• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Third Brake Light Leak: Old problem, new approach to remedy.

Pasturepilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Might as well say hi, everyone. First post, trying to make a positive entrance.

I bought an '07 Ranger recently when I finally got fed up with my last ride, an aging BMW M3. I love working on stuff, but if I wanted to pay airplane prices for parts, I'd just buy an airplane.

After a quick search on the forum, I saw where my cab leak was coming from - the infamous third brake light gasket. A trip to the local dealership, though, frustrated me. I don't think I'd have paid $103 for the same part even on my old BMW.

So... this is why I started driving an old pickup truck after all. No purist "enthusiast" is gonna make fun of me for using RTV to fix a simple leak here, right? (Ok, so someone will, just because I said it.)

Anyway. We can't buy the gasket, and I hate to give up on a fine housing without a valid reason. OTOH, I hate to seal the thing shut, because the day I do will be the day the bulb burns out.

So with no more delay, here's how I RTV'ed mine and still kept it removable.

1) Remove the assembly. Two screws and a plug for the wire. Easy Peasy.

2) Clean the mating surfaces, both on the housing and on the cab.

3) tape a piece of baking parchment paper over the opening. Make sure it lays flat with no wrinkles or buckles.

4) use the edge of your knife to make a rubbing around the perimeter of the opening. You're really looking the score the paper, more than cut it. Then you can go back and cut it head-on with a razor blade.

5) this is what you want to end up with, more or less.

6) Apply a bead of silicon around the perimeter of your old gasket. Your results may appear much neater; I was battling chunks that had dried in the tip of my RTV tube.

7) Install your housing over the parchment paper, and lightly screw it into place. You don't want to apply full force to it until the sealer dries.

Once it's dry, remove the light housing, peel the paper away, and re-install. Leak check your installation to ensure you didn't miss a spot, and enjoy driving a non-musty Ranger again!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That's a neat idea. I just siliconed mine down. But in hindsight, I thought maybe a better idea would be to get one of these FelPro gasket material kits (below) and make one. Come back and reply as to how well your idea works out for you, I am interested in the end results.

http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-3060-Gasket-Material/dp/B000CNKUGO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375906183&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+gasket+roll#productDetails

EDIT: I've also heard of people using a bike inner tube to make one. Not sure how well that turns out though.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That's a neat idea. I just siliconed mine down. But in hindsight, I thought maybe a better idea would be to get one of these FelPro gasket material kits (below) and make one. Come back and reply as to how well your idea works out for you, I am interested in the end results.

EDIT: I've also heard of people using a bike inner tube to make one. Not sure how well that turns out though.
^^What he said. I have used gasket material for over 40 years without any problems. Parchment paper breaks down in a few months or so form hot or cold weather...not smart. Inner tubes work great as does my old diving suits that I never throw out. I can patch a lot of things when I need to...lol

Yeah for Body Glove!!!!!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the idea.
I'm also interested in long term results. Post back in three months and a year please.
And Straycat.... he removes the parchment after the silicone dries and before he permanently mounts the light.

Richard

Pasturepilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oops, I guess I could have been more clear had I waited to post including the last few pics for backup. Once the RTV sets up, I peel the parchment paper away and reinstall... so it only sticks to one surface but seals against both. I've seen posts where folks did the innertube trick... with mixed results.

Here we go:

8)After the sealer cures, remove the housing, peel the paper away.

9) Inspect for any spots, I guess you'd call them inclusions for lack of a better term, where the sealer didn't fill in all the way. A little dab of RTV smothed down with a wet fingertip works fine.

10)Reinstall once all the sealer is dry. (Note this picture was actually taken when I removed the wax paper; you'll notice the imperfections in the sealer if you look close enough. But... for illustrative purposes, it's close enough.)

I'll let you know how it works out. The monsoon season is well upon us in Atlanta this summer, and I'll certainly know if it doesn't hold up.

Cheers!

Last edited:

The Mook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
What a long strange trip.
Permenant Fix

I have tested and am manufacturing a replacement gasket. I use closed cell material (much like the divers suit) that has been die cut. This material is actually a true gasket material that is UV, solvent, and pressure tested. It seals perfectly and is much cleaner faster and easier than anything else. Three years of testing with no failures. Designed, made from material, and made in the USA. I currently have them on Ebay, just search Ford Ranger Third Brake Light Seal.

Happy Trucking!

Attachments

Last edited:

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey Mook, I just ordered one of your replacement gaskets on Ebay and I used my PayPal account to send you payment. Thanks for taking the time to have these made up for us Ranger Owners.:icon_thumby:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I don't have a gasket for mine and it doesn't leak. At least not that I know of.

The Mook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
What a long strange trip.
Hey Mook, I just ordered one of your replacement gaskets on Ebay and I used my PayPal account to send you payment. Thanks for taking the time to have these made up for us Ranger Owners.:icon_thumby:
Kind of delayed reaction, but thanks for purchasing the gasket. I like hearing back from buyers on the product and installation. If you have not contacted me through Ebay, let me know here.

I don't have a gasket for mine and it doesn't leak. At least not that I know of.
No leaks makes you a lucky Ranger owner! It seems like the OEM gasket eventually fails on these trucks, thus the aftermarket gasket I produce.

Thanks to both of you for posting here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals