• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on potential purchase

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This truck has XLT badges BUT no power windows, power door locks, or cruise. That is part of the XLT package in 1995 as far as I know, and it looks like the A/C was removed from the truck because there appears to be a part missing under the air intake on the engine and as others have noted, the A/C is missing under the hood. This might have been a clean high mileage truck someone took the hard to get A/C parts off, gave it the XL no A/C controls from another truck, rolled the speedo, and slapped XLT stickers on. Curber?

$5300 with no cruise, no locks, no power windows, no air.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
This truck has XLT badges BUT no power windows, power door locks, or cruise. That is part of the XLT package in 1995 as far as I know, and it looks like the A/C was removed from the truck because there appears to be a part missing under the air intake on the engine and as others have noted, the A/C is missing under the hood. This might have been a clean high mileage truck someone took the hard to get A/C parts off, gave it the XL no A/C controls from another truck, rolled the speedo, and slapped XLT stickers on. Curber?

$5300 with no cruise, no locks, no power windows, no air.
A/C, cruise, elec locks and windows were an option or part of a package for all Trims in 95. Just about everything was an option. Heck, the XL had the radio as an option. Heck (again), an XLT with the XLT Group didn't even get power locks and windows. You'd need the Luxury Group.

Last edited:

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> There’s still the issue that new, super-computerized cars will probably be a pita to get to 150k miles.

My wife bought a used 2013 C-MAX plug in hybrid and has put over 100,000 miles on it and I just (NERVOUSLY) changed the plugs at 153,000. No major problems except it getting rear ended while she was stopped in traffic, from a guy pulling out of a mall parking lot. $2000+ in damages. Luckily he did it literally right in front of a police cruiser which was the next car behind her. Turns out he did not have his license on him and other stuff, the police woman wrote him up for a few things and was none too happy with him, because she told him he was going to court for something.

The worse thing for the car so far is the image for the rear camera flips upside down for no reason. That and Ford wants $400+ for the pass door trim panel, that holds the door handle which broke. I might see if a Focus panel might fit or try plastic welding it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The current market is exactly why im selling my F250 come winter. Im pretty sure 6500-7k is what itll bring...hell it books at like 67 IIRC.

Which is crazy to me.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I knew what it was, really. Just figured "somebody else" would be more right than me. There seems to be a guy or two that corrects me, even if I'm right, they find a way to be "more" right
I know not of whom you speak. We don;t have those in this forum, right?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The current market is exactly why im selling my F250 come winter. Im pretty sure 6500-7k is what itll bring...hell it books at like 67 IIRC.

Which is crazy to me.
I just checked KBB for a crew cab, diesel, 1995, F350, 150k miles. They say 4k-7k for good condition. That's 5-10k too low.
The same truck but with the 460 and single cab they are saying 1.6-3k. That's 3-10k low.

Definitely peruse the classifieds before putting a price on it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Screenshot_20220914-193835_Samsung Internet.jpg

97 F250 HD 120k, "good" condition, 460/auto/2wd.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
View attachment 82205

97 F250 HD 120k, "good" condition, 460/auto/2wd.
Iono. Maybe I had manual diesels on the mind. That’s an extra premium. If it’s unmolested and pretty, I’d want really close to that 10k. 460s get terrible mpg, but can pull. I’m guessing you could get that top number, but actual sale numbers is a bit of a mystery as previously stated.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Iono. Maybe I had manual diesels on the mind. That’s an extra premium. If it’s unmolested and pretty, I’d want really close to that 10k. 460s get terrible mpg, but can pull. I’m guessing you could get that top number, but actual sale numbers is a bit of a mystery as previously stated.
Around here being a big block/2wd is a hinderance. Most guys would pay 3-4k more for a beat to hell 4wd PSD with 300k then a nice, pretty low mileage 460 2wd.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I found a low milage (25k) ‘09 2wd s/c on a dealer lot. 4cyl/auto but clean-until you looked underneath. Showed a lot of overspray on things like tailpipe & rear light wire harness, windshield weatherstripping. Asking 14K for it. Could see many new parts on front end such as shocks, calipers, sway bar links. Wonder how bad it looked before the paint? Was tempting but passed. Really want another V6, preferably a 4wd. Cant believe the paint looked so great until you got close and saw all the place overspray was at.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I found a low milage (25k) ‘09 2wd s/c on a dealer lot. 4cyl/auto but clean-until you looked underneath. Showed a lot of overspray on things like tailpipe & rear light wire harness, windshield weatherstripping. Asking 14K for it. Could see many new parts on front end such as shocks, calipers, sway bar links. Wonder how bad it looked before the paint? Was tempting but passed. Really want another V6, preferably a 4wd. Cant believe the paint looked so great until you got close and saw all the place overspray was at.
14k? Thats nuts. I know it seems like the later (98+) rangers seemed to rot underneath worse then the older ones did.

As for prices ive seen alot of 09-11's going for 18-20k....which is nuts to me.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 1998 was an XLT and had no AC, power windows, or locks. All those must have been a separate add on package.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
kbb values are no where near what real world is here in south texas.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My 1998 was an XLT and had no AC, power windows, or locks. All those must have been a separate add on package.
My first Ranger, a 2000, was an XLT, had A/C, carpet, privacy glass, rear slider and pop-out extended cab windows (no third door) and heavy suspension/towing or something like that (no hitch but larger brakes was what it amounted to). That was all of the upgrades, it was manual transmission, manual locks, manual windows, no cruise.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Don't know if someone has said it yet but now is not the time to be selling to replace it with something else. Only selling to keep the extra cash because it was a spare vehicle. Reality is what are you going to replace it with.? Something 8 grand of normal value.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals