• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Think Rangers are getting expensive?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just looking to maybe replace my 2000 that needs body work, rust. Can't imagine a 2000 with 66K miles going for $12,999. Most expensive one new 14 years ago was less than 18K. I've got another one identical to it but has the 4.0 and Flairside, same mileage but dead motor. Another but a '99' for almost $11K. I know prices vary a lot per area but for the cost of a plane ticket, I make the trip to get a cheaper, same condition one.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Truck/Ford/Ranger/Amherst+WI-54406?endYear=2000&engineCode=6CLDR&engineCodes=6CLDR&makeCode1=FORD&maxMileage=100000&mmt=[FORD[RANGER[RANGER|XLT]][]]&modelCode1=RANGER&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1998&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&Log=0&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=9C776BF9274E2B8496E36B373E9C17A8&showToolbar=true&Log=0
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Late model trucks are a joke right now.

I would like to get a newer truck sometime, I was casually flipping through a "wheels for you" flier that is around town awhile ago.

For what I paid for my '02 F-150 4wd scab 5.4 in 2005 (just south of $20k with 27k miles) I could get a 2011 Ranger with 100k+ miles on it

Can't hardly get a used F-150 like mine but newer for under $30k anymore.

And the auto companies cramming so much luxury in a truck doesn't help either. My '02 XLT is more like a modern day XL than a current XLT and I am fine with that. I liked the STX (which was more comparable) but that is going away for '15 too.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
People will pay a bit more for a low mileage vehicle in great shape. 1 owners are the best!! I see all types going for some high prices out here. I sold my 87 Toyota 4x4 truck in great shape for $8,000 about 7 years ago. I drove it back and forth from Florida to California a bunch of times and stopped at Moab a few times and wheeled it there. That was one great little truck. Nice lifted ride with 33’s. Never had any issues with it either.
I have a lot of people wanting to by my 87 1.6L Suzuki Sammie. I have been offered $9,000 for it several times. It is a fun little ride. I don’t want to sell it just yet. Maybe next year when I start another project!!!

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My dad bought the 2003 ranger in 04 with 25K miles on it for I think 15k? A shame people find the need to ask the almost the same price ten years/100k miles down the road, as if these trucks get better with more miles. Also they are a dime a dozen still! I really dont get it.

Look how long ago foxbody mustangs were made? Last one in 93? Those STILL sell for $1500 in running and driving condtion. In fact I bought one last yr in very clean unmolested condition for $2300....though its currently my project sittin in the back yard lol. Kinda cant wait to get that back together...having a motorcycle as your only set of wheels has its disadvantages.

Im hoping by the time im in the market for a new vehicle atleast one of the companies that sells light duty trucks in the US starts selling a friggin diesel. The global ford ranger is AWESOME...5 cylinder diesel, 6 speed manual, still has manual shift 4x4 and other offroad perks. WHY cant that be available here?!?!?

Last edited:

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
related "overpriced" situations that make me go "huh?" are "mechanic specials" that go for more than a few hundred bucks

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Part of the overpricing craze is due to all the reality car resto shows on TV right now...take you pick of examples. There's a guy here with a really nice looking 68-69 GMC/Chevy 3/4 pickup for sale...he started out at $10K???? and now has dropped the price to a much more reasonable $7,500K??? WTF? I'd offer him what it's worth ($1500 to $2500) but know it would be a waste of my time. Plus, anything older than the seller HAS GOT to be a vintage antique worth a mint.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People will pay a bit more for a low mileage vehicle in great shape. 1 owners are the best!! I see all types going for some high prices out here. I sold my 87 Toyota 4x4 truck in great shape for $8,000 about 7 years ago. I drove it back and forth from Florida to California a bunch of times and stopped at Moab a few times and wheeled it there. That was one great little truck. Nice lifted ride with 33’s. Never had any issues with it either.
I have a lot of people wanting to by my 87 1.6L Suzuki Sammie. I have been offered $9,000 for it several times. It is a fun little ride. I don’t want to sell it just yet. Maybe next year when I start another project!!!
People wanting nearly the same price for late model low milage as new isn't right though.

When there is only a few grand difference between 3-4 year old trucks and a new one on the lot (not accounting for any rebates) something is wrong.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It is the price of new vehicles! I would like a new truck; but, I can't see/afford spending 30-50K for it. Even if I could find one that would fit in my garage!!

Since I would guess I am not the only one feeling that way, the price of "newer" used trucks is off the charts. I have seen Rangers 3 to 4 years old on CL listed for 15 to 20K. The other day I saw an 02 w/100k miles on it listed for 10K. Heck, I've even seen a lot of 15-20 year old Rangers listed for well over 4K. Just hard for me to imagine!!!

On the other hand, maybe 4k isn't a lot of money anymore.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
It is the price of new vehicles! I would like a new truck; but, I can't see/afford spending 30-50K for it. Even if I could find one that would fit in my garage!!

Since I would guess I am not the only one feeling that way, the price of "newer" used trucks is off the charts. I have seen Rangers 3 to 4 years old on CL listed for 15 to 20K. The other day I saw an 02 w/100k miles on it listed for 10K. Heck, I've even seen a lot of 15-20 year old Rangers listed for well over 4K. Just hard for me to imagine!!!

On the other hand, maybe 4k isn't a lot of money anymore.
Anything at a dealer is overpriced to no end, but at the same time watch those trucks listed new and the used ones listed comparable to the new trucks. You will see that they dont infact sell for those prices. Those high prices are just asking prices a few grand above what they really know they can settle and sell for.

Everyone wants to haggle even if its a complete steal of a price already. I used to sell vehicles and dont anymore because of the people buying. I used to sell a lot of things for that matter and dont anymore because of not wanting to deal with hagglers.

I still scoop up trucks almost once a month. I dont even look at overpriced trucks. I dont haggle, I enjoy dealing with honest people selling for a fair price. If the listed price is right for the year, make, and model I go look at it. If the truck isnt right for the listed price after inspecting I just leave it. Its the lets make a deal thing of now a days that drives up prices.

4k is one months salary for the majority of people now a days so its not that bad for a running, driving, 10-15 year old truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anything at a dealer is overpriced to no end, but at the same time watch those trucks listed new and the used ones listed comparable to the new trucks. You will see that they dont infact sell for those prices. Those high prices are just asking prices a few grand above what they really know they can settle and sell for.
A few grand above what they will take for it is still not much more than a few grand away from new... and often times if you time it right rebates on new will take it below the bottom dollar for a lot of used.

I don't think any amount of haggling will bring them down almost $20k what was normalish for a nice low mile fairly new truck 10 years ago. Sure there is inflation but it is almost double the price for a truck vs what it was then.

I did have one guy come in the shop that had just gotten a new pickup. His theory is he takes his old one in haggles out a price on a new one and then sells the old one for what they would give him on trade in. Figures with were he is now he can afford to give somebody a good deal on a nice pickup.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Omigod...that means my Obama dollars are way devalued. Never paid more than $16K for a vehicle and probably won't ever, unless I win the lottery.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Gawrsh. We paid $23K for the Escape, brand new. After that I have never paid more than $3000 for a vehicle.

Escape-$23K
Explorer-$3k
F250-$2500 but it needed $500 in tires right away
Ranger-$1500
BII-$600
S-10-Free.
Omega-Free, but it needed $1500 of work to be street legal.

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
While I dont agree with the rate of inflation and never would spend more than 7-8k on a vehicle the blame goes to technology and government regulations, taxes, licences, and just plain business costs to do business all over the world.

I dont even look at new trucks as they are not trucks anymore. They have more features than a 10 year old Bentley. I miss the days of manual options and pushrod engines. Those were the days of trucks. I get in these new ones and all I see is everything that will work within the warranty period and then be an absolute maintenance nightmare if you try and keep it longer.

Thats where the price is in the fact there are more guys riding around in 4 door luxury pickups because they have to be a man and cant just buy a car so they can fit the family like they really want. So there goes the truck market now catering towards all the features in a luxury car in a truck for the family man who really just needs a car or SUV.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
While I dont agree with the rate of inflation and never would spend more than 7-8k on a vehicle the blame goes to technology and government regulations, taxes, licences, and just plain business costs to do business all over the world.

I dont even look at new trucks as they are not trucks anymore. They have more features than a 10 year old Bentley. I miss the days of manual options and pushrod engines. Those were the days of trucks. I get in these new ones and all I see is everything that will work within the warranty period and then be an absolute maintenance nightmare if you try and keep it longer.

Thats where the price is in the fact there are more guys riding around in 4 door luxury pickups because they have to be a man and cant just buy a car so they can fit the family like they really want. So there goes the truck market now catering towards all the features in a luxury car in a truck for the family man who really just needs a car or SUV.
So what if I can listen to music through blue tooth while adjusting my power seat, my Dad's '97 F-150 woulda really struggled if I used it for this.

:icon_hornsup:

I must agree though, some prices on Rangers are a bit excessive, I'm sure Cash 4 Clunkers has something to do with that as well, prices sky rocketed after that.

Last edited:

rnber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
think rangers are getting expensive

For some reference, this summer I purchased two rangers and paid the price because there are not a lot of nice rangers in NW Ohio. I paid 17,000 for a 2011 e.c. 4.0 auto 2wd with 21,000 miles in excellent condition. Then about 2 months later I paid 7,500 for an 03 r.c. 4x4 3.0 auto with 87,000 miles in very good condition. You pay to play

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals