_20210708_162418085.jpgIMG_20210708_162425070.jpgIMG_20210708_161128939.jpgIMG_20210708_140855322.jpg

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
How is the heater box different between 88 and 89? I used an 89 or 90 BII box in my 86 V8 truck. I didn't notice any differences.

Genuinely curious here.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
How is the heater box different between 88 and 89? I used an 89 or 90 BII box in my 86 V8 truck. I didn't notice any differences.

Genuinely curious here.
I have air conditioning so maybe that is the difference. I would have to take pictures to show you the difference but they are different. Not in the engine compartment but in the cab. The box fits the dash. The 88 and 89 dashes are very different.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
To clarify things in my mind - your truck is/was an '88 with a second gen front clip? And now you're using an '89 cab but putting your '88 dash back in?

That is going to be a treat. The dash, pedal assembly, and steering column mounts are all very different between 1st and 2nd gen trucks. I did the opposite, I put a '92 dash/pedals/column/HVAC ductwork into my '88. If you haven't hauled off your old cab yet, don't, it REALLY helps to have basically the firewall section to compare and rob sections from. I had to use a lot of stuff from a donor cab I had on hand... check out my build thread, starting at post #60 for an idea what you're up against, it's basically what I did but in reverse.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
To clarify things in my mind - your truck is/was an '88 with a second gen front clip? And now you're using an '89 cab but putting your '88 dash back in?

That is going to be a treat. The dash, pedal assembly, and steering column mounts are all very different between 1st and 2nd gen trucks. I did the opposite, I put a '92 dash/pedals/column/HVAC ductwork into my '88. If you haven't hauled off your old cab yet, don't, it REALLY helps to have basically the firewall section to compare and rob sections from. I had to use a lot of stuff from a donor cab I had on hand... check out my build thread, starting at post #60 for an idea what you're up against, it's basically what I did but in reverse.

This is the third time that I have done my truck. It was an 88 and I already had an 89 cab on it once before. I am doing the same thing again. I kept all of the parts from the old cab that I need to transfer to the new one. All of the hard work of figuring out how to make everything fit I already did the last time so this time it's no sweat.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nice! That will make it easy. I had a ton of time into figuring out how to mount all that stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals