• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

They're all gone!

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I've been seriously looking for a a4ld to rebuild so that my daily driver truck won't be down for so long. I checked with my junkyard. They didn't have one and if they did it would cost $700.00. There isn't one on Ebay either. I found two on craigslist but they are 200 miles away for $300.00. I was wanting to keep my 1990 truck going to my end, i.e., 20 more years, but I doubt there will be parts around to support that endeavor.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Try harder dammit

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Up
I've been seriously looking for a a4ld to rebuild so that my daily driver truck won't be down for so long. I checked with my junkyard. They didn't have one and if they did it would cost $700.00. There isn't one on Ebay either. I found two on craigslist but they are 200 miles away for $300.00. I was wanting to keep my 1990 truck going to my end, i.e., 20 more years, but I doubt there will be parts around to support that endeavor.
UPAP in Pittsburgh has them, 100 out the door every first Tuesday of the month.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
what does UPAP stand for?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I was wanting to keep my 1990 truck going to my end, i.e., 20 more years, but I doubt there will be parts around to support that endeavor.
You know when you're going to die?!?

I find that disturbing.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
No, I don't know when I'm going to die. But for planning purposes, I estimate I'll make it to 90 since my father made it to 87, his brother to 88.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Wow, that's a long ways from here. But thanks for the information. I'll keep looking locally.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was looking at one point as well but gave up due to sudden lack of funds due to some family issues last year, but by next spring I'll pick one up at the local pick a part. My intention was to disassemble one to get some general knowledge of them and how they work, and do a rebuild on it only issue is its kind of a PITA to swap transmissions just to see if they work or not LOL...so not really sure it would make any sense to do that just to have it lying around.

If I recall my local pick a part yards want $150 or $250 for a transmission can't remember for sure, and like $250-300 for an engine....Saw a guy a while back pulling a 12 valve cummins engine out of a freshly wrecked Dodge Ram 2500. On my way out the door I asked the clerk what they charged for a diesel he just pointed to the board and I swear it was like $250 or 300 for an engine, I said same cost regardless of gas or diesel he said yep...well whoever got that engine got a killer deal, as it was of course a running/driving truck before the accident. Seen people pull engines and transmissions in cases like that...I asked the guy that was pulling the engine what his plans were and he said he was pulling it to resell it for about $5-6k....damn must be nice to have that kind of time and money to go spend pulling engines from the pick a part...course I guess that would be maybe 1/4 or 1/2 of someone's annual income if they could do that once or twice a year HAHA!!! The guy pulling that engine though was a mechanic so probably had the opportunity and possibly had a seller or vehicle already for it but dang $300 for a $5-6k engine is a steal.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I cant find any down here in FL St Pete doing a quick search. I see full rebuild kits. Doing some deeper digging I found a reman for 1.4K and a used for $700

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I found one 250 miles away for $225 though it came from a 2.3 liter engine. As for as swapping, rebuilding, and swapping again, I think the 2nd time would be a lot easier because of the experience and all fasteners would be easy to take out. Eventually I will sell a a4ld.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was looking at one point as well but gave up due to sudden lack of funds due to some family issues last year, but by next spring I'll pick one up at the local pick a part. My intention was to disassemble one to get some general knowledge of them and how they work, and do a rebuild on it only issue is its kind of a PITA to swap transmissions just to see if they work or not LOL...so not really sure it would make any sense to do that just to have it lying around.

If I recall my local pick a part yards want $150 or $250 for a transmission can't remember for sure, and like $250-300 for an engine....Saw a guy a while back pulling a 12 valve cummins engine out of a freshly wrecked Dodge Ram 2500. On my way out the door I asked the clerk what they charged for a diesel he just pointed to the board and I swear it was like $250 or 300 for an engine, I said same cost regardless of gas or diesel he said yep...well whoever got that engine got a killer deal, as it was of course a running/driving truck before the accident. Seen people pull engines and transmissions in cases like that...I asked the guy that was pulling the engine what his plans were and he said he was pulling it to resell it for about $5-6k....damn must be nice to have that kind of time and money to go spend pulling engines from the pick a part...course I guess that would be maybe 1/4 or 1/2 of someone's annual income if they could do that once or twice a year HAHA!!! The guy pulling that engine though was a mechanic so probably had the opportunity and possibly had a seller or vehicle already for it but dang $300 for a $5-6k engine is a steal.

I have known people who made their entire income off of pulling parts out of junk yards and reselling them at market value.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have known people who made their entire income off of pulling parts out of junk yards and reselling them at market value.
Literally did that while I was laid off. Was bringing in over a grand a week. Honestly, if I could have pushed it to two grand a week, I would not have gone back to work for anyone else.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Literally did that while I was laid off. Was bringing in over a grand a week. Honestly, if I could have pushed it to two grand a week, I would not have gone back to work for anyone else.
I've seriously thought about doing this as well, but gotta have the money to pay for the parts first LOL. Plus all of my pick a parts are 30-40 miles away so not very economical and neither is shipping costs :(. Otherwise I could see in certain areas where some people live really close to pick a part yards could make a killing on reselling good used parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals