• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermostat Housing 2.8 V6

HoneyBadger

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have an ‘83 Ranger 4x4 that l am in the process of completing for use. I acquired it after it had been parked by the original owner since 2013. I have completed an engine analysis and am very close to completion. I need a new thermostat housing as mine is compromised. Any ideas where l might find one. Would like to get one ASAP! Thank you!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here is one on ebay. You will find some of the parts for this engine are very difficult to find.

What is compromised on the old one?

HoneyBadger

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Here’s a picture of my ol one. Nothing I’ve seen online matches it.
BFEB39AC-E72E-4401-A972-18C5CECBF955.jpeg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That one is identical to the one on my '84.

A lot of 2.8 parts are getting hard to find. If yours is not cracked or broken, you might have to clean it up and reuse it.

Emery cloth is good to clean up the nipples; use a strip of it like you're buffing shoes. And carefully scrape the gasket off of the mounting surface, then sand the mating surface on a sheet of sandpaper on flat glass.

Be careful and gentle on it if you're replacing the sending units. If you're able to do, or have done, a Duraspark conversion, the front sensor is not needed and can be plugged (like mine is below).

Don't overtighten the bolts when installing it.

EGR blockoff plate.jpg

HoneyBadger

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Mine is cracked and deteriorated beyond use.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That is not the thermostat housing. The thermostat on these engines lives down low on the front driver's side of the engine and is hooked to the lower radiator hose.

The picture you have is of the top water outlet. There should be no thermostat under this outlet.

Looking here they are out of stock, but we get a part number RH16 https://www.stockwiseauto.com/motorcraft-rh16-engine-coolant-thermostat-housing?Year=1984&Make=Ford&Model=Ranger

I did a google search and did not come up with anything except rockauto has a bunch of them that do not have any extra ports. I see in your picture you have your engine temp gauge sensor in one of the ports, and the other is plugged off.

Here is what came up at rockauto. Will any of the bolt holes line up like yours? I don't know. If they did you could put a tee fitting in one of the heater core hoses for a place to put your gauge sensor. https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,RH16,thermostat+housing+/+water+outlet,10337

If you are handy, there is also the option of making one. I think it could be done with some 1/4 steel welded to some pipe fittings.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I see in your picture you have your engine temp gauge sensor in one of the ports, and the other is plugged off.
The OP's outlet has both sending units in place (that's my engine in the second pic). If he's still running the EEC and feedback carb system, he'll need both.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If he's still running the EEC and feedback carb system, he'll need both.
He shouldn't be. Though it's getting harder and harder to find the parts to convert over. It has been my personal goal to convert all running 300 six cylinders in the 1984-1986 larger trucks away from the EEC carb system. I think we should convert all 2.8's the same way.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
possible lead:

FORD RANGER PARTS AND TRUCKS - $1 (Manchester)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

condition: fair
delivery available
make / manufacturer: Ford
model name / number: Ranger
I have about 15 Ford Ranger trucks from the late 80's to 2001. Some of them are 4x4 and several of them are easy rebuilds. If you are needing parts or a whole truck just let me know. I have a rollback and can possibly haul for a fee. I would sell all for a package deal. Call me with your needs. I am open to trades of almost anything also.Thanks for looking.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BTW: I am fairly sure this coolant outlet can be replaced with a Chevy SB thermostat housing, they are very close on the bolt hole spacing. I just have not had the time to go to Advance Auto and match them up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals