• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The .45 vs 9mm knockdown vs penetration debate is as old the which tires should I get threads.
Supposedly a hot 9mm fmj will go thru a vest, and a .45 will knock down whatever is wearing it.
I would just go for the legs then head with whatever, then sell the vest on craigslist lol.

I had a nice 1911 double stack. Sold it because I couldn't hit a barn with it. I grew up shooting Glocks, it was way different to me. I am most deadly with revolver, might've been a cowboy in my past life....with a six gun, I can put a hole through a quarter blindfolded, can't even shoot fish in barrel w/ any 1911 style.

Have you shot any of these potential new guns? Our ranges usually have rentals to try out.

I would test drive.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Man, gun shopping is the worst. I love coming home with a new one.. but really hate the shopping aspect.

Too many choices!

A judge IS a bit impractical for what I need it to do lol, can scratch that off the list for now.

After sleeping on it, I'm not sure how important I should be making the capacity thing... obviously want more than 2 lol but I feel like even a 7+1 setup is good enough. Its what I've lived with for nearly half a decade so I'm sure it'll suit me fine for the next half.

My irrational fear of needing to fend off said guerrillas in vests is what's making something chambered in 5.7 so intriguing.
I meant as in there's nothing in stock, the gun stores are packed with noobs that thinks gun shoot themselves, turning them from completely untrained into John Wick.

Then there's the paperwork, then the wait period, then more paperwork. Fingerprint, Thumb print, butt print, blood and fluid sample. Then bend over with your credit card out. OK here is your gun lol.

Also they just passed a bunch of gun laws in response to the shootings, that always adds to the paperwork and people at the gun stores.

This is Ca though, needless to say lol.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My recent medical procedures seems to have left my right thumb with far less ability then I remember. Gets me thinking about even being able to hold onto a bigger bore gun. This thread has made me start looking again... but I'm seriously thinking small bore with little recoil. Been to long since I've shot a .380 so I don't remember what it's like. I'm kinda thinking .22lr. Ammo is the cheapest... meaning i can actually afford to shoot it often and get pretty accurate with it. It's way better to have a .22lr then no gun at all if you find yourself in the moment.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i love my 22 pistols and rifle. i like them all but for shooting i like the 22 the most because i don't feel like its costing me an arm and a leg at the range.

i have a fun 22 mag pistol that holds 30 rounds and shoots flames with each shot. it quiets the range down every time i go because people are like "what the hell is that?". its an ugly pistol but man is it fun and my finger gets tired before 30 rounds so i take a break and then do some more. two mags is a long time at the targets

PMR30 .22 Magnum Pistol | 30 Round Capacity | Specs & Details | KelTec (keltecweapons.com)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have a friend that has the same problem with his 1911, can't hit the side of a barn with it so he never uses it. Pretty good with his .45acp revolver though.

They may be more temperamental to ammo then other guns. I've had good luck with mine, but I do notice a much wider spread when running cheap aluminum blazer ammo vs S&B

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The .45 vs 9mm knockdown vs penetration debate is as old the which tires should I get threads.
Supposedly a hot 9mm fmj will go thru a vest, and a .45 will knock down whatever is wearing it.
I would just go for the legs then head with whatever, then sell the vest on craigslist lol.

I had a nice 1911 double stack. Sold it because I couldn't hit a barn with it. I grew up shooting Glocks, it was way different to me. I am most deadly with revolver, might've been a cowboy in my past life....with a six gun, I can put a hole through a quarter blindfolded, can't even shoot fish in barrel w/ any 1911 style.

Have you shot any of these potential new guns? Our ranges usually have rentals to try out.

I would test drive.
The way I look at is is that the 9X19 has been around since 1903 and the .45ACP has been around since 1908 and still in regular supply and use for a reason. If either stunk as bad as the opposition says they did, they would have gone into obscurity a long time ago.

With a few exceptions, pistol calibers just don’t have the knock down power of a rifle round. They are there to stop the threat or hold off the enemy until you can get to your primary weapon.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
i love my 22 pistols and rifle. i like them all but for shooting i like the 22 the most because i don't feel like its costing me an arm and a leg at the range.

i have a fun 22 mag pistol that holds 30 rounds and shoots flames with each shot. it quiets the range down every time i go because people are like "what the hell is that?". its an ugly pistol but man is it fun and my finger gets tired before 30 rounds so i take a break and then do some more. two mags is a long time at the targets

PMR30 .22 Magnum Pistol | 30 Round Capacity | Specs & Details | KelTec (keltecweapons.com)

I've always wanted to pick up one of those PMR30s. They look like a riot. Buying enough 22WMR to feed it would make me go broke I think. They are expensive from what I've seen. I have a little SA revolver with 22LR and 22WMR cylinders, and it's fun shooting that one.

Shran, which generation is your 22/45? They have at least 4, maybe 5 iterations now. My Dad has a Mark I or II regular, non-22/45 model he has had forever and cleaning it is kind of a nightmare. The Mark IV is super easy, it's basically just a button push and the grip/trigger assembly and barrel/receiver/action separate. I think that was one of the big selling points for the Mark IV.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The way I look at is is that the 9X19 has been around since 1903 and the .45ACP has been around since 1908 and still in regular supply and use for a reason. If either stunk as bad as the opposition says they did, they would have gone into obscurity a long time ago.

With a few exceptions, pistol calibers just don’t have the knock down power of a rifle round. They are there to stop the threat or hold off the enemy until you can get to your primary weapon.
All 100% agreed. Individual functions vary, one might be much more deadly with a 9mm than .45, or vice versa, depending on what they're more comfortable. Both great calibers.

Not to get sidetracked, but I think our military is smart to somewhat recognize individuality (ASVAB test results etc), and train/assign soldiers in a manner that will most exploit their talents and minimize their weaknesses. This is why the conformist communist countries suck compared to us lol Go 'Murica!

Also yes the first rule of a gunfight is have a gun, and the second rule is have the biggest gun you can. Pistol is for backup and/or convenient carry.
I think the lever rifle/six gun combo of old times is what to have. Both take the same ammo, and able to shoot off horseback (or motorcycle 😁)! I really need a .357 lever. A Henry or Marlin with octagon barrel will be the last gun I buy. Maybe one in .22 as well, then I'm done lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I scored a 22/45 on a Turners outdoors special many years ago. $199. I love that thing, but boy does it get dirty and is PITA to disassemble/clean. Actually disassembly is easy, reassembly is the problem. Gotta let a thingy dangle while holding this other thingy in just the right place, and if you don't do it right, everything gets wedged stuck and needs to be gently yanked apart, which happens a few times per cleaning. I try to use cleaner .22 and not shoot it much.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All 100% agreed. Individual functions vary, one might be much more deadly with a 9mm than .45, or vice versa, depending on what they're more comfortable. Both great calibers.

Not to get sidetracked, but I think our military is smart to somewhat recognize individuality (ASVAB test results etc), and train/assign soldiers in a manner that will most exploit their talents and minimize their weaknesses. This is why the conformist communist countries suck compared to us lol Go 'Murica!

Also yes the first rule of a gunfight is have a gun, and the second rule is have the biggest gun you can. Pistol is for backup and/or convenient carry.
I think the lever rifle/six gun combo of old times is what to have. Both take the same ammo, and able to shoot off horseback (or motorcycle 😁)! I really need a .357 lever. A Henry or Marlin with octagon barrel will be the last gun I buy. Maybe one in .22 as well, then I'm done lol.
Be careful, lever guns are addictive and can multiply.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm not sure if I have any ranges around that rent, but I might. I'll look into it.

I'm not that worried about getting home with a new pistol and then realizing I can't shoot it good or something though. As long as I like the way it feels in my hand at the shop, it'll be gravy. Havnt shot a handgun yet that I havnt been able to achieve decent accuracy with pretty quickly.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I'm not sure if I have any ranges around that rent, but I might. I'll look into it.

I'm not that worried about getting home with a new pistol and then realizing I can't shoot it good or something though. As long as I like the way it feels in my hand at the shop, it'll be gravy. Havnt shot a handgun yet that I havnt been able to achieve decent accuracy with pretty quickly.
I don't mean if you can shoot it or not, but whether you enjoy doing so lol. If you know what you go for it, but I still suggest trying some out if possible, even just for kicks/contrast.

The big range here has pretty decent pistol rental selection. Cool part is you pay once and swap all you want. They make/sell you reloads for em too, which I think is their bread and butter setup of sorts.

Usually a buddy or friend of one has whatever I'm in the market for, and I'll offer to pay their range fees and cover the ammo if they bring it along for me to try out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am most deadly with revolver, might've been a cowboy in my past life....with a six gun, I can put a hole through a quarter blindfolded, can't even shoot fish in barrel w/ any 1911 style.

I would test drive.
That is how I am, I am pretty good with my old '58.

Went on a poker run that had a shooting competition at a gun range. Had a little black and silver S&W semi auto, I think it was 9mm. 98.3% positive I could throw it more accurately than I could shoot it.

Probably doesn't help that I usually shoot one handed (it just flows with my revolvers) the range guy didn't like that.

I did like the looks of the Springfield XDe... but a quick google reveals they discontinued that so I got nuthin.

The Rugers I have been around have been pretty good. I really like my 30-06 American.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

That isn't always good enough. I had a Taurus PT145 that felt good in the hand, was comfortable to shoot, and had a 10 round, double stack magazine in .45ACP. It was inaccurate as hell no matter what I fed it. After trying about a year or two, I traded it in on a Springfield Armory XDs. It doesn't feel as nice but at least I can hit the target well enough.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
That is how I am, I am pretty good with my old '58.

Went on a poker run that had a shooting competition at a gun range. Had a little black and silver S&W semi auto, I think it was 9mm. 98.3% positive I could throw it more accurately than I could shoot it.

Probably doesn't help that I usually shoot one handed (it just flows with my revolvers) the range guy didn't like that.

I did like the looks of the Springfield XDe... but a quick google reveals they discontinued that so I got nuthin.

The Rugers I have been around have been pretty good. I really like my 30-06 American.
I tried a S&W autoloader, 5906 I believe...couldn't shoot it worth beans either.

Berettas are fine for me, I can shoot those same as my glock. I tried an XDe, they're pretty good actually, I liked it. Maybe look for a used one?

How about a sig? I can shoot those pretty good too, they feel nice in the hand.

Ported barrel is also a more common option nowadays.

Still nothing beats a revolver in each hand. With crispy single action triggers.

Ruger Vaquero is my favorite. A Sexy Tank.

Pistols do look a little sketchy one handed, I'd save such tactics for the vested guerillas lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals