• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throwing a code

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am getting a code of P1401. The last time I got that I installed a new Motorcraft DPFE sensor and the code did not come back. So, I did I did the same thing again this time and the code came back. Any suggestions for what else I should check out to get rid of this code?

When I am on one of my performance tunes, I don't get the "check engine" light and no code. I always use the stock tune for emissions test because I don't know if it would pass on a performance tune. I may have to try the performance tune this time if I can't figure out what is throwing the code.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Are the hoses leading to the new sensor clear? Does the engine stall if you manually open the EGR at idle? It should. If it doesn't, the exhaust pipe leading to the EGR could be clogged.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I will check those things. Thank you for giving me some diagnostic guidance.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I checked the two hoses leading to the sensor by connecting a tube to them and blowing through.
Both had no restriction. However, the rear one made a sound kind of like something lightly popped out of it when I blew on it. I blew on it again and it did not make the sound again. I also manually opened the EGR valve with vacuum to the valve controller, and found it would stall the engine at idle.

I then connected a vacuum gauge to the line that goes to the EGR valve. I put the gauge in my cab and went for a drive. I could see the vacuum was functioning properly to activate the EGR valve. I then connected everything as it should be and cleared the codes.

Since then, I have driven my Ranger three times with no code being thrown except for the P1000 which is normal and should eventually clear itself. Before, it would throw the P1401 code soon on the second drive.

It appears the rear tube to the DPFE sensor was plugged and once I blew it out, the problem was solved. I just hope that whatever it was that was plugging the rear tube does not move up to plug the EGR valve.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The EGR is famous for that also. Just like when you opened it manually and the engine stalled, if it gets a piece of dirt in it and it holds it open, the engine will run very rough and may even stall at every stoplight you come to. You can pull it off and blow it out also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals