• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thoughts on styles of exhaust

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Wanting to switch out the stock exhaust system just with cat backs, i was thinking just do the usual straight tails out the back but i also thought about running them down by the runners and coming out in front of the rear wheel wells anyone done this? any thoughts kinda thought it would give a different look to it

acroteau23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yup i had my exhaust come out before the rear wheel. i loved it, and it looked great. it didnt last a year. i ripped it off once mudding, and the tip was DESTROYED within a month from rocks and mud hitting it. in my opinion i would just keep it out the back.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
yup i had my exhaust come out before the rear wheel. i loved it, and it looked great. it didnt last a year. i ripped it off once mudding, and the tip was DESTROYED within a month from rocks and mud hitting it. in my opinion i would just keep it out the back.
Run the exhaust over the frame and you wont have that problem.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ what he said just run it over the frame and drill a hole for the pipe to come out

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran them out the back on my F-150, they are slightly tipped down so all you can see is the chrome tips. Looks pretty sharp.

My brother has them coming out at 45's and tipped down, same effect as mine where all you can see is the tips. I like it better and you can hear it more, probably what I will do on my Ranger.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got just the standard single side exit(behind the wheel) on my magnaflow. Been mudding, been on trails, dug the back bumper into hills, hit whoops, no problems whatsoever. Completely protected. That 3.5" polished stainless tip looks really good in the sunlight too when you wipe it down.

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I had a truck i would just put what muffler you want on there and just put a turndown on it under the truck. I like that clean look, no excess stuff . I did this on my mustang and got lots of "where is your exhaust" questions.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ran them out the back on my F-150, they are slightly tipped down so all you can see is the chrome tips. Looks pretty sharp.

My brother has them coming out at 45's and tipped down, same effect as mine where all you can see is the tips. I like it better and you can hear it more, probably what I will do on my Ranger.
Ive always liked where you can only see the tips. I have mine coming out right behind both rear tires. I dont have tips on mine though because I hate when you can see where chrome tip meets the pipe. If i was going to do mine over I would either do them at 45's like above or have them both dump out right under my plate where you can see only tips.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive always liked where you can only see the tips. I have mine coming out right behind both rear tires. I dont have tips on mine though because I hate when you can see where chrome tip meets the pipe. If i was going to do mine over I would either do them at 45's like above or have them both dump out right under my plate where you can see only tips.
What I have, I am squatting when I took this pic:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i love my side exit, 90 degree angle right before the rear tire. chrome tip, i wish the tip was a bit longer and bigger, diameter, but other than that i love it. because its different.

and magnaflow muffler

03 EdGe 30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
BUMP more pics of tail pipes!!! cant decide on how to run my new exhaust.......

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm probably gonna get straight out the back with 45 degree slash cut tips, something like that F150 has.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is a shot of mine. Im squatting down lower than the truck so thats why you can see the pipe going over to the driver side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals