• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
In response to the new proposed "Assault Weapon" ban (congress approved, just waiting on House approval), the President signed 18 USC 921(a)21(A) effective 24AUG22 and Washington state's governor Inslee's state ban on magazines larger that 10 rounds, I am building 3 of these AR-15 pistols (handguns), using Wilson Combat receiver sets/hardware with Faxon Firearms barrel/bolt carrier groups in 5.56 NATO as shown below (minus the brace...which I have not yet purchased). One is for my brother the other 2 are for my daughter and my son.

Pictured is a Daniel Defense Mk18 AR pistol, my other inspiration.

Attachments

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I was thinking of this for the wife... price is right and a 25 dollar rebate. Tarus G2C 9mm

View attachment 80066

I would love a Kimber micro of some sort for an EDC... I just can't get my mind around the price.
The Sportsman's Warehouse had an $80 rebate for purchases over $200 during their 2022 father's day sale along with that, then current $25 from Taurus. Price for the base G2C then was $239.00 before tax and FFL transfer costs.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Possible Loophole: .458 socom for the AR platform utilizes regular .223/5.56 mags... the socom takes up more room though.. so turns a 20rd mag into a 10round iirc.

I need to finish my socom build ugh.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Been wanting a new pistol for a little while. Something reasonably concealable.

Unsure what I really want.

I've had XD's and an sr40, currently have an OG LCP, shot all sorts of glocks... so certainly familiar with the plastic striker guns.. but thinking I might want to mix it up a bit with this purchase.

A not-quite full size 1911 would make me happy.. BUT but they can be difficult to live with (especially in my budget).. and the limited capacity is kind of a drag.

A judge would be cool.. but I would have a hard time spending that kind of money on something so simple/basic.. and again.. capacity.

I've always thought that the fiveseven was a pretty sweet pistol.. the FN offering is out of my ideal price range.. but I see ruger has recently started making one of their own. The ruger is still a little too much.. but its such a sweet little pistol I think I could deal with it (plus, that capacity)

Thoughts?
I have two for carry. A Taurus PT-111 that I've had for a while. It's a little smaller and lighter than a 1911, I hardly know it's there, but it's not as accurate as a 1911 probably because it's shorter.
More recently I got a Glock .380 that belonged to my wife's late sister. We transferred ownership to my wife who was the executor. Smaller than the Taurus but fits well in the same ankle holster and hip paddle. Been carrying that one more lately. Both are loaded with hollow points.
Or at least that's what I had until everything was lost in a horrible fishing boat accident.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have two for carry. A Taurus PT-111 that I've had for a while. It's a little smaller and lighter than a 1911, I hardly know it's there, but it's not as accurate as a 1911 probably because it's shorter.
More recently I got a Glock .380 that belonged to my wife's late sister. We transferred ownership to my wife who was the executor. Smaller than the Taurus but fits well in the same ankle holster and hip paddle. Been carrying that one more lately. Both are loaded with hollow points.
Or at least that's what I had until everything was lost in a horrible fishing boat accident.
The smaller the pistol, the more it magnifies any bad habits you have and they kick more because there is less mass to manage, control, and mitigate the recoil.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The smaller the pistol, the more it magnifies any bad habits you have and they kick more because there is less mass to manage, control, and mitigate the recoil.
I tried a 1911 at the range and while I was more accurate, it was too long to comfortably conceal carry.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I tried a 1911 at the range and while I was more accurate, it was too long to comfortably conceal carry.
The standard 5" 1911 is certainly a long draw for me, especially in a belt holster. My limit is a 4" Commander model. I tend to prefer my 3". Both the 4" and 3" have an aluminum frame, which helps a lot with the weight. The steel frame, 5" 1911 is just too heavy and my back doesn't like it.

I've also so found that the longer the barrel, the less my bad habits show themselves. 3" being the least accurate if I'm getting sloppy and the 5" being the most accurate and forgiving.

Just what I've found in my experience. None of this is meant to talk you or anyone else out of their choice in firearm.

Carry what you shoot best and is most comfortable for you. If it's uncomfortable, you won't carry it. If it isn't carried, it isn't doing you much good if and when you need it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Heavier guns are normally better shooter for me. Less recoil for better follow up shots.

A full size steel handgun vs a compact Polly or aluminum job. Night and day.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Heavier guns are normally better shooter for me. Less recoil for better follow up shots.

A full size steel handgun vs a compact Polly or aluminum job. Night and day.
I find it to be the same. I love shooting the 5" My back doesn't like carrying it and the draw is too long. I generally shoot my longer pistols better than the shorter ones, even the polymer framed ones.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I have no personal experience with Taurus but I've read/heard enough to be kind of leery of the brand. Going *BANG* when you NEED it to is paramount, naturally lol.. so I won't spend money on anything that I don't have 100% confidence in.

I REALLY like the LCP. When I bought it, I was after a "buttcrack gun" that was super easily concealed in summer clothes. That thing fits the bill perfectly, and the price was right at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other similarly sized pistols. Ruger came out with the LCP2 a few years ago.. slightly revised sights & trigger.. havnt shot one but wouldn't mind having one. The trigger is my only real complaint about the original.. the pull is 54' long and kinda heavy BUT you know exactly where the break point is so 🤷‍♀️

A kimber micro is high on the list of potential purchases for sure. They're actually not as expensive as I thought they were.
Mine goes bang every time. Adjustable sight, both directions and rated for +p. On your 6 holster. Used it to get my ccl

Attachments

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
1) Taurus G2C or PT111
2) Glock 43x

These are my 2 considerations. I gave my daughter the Taurus and she has carried it for 4 years, loves it. I have carried a 1911 Commander forever but desire a more slender firearm for ITW carry.
I may carry my commander in the winter. I'm not sure about summer. They say a hip holster isn't very easy to detect even with a full size.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I have an LCPII. The trigger is fair. It’s a two piece trigger, and the pull is supposed to be a lot shorter and light then the original.

That my go to for a pocket gun. Wife loves it too.

Full size Barreta 92 fs is my favorite gun I own. Like shooting a BB gun.

My beater is a Star BM, bought three of them for $200 each. Used online when the Spanish police force phased them out. Good size to conceal, but it’s all steal so it’s heavy, even with the single stack 9mm magazine.
I like steel guns better. I want a baby rock.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
here is that sar arms, its a b6p. its a full size though. it shoots great and is very cheap

B6 - SAR USA

says 292 bucks brand new, 233 used. i paid 150 used behind the walmart though :whistle:
I got one new for under 200. They don't like ammo over 900fps

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Cocked & locked :icon_thumby:

Everyone has their preference on safety style, my preference is a physical thumb switch... the 1911 style is a good one. I am always a tad nervous carrying my Glock because it doesn't have one - I have seen some training videos where people had an accident when they went to put their gun back in the holster with their finger on the trigger or bumped it when pulling it out of the holster. Practice & training really is key no matter what anyone has, I am used to reaching for the thumb safety so that's what I carry... I just plink with everything else.
Most people that shoot themselves happens when pulling it out of the holster or putting it back in.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals