• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 has an open front differential

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
exactly what is the front axle? specs say DANA Adventek 190mm 3.73:1
is there a BOM on the axle?
spline counts would be handy to know.
along with the spline count it would be interesting to compare the internals to Jeep Advanteks.
perhaps FCA has an agreement with DANA about parts commonality for the Advantek??

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My FX4 Super Duty was limited slip front and rear. I can see a base model 4x4 being open in the front, but I expect more from a FX4.
I would like to see at least a limited slip in the front. I plan on putting a Torsen in the front of my 2011. The Dana 35 SLA isn't known to take a locker well. Can you do it? Yep. Will the axle live long after it's been engaged a few times? Maybe, maybe not. I'll/we'll have to wait until we have some sort of info in the 2019 to see what is available and what kind of load and abuse it can take.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can try to get the spline count tomorrow. We don't assemble the diffs but we do the the ring and pinions at work. People wanting to do a gear change is in for a rude awakening since its welded and not bolted.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
exactly what is the front axle? specs say DANA Adventek 190mm 3.73:1
is there a BOM on the axle?
spline counts would be handy to know.
along with the spline count it would be interesting to compare the internals to Jeep Advanteks.
perhaps FCA has an agreement with DANA about parts commonality for the Advantek??
I can try to get the spline count tomorrow. We don't assemble the diffs but we do the the ring and pinions at work. People wanting to do a gear change is in for a rude awakening since its welded and not bolted. We used to do the jk model ELD but not the new jl ELD. We build the super duty ELD pigs at work.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The ring gear is welded to the carrier? So it will require an entire new carrier for every gear change?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Welded? That stinks. So much for any upgrades then...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There has to be some anti DIY'er engineer still laughing that the ring is welded onto the carrier...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I can try to get the spline count tomorrow. We don't assemble the diffs but we do the the ring and pinions at work. People wanting to do a gear change is in for a rude awakening since its welded and not bolted.

I saw that on a Jeep forum.
time to research and see what they do for gear changes.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i didn't get a chance to get any pics today but the laser welder only runs 3days a week. Another thing i think is messed up is what we/I call a carrier, at work it's called the case.

Revtach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I can get my hands on a Torsen for my front SLA 35 I would put it in. Of course, a selectable locker for the front would be "better", but I already have a Torsen in the rear and I would want it to match. For the type of offroading I plan on doing I would not need a front locker anyway. I've heard that Torsens front and rear allow a truck to kind of slip it's way through trails. It may not be as confidently done as lockers front and rear but if it gets you through the trail then it's good enough.

A Torsen in the front is probably a better option for most people when it comes to IFS trucks. I've never seen an IFS system that could withstand a locker + abuse. Seems like most people don't understand that so they are better off with a Torsen since it's easier on the axle components. I'm pretty sure the 2016+ F150 Raptors all come with a locker in the rear and a Torsen up front. The Colorado ZR2's are locked front/rear with IFS...I wonder how often dealers are getting customers asking them to repair their ZR2 front suspension after going offroading.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I can get my hands on a Torsen for my front SLA 35 I would put it in. Of course, a selectable locker for the front would be "better", but I already have a Torsen in the rear and I would want it to match. For the type of offroading I plan on doing I would not need a front locker anyway. I've heard that Torsens front and rear allow a truck to kind of slip it's way through trails. It may not be as confidently done as lockers front and rear but if it gets you through the trail then it's good enough.

A Torsen in the front is probably a better option for most people when it comes to IFS trucks. I've never seen an IFS system that could withstand a locker + abuse. Seems like most people don't understand that so they are better off with a Torsen since it's easier on the axle components. I'm pretty sure the 2016+ F150 Raptors all come with a locker in the rear and a Torsen up front. The Colorado ZR2's are locked front/rear with IFS...I wonder how often dealers are getting customers asking them to repair their ZR2 front suspension after going offroading.
If you got the money, here you go: https://torsen.com/product/ford-ranger-dana-35/

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is what the weld looks like. Sorry it took so long but like I said they don't run it every day.

Revtach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Any idea why they switched to welds in place of bolts?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Any idea why they switched to welds in place of bolts?
welds can save weight. a robot can do it. bolts have heads that stick up, so welds eliminate that. welds are easier to balance if needed. less machining, no holes and threads. its faster.

just a few. but i could be wrong on all lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals