• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on Bronco II so far/Removing factory liner from body?

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Skip to second to last paragraph for question about liner.

So as time has gone on and I've spent more time with Bronquito, I've learned the reality of buying a rust belt vehicle. There's a few rust holes in the body that need to be patched under the drivers seats and the floor under the dash. Overall, not terrible, but work to be done none the less.

Body mount bushings are in terrible shape and need to be replaced, but I'm going to defer that to a shop. I prefer not to mess with it. I do need to hit the frame with a wire wheel and some rust reformer. Debating a top coat of rubber undercoating. It would probably be easier to do the frame if I did the body mount bushings myself since I'd have more access to the top of the frame.

It's been cool taking apart the front end and seeing how everything is held together. I took the bumper off, grill, headlights, and I almost have one of the fenders off, but I can't seem to find the last bolt(s). I think its behind the wheel well, but haven't been able to take that out (read on).

In trying to get to a rust hole in the body under the glove box (just on the other side of the wheel well from the outside), One of the heads came off on a bolt securing the wheel well, so I need to figure out how to get that out. I also broke the head off the bolt securing one of the rear seats. I broke an extractor trying to get it out, so I need to order some diamond tip bits of sanding stones for the dremel.

The carpet under the passenger seat around the floor pan was soaked and moldy. I took it out and took advantage of the clear South Florida skies the last few weeks to let the carpet dry and kill the mold. I still need to rent a spot cleaner and maybe see if I can find a steam cleaner.

The floor pans have some sort of rubber liner from the factory. You can see it in the picture (the parts of the floor that aren't rusted/exposed). On the passenger side, I scraped it all off since it was saturated with moisture but that made it quite easy to take off. I'm debating whether or not to take all of it off in the front seat area since I'll be putting down aftermarket thermo-acoustic panels anyway. Removing it will also give it out of the way when patching the body. However, it's quite difficult to remove. How can I get this to come off easily? I imagine there must be something to soak it in.

Little by little its coming together. I'm enjoying myself while working on it much more than I enjoyed the full size. This is my first project car (excluding the full size bronco, long story) that I've spent time on. Not the most savvy but I can work with tools and I've been doing a lot of reading on the model.

Attachments

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rust makes everything a nightmare to work on. If you're going to do the frame and other parts I don't see why not do the body mounts as well. At least in my area body shops won't touch, you have to pay restoration shop $$ to fix it.

I personally used a combination of scraper and a drill with a wire brush attachment. Worked for me until I decided to just get another cab.

How bad are the rust spots? May be worth doing a floor pan replacement if ya have a welder

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have been able to get that stuff off with a putty knife. Usually I've found that it's dried out and flaking off anyway... I think it's more like tar than rubber. You can get scraper attachments for sawzalls, maybe that would work, or one for an oscillating tool. I'd either leave it off once you're done fixing the rust or use bedliner, Dynamat, etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been able to get that stuff off with a putty knife. Usually I've found that it's dried out and flaking off anyway... I think it's more like tar than rubber. You can get scraper attachments for sawzalls, maybe that would work, or one for an oscillating tool. I'd either leave it off once you're done fixing the rust or use bedliner, Dynamat, etc.
Yeah, mine seamed like some sort of asphalt material.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Either a heat gun and scraper or dry ice and a hammer.
Don'tnt use rubber undercoating, it traps moisture underneath and it rusts worse. Use Fluid Film. It is lanolin based and will last a season. It creeps into all the nooks and crannies. Reapply every fall.

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Rust makes everything a nightmare to work on. If you're going to do the frame and other parts I don't see why not do the body mounts as well. At least in my area body shops won't touch, you have to pay restoration shop $$ to fix it.

I personally used a combination of scraper and a drill with a wire brush attachment. Worked for me until I decided to just get another cab.

How bad are the rust spots? May be worth doing a floor pan replacement if ya have a welder
Dad has a large backyard so i decided i’ll take the time to do it and just leave it back there since it will probably take me a few days.

I thought about the floor pans. I found them on bronco graveyard, but the pans wouldn’t sit where the holes are. The rust at the pans isn’t that bad, but spots where the holes are are probably going to be cut out and i’ll cut scrap metal to fit the holes. Luckily i have a good welder who can help. Some told me to fiberglass it, but i think i rather do it right.

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Bedliner sounds like a great idea. I didn’t think of that. Good call. I’ll try the putty knife too.

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Either a heat gun and scraper or dry ice and a hammer.
Don'tnt use rubber undercoating, it traps moisture underneath and it rusts worse. Use Fluid Film. It is lanolin based and will last a season. It creeps into all the nooks and crannies. Reapply every fall.
Heat gun sounds like a great idea. i haven’t heard of fluid film but i’ll check it out. Shran’s reply made me think of using bedliner on the frame. i’ll have to read around to see if anyone has done that. What do you think?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the bedliner adheres, great. If it doesn't then you have a water trap. Every old vehicle I've worked on that has an asphalt coating I see it peeling and rust underneath. Inside a cab makes sense as there isn't rocks and crap hitting and leaving divots for water to infiltrate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals