• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thinking about 351 Cleveland build in a '90

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
cheers, thanks

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
been a while so time to update this. Crank was turned. when I took the heads apart and started to give them a go over, all the valves were good except 1 ex valve had a small crack in it.... was having a bitch of a time getting around the size of 1.70 on trying to order 1 valve ... parts stores were all saying none available ...

now i need to back up a bit. 8 or so years ago was at a car show and started talking to a guy who builds clevelands for a living and remembered his shop name so i called him to see if he had any valves.

He said ya come on over.... we started talking about this engine... ahhhh he figures he would have built it about 30 years ago. and the 2v heads have the 2.02 4V head valves in them ... ahhh thats why nothing was making any sense. told him the cam and such, he said yup... will work out good. he remembers those engines from back then.

so here is where this project is sitting today :)
closer.jpg
closer 2.jpg

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
well another day closer... waiting for the thermostat stuff, and flip her over to do the oil pump next, but before i get to that, must figure out the oil pan problem... any one have a 400 truck rear sump in their back yard for sale? ... lol ... do have 2 351 c pans, so i guess they can be hacked and welded.... here is the top of her all built. cheers. Friend dropped of the frame a couple days back, so now I can start to tear apart the rest of the 90's truck for the raer end gas tank and such. plan is to strip out an old 90's truck I have and use that for the body and such ... plus all the goodies needed to make this beast/rat running.

cheers

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Sweet run of luck being able to actually converse with a builder from then .... Not many breathing.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi bobby, yes very nice having first hand knowledge on the engine. sure helped out in re-freshing it back to former glory. he loved the idea of placing it into a small truck... LOL.

well here is whats going on in the swap. plan is to take the cab and box from this truck, the rear end, fuel tank, and build it onto this boxed frame that is ready to go, complete with manual steering box to reduce the need for room, as friend had a 351 windsor in it before and it was just sitting in his yard and he said i will drop it off for you. so that's the plan. take 2 trucks and build a redneck build. cheers all and will update as she gets built.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
was able to find a set of exhaust manifolds today along with the rear sump pan, and pick up tube along with a alt bracket.... things are looking up now.

started a "redneck" style new cluster for the build. keeping it simple and easy as possible. blank spot will be a tach.

cheers.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
redneck as hell.... lol screams I don't care......

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Finally was able to get the truck to a friends and got the cab off the frame. dissected all the parts from the frame I will be needing to use on the other frame, and now the fun begins. :) cheers

lifted.jpg

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Getting this closer.... engine is pretty much buttoned up, waiting on the (ordered) thermostat, the cover needs to be made for the fuel pump delete, but this is as good as she is going to get....

The frame is getting closer, tank in place wheels under it in back (it rolls) all brakes and related stuff on order from parts store to pick up this week. have an exhaust system ready to go in. it is planned for dual into a single muffler and single tail pipe. for the feul filter I am going to try an experiment with it. going to plumb in a Wix bypass filter up in the engine bay for a return line that comes out of the filter to keep the fuel in circulation and hope to prevent the vapour lock from heated fuel.

made a custom filtered pick up for the fuel tank... as I deleted the pump from in tank.

slowly getting all the frame ready. (when not at work) this project is slowly coming along.... cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't given up on this project.... between working, and friend's working hours. and the WET weather here, we can't get the frame to the hoist to weld up the motor mounts and place the body back over the frame/engine.

Currently have the running gear all set to go, trans and engine are together, the frame is ready for the hoist. SO... hoping that the weekend stays dry and we can get our act together for 4-5 hours to complete the rest of the operation.... fingers crossed.

On another note.... V8 in a ranger and here is the quantity of gas for 70.00 bucks..... I can see this getting expensive very fast.... but will be fun VRRROOOOM VROOOM

Photo933.jpg

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Today wasn't a total loss... we built a set of motor mounts from 1/4 inch plate using the 4L mounts. then placed the engine into the frame on the mounts and found the first real problem... the oil pan will not work with the 90's style front suspension style... decided that it is best to take the oil pans that I have and we will cut them down and make a proper rear sump and extend the pick up system.

so the mounts are made and the engine sits decent on the frame, but hurdles abound. cheers

more pics to follow with the "custom" pan etc ....

Attachments

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hey Angie, Good to see ur coming along on your project. Mine is coming together slowly too. Funny, all that MAJOR work that we go thru to get to the finish line and all of a sudden these little P I A projects require more attention and go lots slower than it seems the big ones did!!! Anyway, heres a few updates of mine, seems close but still got a bunch of odds and ends to do. Enjoy your weekend :cool:

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I can update this a bit more. Found an oil pan that works for this frame. If anyone is heading down this path of pulling your hair out to make this fit ... seek out a 351 cleveland oil pan that was made for a van/truck style fitment. After trying 3 different styles/pans, was able to get 1 that the seller said was out of a van, 351M I am guessing. here are 2 pics of how it sits in the frame. just enough room for the twin I beam. the driver side exhaust man fits good, going to get a smaller one for pass side today... cross fingers it will be small enough. will update as it goes.. . when I lift the engine back off frame I will take a better pic of this oilpan.

cheers

Photo969.jpg
Photo970.jpg

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Alright ... let the rest of the games begin. finally found exhaust mans that will work. nothing is easy when doing this build... (LOL) the driver is from 351M/400 truck, and the pass is from 1971-2 cougar mustang. where the collector meets the frame, i will need to cut an indent there to recess the spot by a couple inches, however, will also weld in plate to keep the frame intact. cheers

Attachments

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hi Angie. Looks like it's coming along. Wanted to let ya know that the Thermostat/ Restrictor plate I told ya about at West Coast Cougar IS the fix for overheating. Been driving around and idling in 90+ degree weather and it's never reached 200 degrees!! I'm thinkin it's a must for the Clevelands. Here's a few pics of the mechanical and exterior finish. now on to the interior. Huge project....... Huge reward !!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals