• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thinkin about another swap?

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i watched the youtube videos of the 4 cylinder cummins and i WANT ONE anyone know where the heck to find a complete one with all the computer and hardware? i know i can fabricate alot but the computer i dont think i could.... any info is awesome thanks in advanced

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I recommend going for a mechanical direct injection turbo diesel. Then you don't need to worry about the computer. And, I think most Cummins diesels that use electronic control have the computer mounted on the side of the engine. What engine were you looking at? 4bt? B3.3T? Those are a couple of the popular 4 cyl Cummins diesels to swap into road going vehicles.

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
the 4BT for sure and i did realize the front end issue and i have the solution which is the dana44 swap and i have that in the garage just havent took the time to swap and i have an 8.8 rear in already so basically im in the swap mode and need info on all of the powertrain considerings diesels arent all my thing

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
if im not mistaken with the diesel being mechanical my speedo and tach wont work either?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
if im not mistaken with the diesel being mechanical my speedo and tach wont work either?
Yeah, not quite sure about that one. I think it might, as long as the factory computer is left intact, even if there isn't an engine hooked up to it...maybe someone else that knows better will chime in.

To find a 4bt look for a bread van. Sometimes you can find a bread van (used also by Fritos and other short delivery companies) for roughly $3000 and scrap the aluminum body to make up some of the purchase price (I've done research on this exact swap and read what other people have done). You can also find adapters to mate the 4bt to a standard Ford transmission, such as the ZF, found in late 80s+ fullsize pickups, some of the breadvans already have this adapter and are running a "Ford" transmission, NP435, IIRC. Others of the bread vans run GM transmissions.

To fit the 4bt into your Ranger, you'll probably want a body lift to clear the top of the engine (from the hood) and a suspension lift so the differential doesn't hit the oil pan (they're pretty tall engines).

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Ee I'm 17 and I did the 5.0 swap farily easy and I feel I'd be able to do this and I should be able to fund it all by the time next fall rolls around so this is more of a feeler of difficulty and what's needed and basically the fundamentals of so I'm trying to get the info early for when swap time comes around, I may be 17 but I'm not a lazy spoiled 17 year old I work everyday after school and am serious about stuff like this so please just keep it comin with info

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the info keep it comin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals