• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

this this and that=good?

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
would this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq-presario-sr1620nx/4507-3118_7-31589079.html?tag=mncol;psum

with this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127412

this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260017

and this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111002

be good to play dvd, ntsc cable, and streaming media (movies/music) on, to my plasma?
plus some added memory, and anything else? or is it a waste of time?

this thing is fast enough for me during my typical uses. Ive watched a few streaming movies on it and it hasnt frozen up..its just the graphics really suck, and im not sure if thats the vid or my pc, but every vid I watch seems the same quality.
I currently have it hooked to my receiver via headphone->rca plug cable...but I want the optical sound, or would I get that with the HDMI on the GPU?

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I dont game...I have a whole shwack of old outdated a/v equipment running into my brand new plasma with 2km of cables running everywhere. Would rather just run HDMI from PC to tv and optical to receiver. Play DVDs on the PC, run my playlists, watch old streaming movies etc and get rid of all the old crap I have with minimal investment.

I dont need the performance of a full on gaming PC with a quad core phenom, 9800 graphics card and 8gb of memory....althought I already have such a wishlist saved on newegg for $700 shipped to my door....but Im new to PCs and would like to try this on a lower scale/budget for a while and see how much I get into it. I can always grab a nicer case and put it up on kijiji, craigslist or something if I decide to sell it after and upgrade.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think everything should work alright. A Sempron is not really the ideal processor for a lot of stuff though...you should check into a different one, like an Athlon 64. I think Semprons were either socket 939 or AM2...in which case you should just be able to drop in a new one, reload your OS, and go.

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The memory you have in your Compaq will not work with that motherboard. DDR vs DDR2. Your power supply may also not work with that motherboard.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HTPC does not equal gaming rig. You need about half the PC to play Blu-Ray video as you need to play high end video games.

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The memory you have in your Compaq will not work with that motherboard. DDR vs DDR2. Your power supply may also not work with that motherboard.
I understand that, the second link I posted in my last post is a CPU/RAM combo amd phenom 9600 quad core and 4gb of ddr2.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

The reason I said go with a gaming pc is you will get the next 6+ years of use. My pc was a gaming pc from 6 years ago. I have AIW 9800 pro and FTA sat card in it. With my FTA card it will run my cpu at 60-80%. My buddy with his gaming pc which is under year old runs about 30-40%. I stream video and audio to my other 4 computers thru out the house.

Just my opinion spend the money on a quality system or replace every year or two. I find Dells and other prebuilt computers are just plain old junk. All they are good for is surfing the web and minor stuff.

That's why I said check out memory express here in the city. They stand behind what they sell.

Just my 2cents.

igiveup

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ehh, maybe back before Blu-Ray and 1080p encoding when there were 2GHz single-core processors and Radeon 9500/9800s around, that would be a problem, but if you build a PC that can just play Blu-Ray videos right now, that's about all you'll need for ten years.

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well considering my single core sempron 3400 @2ghz & 512kb ram is still doing me just fine and I bought it in 05. I just got turned onto media applications available to computers now. Id like to be a short distance over par for the minimal needs to watch blu ray...although I wont even be watching blu ray movies on it. My local vid store doesnt have em.
Just typical dvds, streaming media and normal computing needs....and the ability to play blu ray cuz it will soon be the minimal standard imo (i just wont buy the drive yet).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals