• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle by wire? 08 Ranger

vfrf2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've been reading about Toyota's issues with the sticking accelerator pedal (as most have seen by now), some sources mention that the problem is actually in the "fly (err throttle) by wire" system Toyota is using and doesn't have anything to do with floor mats.

I have an 08 Ranger with 2.3 and 5 spd manual and was wondering if Ford implemented similar technology in my truck? Just curious...

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not in a Ranger. Many newer cars are wire systems though.

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea and how about the steer by wire cars too
I'm sure all the electrical engineers think it's great idea.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had throttle cables stick when the weather got cold... runaways are not fun no matter how old/new they are.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I really don't think that this electronic stuff is a good idea at all... If for some reason your electronic throttle decided to smash the gas..... or if they started steering by wire "(That would be the worst) your steering module goes out and theres the cliff approching fast, you hit the brake but the fuse blew! And the accelerator sensor went bad, Its going all out!"

News: earlier today a family of 5 committed suicide over the grand canyon. witnesses say they were driving fine but as soon as they hit the last turn... they just gunned it with no attempt to turn at all.

If they put electric wire stuff on cars, no matter how good it is... i'm switching to bikes.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Steer by wire will be ultimately safer and would save you gas mileage from the reduced weight of the steering column and linkage. It's safer because you don't have a 3 foot torpedo shaped metal of a steering column facing your chest in a head on collision with something bigger than you. It's not out yet but it will be sooner than later.

Think of this: most airplanes now are fly by wire. Rudders, flaps, everything is eletronically controlled. For safety reasons they have sometimes up to 4 levels of redundancy on the modules.

The Toyota problem is nothing electrical. The pedal doesn't return, so either it's getting stuck or a spring isn't working, or something similar. It's not the module going out or anything like that, and if a module does go out you essentially lose your ability to accelerate. You can still move in idle and you're supposed to get to the side of the road.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Think of this: most airplanes now are fly by wire. Rudders, flaps, everything is eletronically controlled. For safety reasons they have sometimes up to 4 levels of redundancy on the modules.
Yeah, F-16's for example are fly-by-wire... and they operate just fine.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know I still prefer to have physical control over my vehicles, hence partially why I drive a stick.

I just read the Toyota recall thing. I'm really not sure what it is... they are like it gets stuck but not cause of the mat or anything they just do... somthing about the springs and stiff not returning.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i drive NEW tahoo's(for our sherrif station) sometimes and i will say, stay with cable, there is so much lag time it them
if you need to get out the way it is not happening

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
to add, in my many experiences with these nightmareish systems. if you disconnect the battery the idle will be shit and you will have poor reaction time and sometimes no reaction at all..

volkswagens in particular you have to have the $10k scan tool to reset the damn things.

fords have low/high idle problems when cold because they get gummed up and have to be cleaned.

i also would not like electronic steering at all.. just THINK about it.. how many monster truck shows have you seen on tv or in person where the truck got towed away because the steer by wire/hydraulic system failed and it wouldn't steer anymore. i've seen plenty

what i DO think is a good idea is electric on demand and variable steering ASSIST, and electric suspension.

engine designers are even trying to come up with electric solenoid operated valves, which would be the perfect solution for power bands. the only problem with that is they havn't figured out how to make it open instantly and then come back down gently so the valve doesn't get hammered/belled.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
MY 2 CENTS.......... the ford drive by wire has 3 sensors in the pedal assembly. If one of the sensors fail the throttle body goes to failsafe mode and will idle only. If more than one fails the engine will go to idle for approx 30 seconds then shut off. Also in the pedal assembly is a tension device that makes the pedal FEEL like a cable is connected to it. (This is probably what is causing the Toyota failures) The throttle body has multiple sensors for redundancy and the throttle plate is spring loaded to the closed position. In the event of a stuck pedal placing the shifter in neutral will cause the engine to rev to the rpm limit speed and not cause damage. People are panicking or playing on their phones causing accidents.

Ford is already using electronic assist steering and electric A/C compressors. Cam timing is also electronic controlled and Now with the ECO BOOST the GAS is injected at high pressure directly in the cylinders. Electronics are here to stay and get even more advanced.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
haha f-16's are fly by wire fu** that sh** i won't trust it with my jewels in there. but if the ranger gets "fly by wire" i don't think i will get a new ranger if it is fly by wire especially with other cars with crap like "limp" mode...... like the sentra spec V. who does that crap. sorry gotta clean up the language bein a crew chief and all. hahaha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals