• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts and recommendations

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual
What’s up everybody. I’m wanting to put some wheels spacers on my ranger. I’ve currently got it setting in 265/75 r15 Cooper AT3s. Been running this set up for a long time but I’m thinking it’d look good with a little bit wider stance. I’d love to see what some of you are running if you have wheel spacers, to get an idea. Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm personally not a fan of wheel spacers. For myself,,, I would buy wheels with less backspacing if I wanted to increase track width.

That said... many people run them. Just don't buy cheap ones and check them often... use loctite.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what he said
IMO wheel spacers are a bad idea

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual
It’s a 2wd truck. It’s not much of a work truck either. This is for looks. I’m aware of all the cons that come with wheel spacers. If you don’t have any suggestions on what size wheel spacers look good, then pls don’t reply. I’m trying to talk to ford ranger enthusiasts not FORD certified mechanics.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It’s a 2wd truck. It’s not much of a work truck either. This is for looks. I’m aware of all the cons that come with wheel spacers. If you don’t have any suggestions on what size wheel spacers look good, then pls don’t reply. I’m trying to talk to ford ranger enthusiasts not FORD certified mechanics.
I am a “FORD certified mechanic”... also an ASE master tech in both car/ light truck and medium/heavy duty truck.
Wheel adapters or spacers?
My opinion... wheel adapters are fine to use. Buy quality spacers, torque them properly, and use locktite on the inner lug nuts.
I put over well 100k miles on a set of Eibach adapters on 2 different Rangers. They never gave me any issues. They never loosened up, I had no vibrations or wheel wobble, and the only time I ever touched them was when I replaced the rotors or swapped them to the second truck.

Ford used “adapters” on the front of pretty much every 4x4 dually (not exactly the same, but similar concept). Quigley used adapters on the front of their 4x4 conversion vans. Its not uncommon for major manufacturers to use them.

If you mean wheel spacers (those plates with all different lug patterns that you hang on the studs behind the wheels and never really center.)... I won’t use them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I am a “FORD certified mechanic”... also an ASE master tech in both car/ light truck and medium/heavy duty truck.
My opinion... wheel adapters are fine to use. Buy quality spacers, torque them properly, and use locktite on the inner lug nuts.
I put over well 100k miles on a set of Eibach adapters on 2 different Rangers. They never gave me any issues. They never loosened up, I had no vibrations or wheel wobble, and the only time I ever touched them was when I replaced the rotors or swapped them to the second truck.

Ford used “adapters” on the front of pretty much every 4x4 dually (not exactly the same, but similar concept). Quigley used adapters on the front of their 4x4 conversion vans. Its not uncommon for major manufacturers to use them.

If you mean wheel spacers (those plates with all different lug patterns that you hang on the studs behind the wheels and never really center.)... I won’t use them.
Shhhhhh he specifically said he doesn't want your opinion! Get your knowledge and experience out of here!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Shhhhhh he specifically said he doesn't want your opinion! Get your knowledge and experience out of here!
Please allow me to quote PetroliumJunkie...

Fight me!

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual

Great input. Thank you! That was my plan. Get quality adapters and torque them to spec w loctite. I would some nice hub centric adapters! I wouldn’t personally trust just some cheap piece of aluminum with holes for the bolts lol.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm Ford certified and a Master ASE Technician too. @Byronator ... wheel adapters are risky business... there are many horror stories about using them. No need to get your underwear in a bunch... you asked the question... you were getting honest answers.

IMPORTANT - Most wheel adapters are just some cheap piece of aluminum with bolt holes. As I said... don't buy cheap ones.

Be safe out there...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
no spacers, the lightest weight wheels u can get.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm Ford certified and a Master ASE Technician too. @Byronator ... wheel adapters are risky business... there are many horror stories about using them. No need to get your underwear in a bunch... you asked the question... you were getting honest answers.

IMPORTANT - Most wheel adapters are just some cheap piece of aluminum with bolt holes. As I said... don't buy cheap ones.

Be safe out there...
But he doesn’t want advice against using them... he just wants the happy, everything will be fine stories.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you are going to run spacers, get ones that are thick enough to completely cover the length of the stud torque them to the torque spec for your truck with blue grade thread locker. Treat them like a new set of wheels and check the torque a time or two after driving some to make sure they are completely seated.

That is what I did with my trailer after I upgraded to wider tires so that the tire and rim would clear the frame. They have geld up fine as has the wheel bearings.

All that being said, spacers in general are not a great idea and are more of a band aid fix. Rims with the proper backspacing would be better.

I plan on changing the axle on the trailer to one better suited for the backspacing I need in order to increase the load capacity and eliminate the spacers as well to eliminate the potential negative effects spacers can cause

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
this thread is funny

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Most wheels are round...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals