• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Think Rangers are getting expensive?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Paying to play is okay, as long as you don't overpay yourself into ruin just to play. I often wonder how many of the Captains of Epic Pickups that run right up on my arse and try to drive over me before going around at 95 mph are paying their own way, and if so for how long will the plastic-fantastic credit money will last, or whether they're just speeding around in one of Daddy's toys. Doesn't matter though, they all duck when they see a ribbon of Copenhagen flying out of my cab.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
So a couple weeks ago I read an article about the 2015 Tacoma. A loaded up Tacoma costs as much as my f150, now that is asinine, let's hope if the ranger does come back they don't do that.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm tired of new vehicles. I would like to find a way to get rid of my 2012 Ford Expedition. It's a black EL with a factory sun roof, and I know from shopping for it, the Expeditions aren't everywhere. You have to hunt for them.

It's a 2012 and my drivers window doesn't go up or down. I have to replace the motor.

My 2010 F-150 that I trade for this had an issue with a clicking noise when you adjusted the air/heat because the blend door motor didn't know when to stop.

My 1996 Ranger is stuck on defrost because I haven't been able to find the vacuum leak.

The most dependable vehicle I have is my 1982 Ford E-150 Sportsmobile.

My wife and I have talked about ditching the newer vehicles and fixing up an older vehicle to have something more reliable and paid for.

If I could do a side by side comparison of my '83 Ranger and '96 Ranger (as stock), the '83 would have much less to go wrong and be more reliable.

Vehicles are expensive, and by the time you pay them off, you're ready ready for a new one. It's an ugly cycle.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Seven years ago, geez time flies, I bought the wife a lightly used '06 Montego and it has held up real well...all I've ever done is tires, brakes, tranny fluid and oil changes, and a return valve/orifice on the AC compressor. Big and roomy, comfortable enough and has the reliable 3.0 V6...gets close to 30 mpg down the road at speed...if I could say the same for any truck newer than my 93 Ranger XLT I'd be driving that if I could find one used. I'd really like to have a 1st generation Courier, Luv, or 2nd generation Datsun or Toyota pickup from the 70's or early 80's just to play around with...but all that I see have been part of the pasture landscape for so long they have trees growing up through the bed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what if I can listen to music through blue tooth while adjusting my power seat, my Dad's '97 F-150 woulda really struggled if I used it for this.

:icon_hornsup:
And I bet a 3.7 truck would have gotten its tail kicked too...

I wouldn't fear that load with my 2002 5.4.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Lol. You couldn't load your girlfriend in the back of my dad's truck without it sitting on the bumpstops, been like that for years. 5.4s are dogs man, his is even worse too, the 4.6.. mines a 3.5 btw. My buddy has a 3.7, ok power, comparable to a 5.4, but it needs revved.
Let me add too, I'm not saying your truck couldn't do it, I just know what it's like pulling with a triton, and I'll stick to my new fancy stuff lol.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Actually, my 2010 had a 5.4 and had plenty of power to haul my Ranger.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The 3 valve 5.4s are great compared to the 2v 5.4s. They get off the line the same but the 3 valve maintains speed much better.

Got a 2004 F150 5.4 auto 8ft bed regular cab with the half doors and it plows/ hauls wood and scrap. Thats the most high tech truck I have and I really have not had to replace much but the window regulator. Its only got 130,000 miles though and things are starting to let go. I hate working on the 5.4 so that truck will be gone soon. Going back to a pushrod 351 F150 with manual everything like I should have just stayed with.

Rangers are still affordable/worth the price when you look at the market. Id gladly spend 7-8k on a 10 year old Ranger with a solid frame and in great mechanical shape. Ive picked up some 15 year old Rangers with 190k-200k on them for 3k with no issues and mechanically sound. I could grab Rangers that are 15 years old and have 100k on them an shiny paint for 3k but they are not always a great buy just because of low mileage and cosmetically sparkling.

You get what you pay for. Its an investment. You can always lease or play the buy new trade in game every couple years if youd rather not invest and keep something long term.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol. You couldn't load your girlfriend in the back of my dad's truck without it sitting on the bumpstops, been like that for years. 5.4s are dogs man, his is even worse too, the 4.6.. mines a 3.5 btw. My buddy has a 3.7, ok power, comparable to a 5.4, but it needs revved.
Let me add too, I'm not saying your truck couldn't do it, I just know what it's like pulling with a triton, and I'll stick to my new fancy stuff lol.
I know yours is an EB.

Hmm, 5.4's are dogs... didn't notice that after 9.5 years of dragging tractors/trucks/farm equipment around with mine. :icon_confused:

Dad's '04 F-250 service truck with a 5.4 is kinda poochy... but with a 4r100 and the base truck pushing 10k it is an uphill battle. It is weird though that you can throw just about whatever you want on behind it and it pretty much drives the same.

BTW a set of 4.10's really perks up a 4.6, they like to spin.

If I could buy a new one just like mine I would in a heartbeat. Only recently it has started needing ANYTHING, two balljoints and a front wheel bearing... nothing out of the norm for a 100k+ mile truck. I can see where age is going to be catching up to the body of mine hard in a few years though and a recent hail storm did nothing to help it.

The 3v's make a lot more power than my PI 2v... no interest thanks to their phaser issues. When I get a different truck it will be a 5.0.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Mine is an 07, 36k miles, 15k asking price. I guess having no 4x4 or anything special cuts down the price a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals