• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

this might be stupid but help me out

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
how many yards will fit in our beds? i plan on getting some mulch this weekend i know yards weigh between 600 to 800 but its suppose to rain up to 16 inches im mo this weekend so i should assume the mulch would weigh 900lbs a yard? correct me if im wrong. also having a hard time finding tow capiticy for my truck i have a 1993 ranger 2wd auto extended cab 6 foot bed. thank you all

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
I run a short bed (6') and have hauled a half-yard of pea gravel. It didn't quite fill the bed but it set the tires to within an inch of top of the inner rear fender. I only had to haul it 1000ft up the road but on a ford 7.5 rear I would never do it again. Pea gravel weighs in at roughly 1.5 tons per yard. That was the first and last time I ever hauled anything for my ex-boss:annoyed: (put a camper shell on just for that purpose).

Check the ratings in your vehicle manual. It should tell you how much you can safely place in your bed. Most stock rears in the 2nd gen rangers are rated for 2750. Just remember that the weight of the bed, frame,passengers and other equipment cut into that capacity. Honestly I wouldn't want to haul more than 600lbs. So find out how much mulch would weigh in at 600 dry and go from there. Also for those with newer trucks, remember if you exceed the limits of the axle, any damage sustained would not be covered under any warranty.

Last edited:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I never even thought about loading capacity since I registered since I haven't needed to haul anything lately except my axles. I'm actually glad this was asked and answered. Now to calculate how much I can haul with the Ford 9... (don't answer. I'll find out on my own :) )

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I have a 9" and was able to haul 20-some-odd bags of mulch. I looked like a prerunner but had no issues otherwise. When I had the 8.8 I carried almost 200 small retaining wall blocks from one side of Denver to the other. Wasnt able to get over 55 or it got a little swirly. As long as you aren't doing it frequently you should be able to haul most things up to about a ton short distances as long as you are careful. But there is always a risk of damage so be careful! Btw load and tow capacities are two different numbers. One is for the bed and the other is for the ball.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The bed is approx. (6' by 5' by 20" tall). Multiplying that out (2 yds x 1.6 yds x 0.6 yds) totals 1.9 cubic yards.

If wet mulch is 900 lbs per cubic yard, then your bed will hold 1700 lbs, up to the bed rails. But we usually pile it up beyond rails, don't we?

Happy gardening!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lol cvar!! +1. I was just going to say do your math!!!

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put a wet load of dirt from a bobcat front end loader in the bed of a b2300 once and it bottomed out. Thats about 1/2 a cubic yard. Truck wasn't to happy with it either.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
well i now know the math thank you. now for dirt that weighs allot more than mulch especially wet and i knew that and would never try that even if dry. but thanks every one for the answers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals