• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is driving me crazy! B3000 Flex Fuel

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've always used Autolite 103s or 104s
Yes, it looks like they recommend the 104's for my year, and the 103's/104's for the 99ish rangers with the 103's for Flex fuel model. Not sure what the change was that called for the hotter plugs but I think I'm going to go with the app104 or xp104 for my '03.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Told ya..................never will be a consensus on any spark plug for any engine....................ever :)

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Told ya..................never will be a consensus on any spark plug for any engine....................ever :)
So first, let me say thanks to all who responded, especially RonD.
I have looked at a lot (a lot) of threads that have posts dated over many years, and they have been on a handful of different forums, and I have seen RonD's name popup responding to spark plug threads that start out just like mine.
So thank you very much for taking the time to reply to everyone, share the waste spark system info, and try to be helpful.

And I know that there will always be a difference of opinion on spark plugs when there are so many choices.
But I guess what I was frustrated with was that I could not find consistent responses to the same question. Some things were consistent, like the recommendation for Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs. That consistently came up in responses. And the recommendation usually for the double platinum version due to the Waste Spark design.

So now I got it down to two brands...Ok... now which model?
So I jump on Rockauto, Autozone, Advance, etc and I get, not only different part numbers for either given brand, but then there are different recommendations for each variant of the vehicle and the sites are not always consistent on how they separate which parts go to what.
So I put in my variant, 2003 Mazda B3000 and I get X results.
Then I cross check (just to make sure) and put in the 2003 Ford Ranger, but i get Y results. WTF?!? I thought they were supposed to be the same?!? And then the Ranger has some Flex Fuel (small note below part) recommended parts that don't show up on the B3000 tab. o_O Whyyy... lol
So if I had just gone through and acted like the Mazda B3000 is truly its own vehicle and not a Ranger clone, I would have never seen these other parts, but that's where I started searching threads.

I suppose I would have liked to have stumbled across a chart that broke it down.
Example: ( NOTE: THIS IS COMPLETELY WRONG AND MADE UP!!! IT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE and I don't know the different generations so please forgive the years used...)

Recommended Spark Plugs1996-1999 Ford Ranger 3.0/ Mazda B3000 Non-Flex Fuel1996-1999 Ford Ranger 3.0/ Mazda B3000 Flex Fuel2000-2003 Ford Ranger 3.0/ Mazda B3000 Non-Flex Fuel2000-2003 Ford Ranger 3.0/ Mazda B3000 Flex Fuel
Motorcraft*SP-432SP-495SP-500SP-495
Autolite*APP103 or XP103APP103 or XP103APP104 or XP104APP103 or XP103
*these have had mostly consistent results by our members. try all others at your own risk*

...But no such chart was found. (It would be nice if this forum had a stickied thread :sneaky: "Looking for Spark Plugs??? START HERE")

My previous vehicle did not have that many different versions, so if I looked up spark plugs, for example, it wasn't too many searches and threads read before I could find the exact same 2 or 3 recommendations come up over and over again. So this is all just different for me, I suppose.

At least I have made up my mind to try the Autolites. There is still some confusion for me around the Motorcraft as to whether are not they are double platinum or not or platinum tipped ends/centers etc. Where as the Autolites are very clearly advertised as double platinum.
As far as the 103's vs the 104's, I can only assume that there was some change made in the engine by 2003 that caused them to start recommending the hotter 104's but at least it is consistent on their website along with all part sites mentioned above for my year, whether Ford or Mazda is picked, Flex Fuel or Non-Flex Fuel. That is really the only logic I can provide with my choice. I would have liked to pick a Motorcraft but perhaps next time.

Anyways, thanks again to everyone for their responses. I have already gained so much from this forum. Thanks for having a resource like this out there for guys like me.

I will have similar questions for all other parts I'm planning to replace as well. Not sure if I should start another thread, so I'll put it here just in case.
Brand/Part #'s for:
Spark Plug Wires - I've seen Motorcraft or Autolite recommended but neither of those is under Mazda tab on RockAuto
Valve Cover Gaskets - Mahle? Fel-Pro? Other? w/ or w/o grommets? - Both covers seem to be leaking
Camshaft Synchronizer - Cardone? Standard Motor Products? Other? w/ or w/o step-on plug? - I have the chirping coming from the back of the engine.
and I'm sure more later, but those are the big ones for now

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a chirping cam sync unit puts you in the danger zone. take the top plastic piece off and put a few drops of oil (any kind) at the base of the shaft.
then start shopping for a new cam sync unit.

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
a chirping cam sync unit puts you in the danger zone. take the top plastic piece off and put a few drops of oil (any kind) at the base of the shaft.
then start shopping for a new cam sync unit.
Any suggestions for a replacement?
Rockauto has the brands I mentioned above under the Mazda tab.
But they do have a Motorcraft under the '03 Ford Ranger tab..at a whopping $106!! I would consider it if I knew for sure it was compatible.
They also have some available at local auto parts store of course..
Haven't done any searches to see if there are any common recommended part. Hopefully there are some recent threads I can find.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I was running Bosch Platinum Splitfires in my 3.0, with great results. Just to add to the confusion.

Not these exact ones, but very similar.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 3.0l Vulcan, 1999 and up, 2 wire cam synchros are interchangeable

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, so I just purchased a good amount of stuff.

I decided to order the Motorcraft SP500 spark plugs due to finding this on Motorcraft's website (parts.ford.com):

Spark Plug Part #: SP500 (22F)Ford Motorcraft M200
Usages:
2001 - 2004, Ranger, Liter:3.0, Cylinder(s):6, BoreIn:3.5039, StrokeIn:3.1496, FLEX, Gap: .044, Plug Material: Finewire Platinum, Type - Standard
Read more
In Stock

I highlighted and bold in red the reasons why. Also, I ordered them from Advance, so if they don't work for some reason, I'll take them back and get the Autolite APP104 's.

I also ordered the Motorcraft WR-6068 along with the Fel-Pro VS 50374 R permadry valve cover gasket set from Advance as well. I will compare the wires to the existing ones and return if necessary as all websites list them for Ford Rangers only and not Mazda B3000 's :mad:

Then I ordered the Motorcraft DA2089 camshaft synchronizer and the Fel-Pro ES 72180 valve cover grommets as well.
On that note, can anyone point me in the direction of how to install those grommets? I've bookmarked a few valve cover gasket swap threads already, but just asking in case they're not covered in there...

I also could use a camshaft position sensor part number as well. Amazon is recommending a Motorcraft DU81 and that's all I've found doing a quick search, but have no idea if that's right?

Thanks again everyone,

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fun fact. The spark plug was invented by a man named Edmond Berger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals