• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is driving me crazy! B3000 Flex Fuel

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello all,
Just a brief intro: I just purchased a 2003 Mazda B3000 Flex Fuel for trips to Home Depot and it will be my son's first vehicle. I am attempting to do some maintenance on the vehicle to get it running as smooth as I can. I have some technical background as I have been doing basic appliance repair for the last 2 years, but I have not done much mechanical work on vehicles.

Okay, so the issue is that I am going mad trying to figure out the right spark plugs for my truck.
I have been reading thread after thread and have only concluded that I should use Motorcraft or Autolite.
I also read that most recommend double plat because of the sparking order, or possibly fine wire plat. Don't know if it matters.
BUT, where I am struggling is which part number for either brand??
EVERY site I go to offers at least 2-3 options in those brands. Rockauto for instance recommends the Motorcraft SP-439A under the Mazda B3000 tabs. But when I switch to the Ford Ranger 3.0 tab they have the SP-432 OR the SP-500, mentioning that the sp-500 is for Flex fuel. Then why isn't it under the B3000 tab?!? Also, both Motorcraft plugs are under the Single Platinum tab, but on Advance auto parts site, the description mentions double Platinum and on other sites it doesn't..
(Edit: Don't know if it matters but I don't ever plan on using Flex Fuel. I have no plans to use anything other than 87 unleaded. )
They also have the Autolite APP104 mentioned under Mazda and Ford variants, but neither mention Flex Fuel.

AND once I think I decided on one, I read a thread that mentions a different spark plug part number..or I read another thread that says to make sure the temperature range is accurate or it will run like crap (I read a thread by Bob Ayers mentioning this).

Also, most of the definitive threads that actually mention part numbers are from 2011 or later and they no longer exist. The original part numbers seem to have been replaced for the most part but then the true replacement is lost in translation or something or they recommended a different heat range, or...
Ugh.. it's driving me bonkers.

Thanks to TRS as I have already received a wealth of knowledge just reading through different threads, but I had to make an account so I could get a definitive answer on this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Doesn't a Mazda list the spark plug number on the underhood decal like a Ford? Once you have the original number you should be able to cross it over to the updated Motorcraft number easily.

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Doesn't a Mazda list the spark plug number on the underhood decal like a Ford? Once you have the original number you should be able to cross it over to the updated Motorcraft number easily.
I can check when I get off work, but that's one of the things I'm worried about is getting it "crossed" over. I know I've read that, at one point, the recommended replacement plug was a whole heat range higher and actually didn't work too well. I think this was Bob Ayers' post. I'll see if I can link it once I'm back at my PC.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yeah. I think I understand. I’ll let the plug experts answer.

B338A4EB-A0E8-484C-B50A-F18066A22276.png

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes spark plug choice can be a winding trail, lol

The coating thing, platinum or iridium, is easy to settle
Ford uses a Waste Spark with Dual Spark system, this means TWO spark plugs share ONE coil in the coil pack
And both spark plugs spark at the same time, so 1 spark is "wasted" in the non-firing cylinder
And the two spark plugs are wired in Series, so one spark plug fires "normally" from center to tip, the other spark plug fires in "reverse", tip to center

A Coating helps reduce the wear on the coated surface, the Tip or the Center
So single platinum plugs would wear out the same as regular copper on 3 of the 6 spark plugs

So your choice is 6 regular copper(or nickle), or 6 double platinum spark plugs, don't waste money on single platinum

And this is often where some of the confusion in spark plug numbers come from.
To save money, Ford used two different spark plugs on these engines, single platinum tips, and single platinum centers
So 2 different spark plug numbers, lol
AGSF-22PG (cylinders 1,2,3) and AGSF-22P (cylinders 4,5,6) was factory spec

Motorcraft AGSF-22FM and alternate part number is SP-500 are OK, there is no "flex fuel" spark plug

3.0l gap is .044, regardless of what the emissions label on the rad support says

And as long as cross reference matches one of the Ford(motorcraft) numbers it would be OK to use, the 3.0l doesn't eat up spark plugs like the 4.0l did

1994-2008 Mazda B3000 has same running gear, power train as Rangers of the same years, so same spark plugs would be used

Last edited:

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes spark plug choice can be a winding trail, lol

The coating thing, platinum or iridium, is easy to settle
Ford uses a Waste Spark with Dual Spark system, this means TWO spark plugs share ONE coil in the coil pack
And both spark plugs spark at the same time, so 1 spark is "wasted" in the non-firing cylinder
And the two spark plugs are wired in Series, so one spark plug fires "normally" from center to tip, the other spark plug fires in "reverse", tip to center
So single platinum plugs would wear out the same as regular copper on 3 of the 6 spark plugs

So your choice is 6 regular copper(or nickle), or 6 double platinum spark plugs, don't waste money on single platinum

And this is often where some of the confusion in spark plug numbers come from.
To save money, Ford used two different spark plugs on these engines, single platinum tips, and single platinum centers
So 2 different spark plug numbers, lol
AGSF-22PG (cylinders 1,2,3) and AGSF-22P (cylinders 4,5,6) was factory spec

Motorcraft AGSF-22FM and alternate part number is SP-500 are OK, there is no "flex fuel" spark plug

3.0l gap is .044, regardless of what the emissions label on the rad support says

And as long as cross reference matches one of the Ford(motorcraft) numbers it would be OK to use, the 3.0l doesn't eat up spark plugs like the 4.0l did

1994-2008 Mazda B3000 has same running gear, power train as Rangers of the same years, so same spark plugs would be used
Thank you guys for responding,

Yes, the waste spark system. I've read about that and I think I've seen you post about it in other forums as well.

But what I have seen is mention of a plug with 12FM in the part number, not 22FM as you mentioned. This is an excerpt from another thread I saw and this is what has my eyes crossing, lol:

Below is the plug information from the 1999 Ranger user's manual. Ford stop carrying the AGSW12PP (double platinum) years ago, and substituted the AGSW22PP, used in the 4.0L, and a hotter plug. They didn't run well, and I talked to a Motorcraft rep at SEMA. He said to use the fine-wire version (AGSW12FM). I tried it, and it ran great.
The AWSF32PP is a much hotter plug, and is used in the NON-FFV 3.0L:

Here's the link to the full thread:

In this thread, they also mention yet another plug, the Motorcraft SP-495.

Again, once I get home, I can get to my Chrome browser that has probably 8 tabs opened with different threads on this.

Thank you for breaking down the waste spark system again as I do think that is where some of the factory to aftermarket confusion stemmed from. Just thought by now, in 2020, there would be a consensus as which plug to get.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, there will NEVER be a consensus on spark plugs for any fuel injected engine :)
Carb engines were much the same but way fewer choices back then

Ford uses what they use, which usually changes every few years, lol
Everyone else has their own choice of what they like

Miles on engine also matter, there is a bit more oil to deal with as an engine ages
I think you would be better off with the 22s or 32s than the 12's, and PP's so they last longer

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Info like that would be in your owners manual..... If you don't have one, I would get one.

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Info like that would be in your owners manual..... If you don't have one, I would get one.
Hey, thanks for replying.
I looked into that as well. The problem is there are multiple revisions, some that mention plugs and some that don't. The ones that do have parts that no longer exist. The issue as I understand it is that when replacement parts were recommended, there was something lost in translation and the heat range changed.
I believe there is a manual posted in the TRS library, but it does not mention the spark plugs or says something along the lines of consult your dealer.
Since the dealer most likely doesn't have a counter agent who owns the same truck or cares enough to learn what is best for it, I though this would be the best place to ask. Where others can share best practices and real world results.
I know you could just say try it out and decide for yourself, but I'm planning to buy online and would rather not go through the hassle of returning.

I think if it was as easy as consulting the manual, I'd have the same answer from a lot of people and my online searches would bring up the same results. This has not been the case.

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, there will NEVER be a consensus on spark plugs for any fuel injected engine :)
Carb engines were much the same but way fewer choices back then

Ford uses what they use, which usually changes every few years, lol
Everyone else has their own choice of what they like

Miles on engine also matter, there is a bit more oil to deal with as an engine ages
I think you would be better off with the 22s or 32s than the 12's, and PP's so they last longer
So I guess what I'm trying to do is first, help myself, and then second, help any others for future searches.

But what you're telling me is, right now, in 2020, the correct Motorcraft spark plugs for a 2003 Mazda B3000 Flex Fuel (not that it matters, you mention) is the SP-500 and NOT the SP-432, SP-439, or even the SP-495?

That's what I'm trying to clear up here. I've seen too many contradictions across the web.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would chose the SP500 and use .044 gap

They may come gapped at .054, for the 4.0l engines so check each one before installing

Last edited:

mrstix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally! well sort of.

Linking this here as it took quite a bit of searching to find. It seems to at least provide a correct conversion for the new plugs:

http://spautoparts.com/documents/MotorcraftSparkPlugs.pdf

The SP-500 is a replacement for AGSF22FM
The SP-495 is a replacement for AGSF-12F-M OR AGSF12FM

I am still reading as to which plug was the correct original for the Flex Fuel version for my year (2003). I am coming across info that states that it does matter due to the possibility to use the E85. What I haven't found yet is if it matters if you are not going to use E85...ever, like me.

?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Iridium plugs really are the cat's meow, the stuff is seriously durable as an electrode material - BUT - if it isn't an iridium center wire for these wasted spark systems it's a waste of money. On other types of systems it's the ground electrode that loses the most material, and some iridium plugs have a puck attached to the end. These work fantastic in our Hyundai for example, but would be useless in 3 of the plugs in a Ranger. In general there is more material in the ground electrode, which is why it holds up better than the fine center wire.

The Autolite XP103 have an Iridium-Enhanced Center Electrode and V-Trimmed Platinum Side Wire. That's what's in my 3.0, and it's holding up better than anything I ever tried in the Vulcan or my old Duratec V6.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, nothing wrong with Autolite spark plugs, they hold up well from my experience

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've always used Autolite 103s or 104s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals