• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about an Xterra vs a Ranger.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've owned a 07 Xterra and I didn't care for it too much. The traction control drove me friggin' nuts! Even with it in 4 Low, which was suppose to turn it off, TC still kicked in when U didn't want it to. Passenger access into the rear was a major pain due to the wheel well intruding into the door area. Front independent axles are known to be weak and break. Damn rear axle suspension bottomed easily on little hwy bumps (no chit). I put new bumpstops on the rear and it helped greatly with towing. Without the added bumpstops your lights would be shooting to the moon with a light, unloaded trailer. If U choose earlier Xterras (pre 2003 or 05 can't remember) the engine oil capacity is low and only holds 3 friggin' quarts!!! Think synthetic oil and lots of oil changes. Buy a 1993-97 Ranger in good condition like I did and build it up from there. You could also get an older Sport model Explorer with two doors and be much happier if U want an SUV for off roading. Hate to say it but even a Jeep Cherokee with a unibody would be better money wise to buy and build up. With the Jeep you would at least be getting a solid front axle.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Everyone complains about how terrible the Bronco 2's were well the Xterra's were far worse when it came to rollovers and stability. You are asking a terrible vehicle base to do some extraordinary maneuvers, no neither vehicle will be suitable for what you want to do. You want a rock crawling buggy built just for the purpose of crawling, doesn't matter what you do with anything else you'll never have a suitable vehicle for crawling. You will need to custom build something.

skyway0018746

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you want to haul people and be capable on trails only two rigs come to mind a jeep tj or xj . stupid simple to works on and parts are everywhere .
i guess im bias since i have a xj so there ya go.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
^^Actually I really like the older Jeep Cherokees, the only thing I hated with my Grand Cherokee was the leather seats after a few years they started to crack and come apart. 232k+ miles on the original 4.0L I6 and original transmission/transfer case. I drove it hard, and took it offroad more than it was on the highway, it was covered in mud more than it was clean.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Everyone complains about how terrible the Bronco 2's were well the Xterra's were far worse when it came to rollovers and stability. You are asking a terrible vehicle base to do some extraordinary maneuvers, no neither vehicle will be suitable for what you want to do. You want a rock crawling buggy built just for the purpose of crawling, doesn't matter what you do with anything else you'll never have a suitable vehicle for crawling. You will need to custom build something.
I disagree with just about everything you are saying here. Xterras are just as stable on as any other SUV on the road. Definitely not any worse than the Frontier, with which they share platforms. Why do you think the X is a terrible vehicle to build up? Body on frame construction makes it a way better option to build then all of the uni-body vehicles out there, like the Cherokee for example. An actual transfercase with a shift lever available, reliable drivetrain, etc... Sounds like a good candidate to build off of to me. Sure there isn't as much aftermarket support out there, but it is out there. Calamini (sp?) is a good one to start with.

And why does he need to build a buggy? Have you not seen the off road section of this forum or others, not opened up a magazine to see a tricked out, highly capable truck or SUV?

There are tons of very capable built Xterras out there.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I disagree with just about everything you are saying here. Xterras are just as stable on as any other SUV on the road. Definitely not any worse than the Frontier, with which they share platforms. Why do you think the X is a terrible vehicle to build up? Body on frame construction makes it a way better option to build then all of the uni-body vehicles out there, like the Cherokee for example. An actual transfercase with a shift lever available, reliable drivetrain, etc... Sounds like a good candidate to build off of to me. Sure there isn't as much aftermarket support out there, but it is out there. Calamini (sp?) is a good one to start with.

And why does he need to build a buggy? Have you not seen the off road section of this forum or others, not opened up a magazine to see a tricked out, highly capable truck or SUV?

There are tons of very capable built Xterras out there.
Disagree I could care less. Just speaking from the number of Xterras I've seen flipped over along the highways over the years. Just try finding accessories for them, they aren't out there like what exists for Jeeps, and many other vehicles.

Then again I don't lift or modify my vehicles, I just drive around obstacles rather than trying to see if I can go through them, but also I have to buy my own repair parts when I break something so I take care of my vehicles.

Its your money, your time, buy whatever you wish nobody is here to stop you or anyone else. People come on here and ask for others' opinions that's what you will receive, whether you like them or not.

I've never had an Xterra and don't care to, just never like the looks of them after the 1st generation, and they just looked horrendously top heavy for some reason, maybe they are maybe they aren't but just was never a fan of them.

Reason I said build a buggy, is that's what you will end up with by the time you get done modifying a vehicle to be setup for crawling, there really isn't much left of the actual vehicle by the time you get done cutting and removing and modifying the body to accept all the non-factory parts. That's what the crawlers are usually called are buggies.

Last edited:

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haven't been on in a while..time to revive an old thread..
So Oilpatch did you ever get a Xterra? I bought one back in 08. Yes I've had some issues with it over the years but it is what it is. A solid work truck with close to 140k. Now a few comments up someone stated that they rollover a lot..please back that up with some data..I call bs. Any lifted vehicle with a high center of gravity can roll..then again any vehicle will roll.... Nissan did offer a super charged engine back around 2003 and that was a first gen(2000-04) They required premium gas, had less hp than the newer 4.0 and got worse gas mileage.The know issues with the second gens are 2005-2009 coolant leaking into the transmission(Nissan thought it was smart by combining the trans/engine radiator) So over time corrosion would eat away the partition between the 2 and pretty much destroy your automatic transmission. A simple bypass can be done to avoid this. Front differential. Overiszed tires and hard offroading will make it explode. The fix for that is a Titan swap...not cheap but quite a few are doing it. 4.o timing chain tensioner. Nissan uses a nylon guide that wears out anywhere 75k+. 40 dollar part that cost you $900 in garage fees. Rear differential on some trucks.More of a maintenance issue. Change the fluid every 30k..I didn't and burnt up my bearings.Also there has been some issues with water getting into the breather and a quick modification is to attach some tubing to the breather and run it up high into the back of the truck.The factory did it in the front but not in the back. Either they stick open or stick close and piss out your gear oil...grr Gas mileage...the engine kicks ass but is a total pig in stock form. 15-20 mpg. Put bigger tires,shrock armour and your down towards 11-13. The truck weighs close to 4600lbs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals