• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Third heater core in 2 years

whilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A few days ago I smelled antifreeze and saw lots of vapor coming from the vents. I have a hard time believing that the problem is yet another heater core, especially since there is no puddle on the floor. It's easy enough to replace that damn thing but I would really like to find the root cause.

About 18 months ago I replaced the radiator without doing a coolant flush and I wonder if years of crud is plugging these heater cores or...?

truck has about 210,000 mi on it now, runs like a champ otherwise. radiator swap was probably about 192,000 mi.

A coworker said that the radiator cap might be malfunctioning... easy to try I guess...

any ideas?

Thanks

W

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If it was me, I would go ahead and flush the block and radiator and then put a new heater core in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Check heater hose clamps at the firewall, easy to get a spray that goes into the cab.

All the crud should have been IN the old radiator, like it was IN the old heater core, they both collect the smaller bits, they are both "filters" along with their other duties.

If it is the heater core that's leaking then it may have been bad to start off, made on a Monday or late afternoon on a Friday before long weekend, lol.

When you do next coolant change, max. 2 years, then flush the block

Also on any vehicle, you should reverse heater hoses at the firewall each time you change coolant, that helps them last a bit longer by Back Flushing every two years
And what I usually do is to swap the heater hoses a few days before I am changing coolant, i.e. flush any small bits out they way they came in and then draining them out of the system
So "clean the filter" :)

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Are you using the same core each time you replace it? Maybe try another brand or type.

I once ran into this myself (indeed there is some really cheaply-made junk out there)... I used a no-name Autozone part that lasted maybe 3 years because no one had any good ones at the time ("But we can order it!") and I needed to get the truck together for a trip that afternoon. It began leaking at one of it's soldered joints.

1st one I bought (cheap soldered-together junk):
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/heater-core/pro-source-heater-core/459239_958055_0

This was the 2nd replacement (made of aluminum, I seem to recall their construction is crimped w/epoxy in between it to seal it):
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/heater-core/spectra-premium-heater-core/846873_0_0

What's odd, they are both now showing the same price :icon_confused: Before the cheapy one was like $16 and the Spectra was more around $35. (makes me wonder if that price is now reflecting some sort of cheapened construction and/or offshoring).

If you didn't change the cap when you changed the radiator, I'd say now's a good time to slap a new one on there (my preference is Stant or Motorcraft for thermostats and radiator caps).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you see extended high engine RPM they make a reducer bushing that restricts flow into your heater core so your water pump doesn't over pressurize it and pop it.

Or there is a socket out there that works too, I think it was a 13mm 3/8 drive that I used. Do a google search, fairly common problem with Mustangs and the newer ones have the restrictor from the factory.

I have a 3spd automatic so I run just shy of 3k rpm down the road and had a time going thru cores until I did the socket trick. The factory restrictor is pricey.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals