• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thump thump thump..

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 ranger 4L 5 speed. Once the engine warms up and only at idle, I hear a thump thump thump noise. Sometimes it’s clear as day, others it’s more quiet. I haven a clue which side it’s coming from as it sounds like it comes from both sides.

All functions work as they should; even the cruise control. I know these trucks are all essentially operated by vacuum which leads me to believe it’s something of these sorts but I wanted to ask if anyone else has run into this issue in the past?

I am an automotive mechanic, however just haven’t had the chance to look into in great detail as of yet. I’ve only had the truck about a month and has done it since the day I got it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume the frequency of the noise changes with RPMs?

So you believe it is an "engine noise"

The "thump" describes a low tone vs a "tick" which describes a higher pitch, like a rocker, lifter or fuel injector "tick"

And since it only comes after oil is thinner(warmed up) you may have a main bearing or rod bearing issue.

4.0l OHV engines are not known to have bearing issue but since the truck is new to you there is no history.

You can test for Rod knock by disabling spark on one cylinder at a time, if "thump" stops then that cylinder has the problem

Its possible it could be an exhaust leak
Or fan belt pulley noise

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to add that the thumping will sometimes continue with the engine off. It’ll only thump/thud for 10 or so seconds. This is what leads me to believe it’s something to do with the vacuum system.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would be an important part, lol.

Not sure what vacuum operated system could cause a thump noise, there are only a few vacuum systems
EGR
EVAP
Cab Vents
Power brakes
PCV
PVH(4x4 only)

But a partially blocked heater core or cooling system passage can
If circulation is slow in an area of the head the coolant expands rapidly as it is overheated and can make that thump noise, and it can continue after shut down.
And would only occur after warm up.

A vacuum noise should not depend on engine temp
Although EGR system is only used after warm up
EVAP maybe but it is usually used at startup

There are 3 vacuum "motors" in the cab that open and close vent doors, these doors can make a thump sound, would be a first for me if they are causing the noise

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am leaning to the side of the noise coming from under the hood. I thought maybe the EGR also.

I just did head gaskets on it when I bought it. Cooling system is A OK

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals