• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thornturds?

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there anyway to make these tires better than what people say about them? I have a guy that said he had a set of 35 14.50 thornbirds with great tread that he would trade me for my 37 12.50 military ozs. I hate to keep goin down in size but the militarys blow a big one for just about anything and nobody around here wants to buy them. So, if I trade this guy can I cut them to make them do any better in the mud or should I just keep lookin? And if I can cut them has anybody got a pic of someone who has done this?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt run them, would take alot alot of work to turn them into a decent offroad tire. they are basically an all terrain with lugs on the side....and at the end of the day everybody is still going to say your running thornturds.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you'd have to spend an entire weekend with a tire groover to make those things close to useful.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've heard that they're a pretty good desert wheeling tire for light offroad use, but not much more than that. I think you're better off sticking with your ozs.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
actually, u would be very surprised at what a truck running thornbirds will do, have run a full size blazer and ext cab yota on 35x12.5s both do very well especially in the rooty shit we have out my way alot

id rock a set of the 35x14.5 thornturds, id buy em if they were local lol

Last edited:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard they are pretty good if you don't do anything too hardcore, but if I'm gonna get a set of TSL's I'll get a set of super swampers. I do like the Pitbull tires though. A couple of friends of mine have run those and they're fantastic on and off road.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've heard they are pretty good if you don't do anything too hardcore, but if I'm gonna get a set of TSL's I'll get a set of super swampers. I do like the Pitbull tires though. A couple of friends of mine have run those and they're fantastic on and off road.
trust me, there plenty good for offroad, the problem is u need to know how to drive runnin them, they like to dig, there a very dig happy tire. and they definatly aint no all terrain......

if u can get em id run em and call it a day

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I ran a set of these a long time ago, I can tell you they are a very heavy tire, and have one hell of an aggressive look...On the street. Offroad, like said, they don't do nothing til they dig, it's actually the side lugs that do the work. You also need to have power to spin them, as they need rotating speed to self clean. Road manners are surprisingly quiet. Didn't have any experience with them doing any rock crawling/trail riding, so can't comment on that :icon_thumby:
SVT

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
i have the same tire (even the same size) on my 94 Ex. I personally like them.

On-road:
They run good on the street after 2-3 miles. They like to flatten out a little overnight. After they become round again, they ride nice. Although you do get some nice lug-slap when stopping for a light on the highway. (It feels like your on a rumble strip.)

Off-road:
They work good for where I run and what I do. I run In sand mostly. Beach, pine barrens,etc. I think its more of the width and flotation that keeps me from getting stuck. I dont do much rock crawling, but when I can get somewhere there are rocks, the side lugs are what really grab.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are the military tires really that bad? i've noticed that treadwright is recapping the military casings with a better tread. price isn't bad either

take a look HERE

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK, sorry if it seems like I'm biased against thornbirds, but it really depends on what you're wheeling on. People around here where it's real rocky and dirt and not much else run TSL Radial's, Krawler's, KM2's or T/A KO's. I'm not too familiar with the terrain you guys get out in the mideast/west and east coast, I've only been to Utah, Arizona, California, and Neveda, so I'm an expert on desert terrain and not much more than that. I do know that people who get a lot of snow use Pitbull Growler's. I think the Growler's have almond shells in them so it acts like a snow tire without having to use chains or studs. Anybody else out there with wooded or other conditions will have to explain what tires to get because desert is all I'm used to:annoyed: At the end of the day, it's your decision, so do what feels right!:icon_cheers:

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 D-S
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6in
Tire Size
35x12.5x15 Pitbull rockers
Had a buddy running 33 in Turds on his B2, I was running 32in TSL's on a Chevy Luv. We were playing in mud and clay. He spent a lot of time on the wrong end of my tow strap, while I was still in 2wd. They just balled up and turned into a big ball of mud and had no traction at all.
As for the Rockers, they are insane offroad. I was running 38in TSL's on a full size Bronco with a 400 SBF, room mate had a 'Yota on 37in Rockers. We had a mud bog in the backyard. I tried to turn left and climb the wall to get out, my Bronco just slid and kept going straight. The 'Yota could turn left and climb out of the bog:icon_thumby: I am going to buy as set for my B2 once i get a job again:icon_welder:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Thornbirds are decent in sand and rocks but there are better tires for either. Downright dangerous on-road in the rain. Best use for them is on a show truck trailer queen and soaked in Armor All.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I did get a couple sayin they would work I might go ahead and contact the guy. The OZs just piss me off every time I look at them. If nothin else I could prolly sell the thornbirds to some high schooler for more than I could get out of the oz's. If I do get them I will post a pic and let you guys know my thoughts on them. Thanks for all the personal experiences.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Man, I would kill for a set of 15's just to be able to run A/T's of any kind. I'm tired of rollin' on teeny tiny little 14's with walmart A/T's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals