• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tie Rod Replacement 97 4x4

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Tie rod assembly is shot (among other things) looking to replace. Anything I should look out for during install? I am a motorcycle guy, not a car guy, and while not an idiot need advice on small things I might overlook. Thanks in advance.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Helps to either count the threads or take the best measurement you can when you take the old ones off. That way you have a baseline for how far the new ones need to go back on. This will get your alignment "close" enough that you can drive to an alignment shop. (Yes you will need an alignment)

You live in NY so put anti seize on all the threads. And get rod ends with grease fittings and not "permanently lubed" ends.

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Helps to either count the threads or take the best measurement you can when you take the old ones off. That way you have a baseline for how far the new ones need to go back on. This will get your alignment "close" enough that you can drive to an alignment shop. (Yes you will need an alignment)

You live in NY so put anti seize on all the threads. And get rod ends with grease fittings and not "permanently lubed" ends.
Thank you.
and while I'm sure a lot of this will become obvious to me as I begin the work, I would be a fool not to inquire here before hand.
Ive read a bit about camber adjustment on this truck, confused as to whether I will need to purchase and install an adjustable bushing or if the proper alignment/camber can be achieved as is.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thank you.
and while I'm sure a lot of this will become obvious to me as I begin the work, I would be a fool not to inquire here before hand.
Ive read a bit about camber adjustment on this truck, confused as to whether I will need to purchase and install an adjustable bushing or if the proper alignment/camber can be achieved as is.
Doing the tie rods won't affect the camber only toe-in/out. But when you get it aligned they will check and adjust the camber anyway if necessary so it's nothing to worry about unless you are replacing more than the tie rods.

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Doing the tie rods won't affect the camber only toe-in/out. But when you get it aligned they will check and adjust the camber anyway if necessary so it's nothing to worry about unless you are replacing more than the tie rods.
Thank you dirt man.
Appreciate the guidance.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yep, I'm with Dirtman...

You "can" do your own alignment if only doing that, but it's kinda tedious and can be frustrating... if you have a flat driveway eyeball it at first and maybe take a tape measure and go for 1/8" toe in at the wheel under the steering linkage compared to a similar spot measured under the radius arms on the back side of the wheel. then roll it forward about 8' then check again, then back like 15' then forward like 8' again and recheck... I bought some harbor freight wheel dollies to skip some steps...

You can get really close with this method, I honestly haven't taken a TTB or TIB Ranger or Explorer to an alignment shop, my '90 wears tires but not horrible, it's just because the radius arms aren't at a good angle and the alignment migrates. My '90 was screwed when I got it (bent I beam) and I used this method and it doesn't have any tire wear issues... But then again I'm cheap and stubborn in some ways, an alignment shop will likely get it better than the ol calibrated eyeball and tape measure alignment :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals