• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Linkage for SBF, 99' Ranger

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi Fellas,

looking to start my 351w swap into my 99' Ranger in a few weeks. I'm curious to see what you guys with naturally aspirated motors did in regards to throttle linkage, primarily from the pedal to the firewall, firewall to block. I'm sure i can fabricate something but some inspiration would be helpful too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
What induction system are you using?

Sometimes the stock cable can work fine or be modded with a Spectre kit or what have you.

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
What induction system are you using?

Sometimes the stock cable can work fine or be modded with a Spectre kit or what have you.
My goal is to use a 1406 Edelbrock atop an Edelbrock intake. If i was to harvest the throttle cable from an explorer of similar model year with a 5.0L would that be viable? Otherwise i see nothing wrong with my stock cable from my 2.5L if that is compatible.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Lokar has stuff too. A 2.8 cable might work fine as well. The fox platform and crown Vic carb and tbi cables adapt too.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would go fuel injection. Obviously if you are going carb there are no emissions inspection where you are. A A9l and fox harness will work with a 351w then its just a custom gauge cluster.

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I'm content with having it carbureted. Appreciate all the help folks!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I wish I could tell you what vehicle it came from, I found a new throttle cable in my miscellaneous junk box that I was able to use on my Holley carbed 351. Other than having to drill 2 holes to screw it to the firewall it fit like it was made for the truck. It comes out of the firewall, loops around once, and attaches to the cable bracket I fabricated for my Offenhauser manifold. I'll look it over and see if there are any numbers on it. I'd reconsider the Edelbrock carb and consider a Holley, throttle response is better and you can tailor the secondary opening to your application, which a 1406 won't allow you to do. I swapped the Edelbrock off my son's T bird onto my Mustang once and ran it for a week. Throttle response was soggy and it cost me 3 tenths in the quarter at New England dragway. An 80457 Holley is a good street carb and you'll find the calibration real close for your truck. If you don't want more power why'd you do the engine swap?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
My truck is older but I ordered a throttle cable for an '84 F150 with a 351w. All the 302s were 2bbl but the 351w was 4bbl. I don't know if it made a difference in cable length or not. I had to drill 2 holes for it to bolt to the firewall instead of the square snap in deal the Ranger uses.

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I wish I could tell you what vehicle it came from, I found a new throttle cable in my miscellaneous junk box that I was able to use on my Holley carbed 351. Other than having to drill 2 holes to screw it to the firewall it fit like it was made for the truck. It comes out of the firewall, loops around once, and attaches to the cable bracket I fabricated for my Offenhauser manifold. I'll look it over and see if there are any numbers on it. I'd reconsider the Edelbrock carb and consider a Holley, throttle response is better and you can tailor the secondary opening to your application, which a 1406 won't allow you to do. I swapped the Edelbrock off my son's T bird onto my Mustang once and ran it for a week. Throttle response was soggy and it cost me 3 tenths in the quarter at New England dragway. An 80457 Holley is a good street carb and you'll find the calibration real close for your truck. If you don't want more power why'd you do the engine swap?
I'd hate to sacrifice power due to something as simple as a carburetor, i guess i just like the Edelbrock for its availability and small amounts of moving parts aside form the throttle and choke linkage, but for more smiles per gallon, i wouldnt mind the swap

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi fellas, im back again, only this time i'm curious about something else. When swapping an older motor that is not OBD-II compatible is it possible to wire in its electronics (oil pressure guage, coolant temp guage etc...) into the stock guages that already exists on the truck? I'm not afraid of making something of my own or buying new guages and makin em work, but if thats not wholly necessary that would be nice. Anyone have experience with this?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I used the factory gauges except for oil pressure on my 351 swapped 93 Ranger by using a 93 Mustang GT temp sender and a 2nd generation alternator like the truck would have come with. You could use the oil pressure gauge, too, but be aware that it's not really a gauge- when it sees oil pressure the needle goes to about 2/3 scale regardless what the pressure really is. I also looked over the throttle cable and couldn't see any ID numbers. Our old parts manager used to do dealer inventories as a site job and would bring back boxes of unwanted obsolete parts and let us take anything we wanted before he trashed the rest, I suspect that's where the cable came from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals