• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I have two favorite deep conceal pistols, a Barretta that fires 25cal with a pop up barrel and a single action north American arms that fires 22lr.

They both are very small and can sit hidden behind your phone on your belt.

The naa is my bicycle pistol. It fits in my phone bag on the top tube of the bicycle so if I need it while riding, it's right there.

But the 1911 and my Sar arms 9mm go with me anytime I leave town. 1911 on the belt and the 9mm in the door pocket of the titan, or center console of the ranger.

That sar is not at all easy to conceal because it's a full size but what a nice easy to shoot pistol.

I will have to update what models these are. I can never remember the sar or the Barretta.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a Ruger LC9 and loved it. It's related to the LCP, but has a slightly larger frame since it's a 9 mm. Ruger has an economy version, the EC9s. Might be a good concealed-carry gun for some of you.

When I bought the LC9, my intent had been to get a concealed-carry permit. I held off, never got the permit, and sold the gun. My sixth sense told me that CCW holders with their names in a database were going to be targeted one day. I don't regret not following through.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Get a commander size 1911. I think mine is a rock island armory. Never jammed on me in the four or five years I have owned it and if you run out of ammo. You can club people to death
This is a good point lol, I'll have to look around a bit better later today and see what's out there that's relatively affordable. I would LOVE a kimber, but don't know if I want to pay full size kimber money, I know rock island armory offers some decent pistols.. pretty sure I remember them being more budget minded?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I had a Ruger LC9 and loved it. It's related to the LCP, but has a slightly larger frame since it's a 9 mm. Ruger has an economy version, the EC9s. Might be a good concealed-carry gun for some of you.

When I bought the LC9, my intent had been to get a concealed-carry permit. I held off, never got the permit, and sold the gun. My sixth sense told me that CCW holders with their names in a database were going to be targeted one day. I don't regret not following through.
Before we became a constitutional carry state, I wanted to get my permit.. but was sort of hesitant for the same reason.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a Remington 1911, by far the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot. The finish is classic Remington black oxide, it's terrible, rusts sitting in the safe. But shoots better then any Colt or Springfield I've shot.

Friend has a Springfield Armory. Classic 1911, sloppy, rattles as you walk, but goes bang every time. Drop it in the mud and keep gunning.

I really want a Barreta .380 and an LC9 to fill the gap I have between pocket gun and full size.

I'm not concerned about being on file with the sheriff's office as having a CCW. The Pa State police have illegally compile a list of every gun sale that has gone through an FFL in the state. So they already have my name in there a few times. They are supposed to destroy records of the background check after so many days, but they do not. I believe they have been sued at least once by the GOA.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Commander length 1911s are nice and compact. Mine came from Metro Arms, I have had a lot of trouble with it so I would suggest any other brand.

Another option I haven't seen mentioned is a S&W Shield in any caliber. I have both the 9mm and 45ACP versions, both are very easy to handle. Carried the 9 extensively in the appendix position and in a normal belt holster. They are excellent guns overall.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i have had a concealed carry license for a long time, too. when the state turned to not requiring them anymore, i still renewed mine and i still will. if they change back to requiring them, i will be good

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I forgot about the goofy trigger on the G2, that's a thing. Once I got used to it it's not so bad and it seemed to get better as the gun was used, but very weird at first.

I had a Rock Island compact 1911 in 9mm. It was my favorite gun to shoot at the range, before I too lost all of my guns in a tragic canoeing accident. Forgot to mention that before. I used to handload powder puff rounds for it. That, the single action trigger, and its weight (all steel) made for an extremely easy shooting gun. Even with full power rounds it was pretty tame. I think Rock Island makes pretty nice stuff and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I'd like to get a full-size 45 1911 one of these days.

ND switched to constitutional carry a few years ago. I don't remember exactly when. I did my CCW permit back about 10 years ago for two reasons. First, I saw a news article where they observed there weren't many CCW permits issued in ND against the total population and concluded that meant that there weren't many firearms or people interested in using them. The article was about resistance to legislating restrictions on CCW, gun ownership, etc. and their logic was creating these laws would only affect a minority of nutjobs so go ahead and vote yes for your safety. I thought I'd do my part to help the statistic reflect reality. Second, it cleans up firearms transport. In ND, you could drive around with handguns, rifles, as many ARs you could stack up out in the open in your vehicle, as long as they were unloaded. "Concealed" weapons were not allowed without a permit and "concealed" wasn't well defined. So if you had a shotgun riding in your front seat and threw your jacket on it, maybe even partially, that weapon could now be interpreted as "concealed." I hunted a lot and I saw the possibility of some misunderstanding there; with the CCW, no misunderstanding basically anything goes. I can't honestly remember a single time actually carrying any of my guns around anywhere on my person in a holster or otherwise before or after my permit.

No idea what Florida laws are like, I'll have to do some research.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last year I bought my wife and myself Rugers.

I have the Max 9 and bought her a LC9s (I believe they have phased these out). The LC9 changed over life and last iteration was a striker fire pistol.

If you're looking for a 9 mm, the Max 9 is a pretty sweet gun and a good size. I love mine, capacity is good and is easy to conceal.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I think I've narrowed it down to a full size or commander sized rock island 1911 or whatever ruger it is that's cambered in 5.7. They're close enough to the same price.

I'll have to swing by the gun shop to see if they have a kimber micro I could hold first though.. i really really want to own a kimber.. but if my pinky can't get a secure grip on things it's too small.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rock Island makes some good budget guns. I would suggest you find someone that sells them and hold it first... IMO their fit and finish isn't quite as nice as their pictures suggest. My ex had one of their fancy 1911s that she ordered...it looked kinda "cheap" in my hand. But for the price, couldn't complain.

Surprised to see Ruger fans. I am not one. I bought a 22/45 years ago and it is the most irritating gun I've ever owned. I will be pretty apprehensive to buy anything from that company.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I think I've narrowed it down to a full size or commander sized rock island 1911 or whatever ruger it is that's cambered in 5.7. They're close enough to the same price.

I'll have to swing by the gun shop to see if they have a kimber micro I could hold first though.. i really really want to own a kimber.. but if my pinky can't get a secure grip on things it's too small.
I bought a Kimber 1911 a while back, it's a full-size in 9mm but has an Aluminum frame. I think it was on sale around $500. It's nice, but in my opinion nothing really special. I got it because I just wanted a Kimber but didn't have $1000 to spend on a pistol.

Shran, sorry to hear you had issues with your Ruger. I have had quite a few, including a Mark 4 22/45, and not had any issues. I've heard they are good about fixing things from those who have had issues, maybe that's not the case? They have special sections in loading manuals for some of their guns because they are built more stout than their competitors and can easily handle hotter loads. I know it's definitely a thing with the Blackhawk revolvers.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
All the Rugers I've owned have been top notch quality. Have a variety of Rugers, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but I do not have a 22/45. Don't really care for match pistols, I prefer a more basic style.

I am surprised to hear so much talk about Kimbers. I've heard a lot of hearsay about their quality being very poor in the last 10 years or so. Overpriced, sell off the name type stuff. That said I never have shot one, so It could just be people talking shit about something they can't afford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals