• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermostat chat, Ranger temp obsession (let's split some hairs)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My duratec is hot before I start the damn thing. I think the block is made of uranium.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I
My duratec is hot before I start the damn thing. I think the block is made of uranium.
Uranus ore does come out hot. try setting a snow cone on the hood before you start it, or peeing on the radiator.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The 2.3 duratec is way overcooled it seems like. In the winter I literally watch the temp guage start to fall at every red light.

The only reason I "warm" the truck up in the winter is for engine health. If I want the cab to heat up I HAVE to drive the thing probably 3-4 miles to get any meaningful amount of heat from the vents.

Definitely covering up the grille this winter.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I've never seen a V6 that warmed as fast or ran as hot as my 4.0 SOHC. Cruising I'm usually at about 196°. If I get into the throttle a little, I can easily get it to climb well into the 200's. I monitor these temps with Forscan or Torque Pro, not just looking at the dash gauge. With the exception of the heater core and fan clutch, every part of the cooling system is less than two years old. I'm a little worried about adding the SC to it as warm as it runs. I've already decided to get a new clutch to put on when I do the SC install. I should have done that when I put the new fan blade on it during the rebuild.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And yet the 4.0 in my Mustang takes forever to heat up. And that's with an electric fan. Especially during the winter, I can drive from home to work, seven miles, and the temp. needle never makes it to the normal operating range with the needle pointing dead center. And if I turn the heater on during the winter, I can watch the temp. needle fall. Most notably when the heater is running full bore. Needle drops noticeably. I don't think the electric fan comes on at all during the winter. I can usually tell when it comes on. The load on the alternator increases and causes a slight drop in idle and a tell tale vibration. That's if at a stop light.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I hear you on that. The ‘98 I had came with a 2.5 Lima engine. The cast Iron block cylinder head, took forever to warm up. That’s when I broke down and started installing block and oil pan heaters. Early winter mornings are bad enough. Having to wait 15 or so minutes for the engine to be warm enough to put out heat was just miserable. The 15 minutes might be a bit of an exaggeration but not by much. It certainly felt like it.
Here in Saskatchewan, those of us who are smart dress for the weather, even when we're driving. I've been known to get into a cold car and not even feel the cold, even at -40.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The 2.3 duratec is way overcooled it seems like. In the winter I literally watch the temp guage start to fall at every red light.

The only reason I "warm" the truck up in the winter is for engine health. If I want the cab to heat up I HAVE to drive the thing probably 3-4 miles to get any meaningful amount of heat from the vents.

Definitely covering up the grille this winter.
Modern vehicles really only need to warm up for about 30 seconds before you drive off. (even older fuel injected vehicles). They warm up better when you're driving them, rather than sitting idling (and, from what I've read, it's actually bad for them (specifically for the cat) to idle for extended periods of time warming up.

The two cars I had with remote start I hit the start button just before I put my coat on, and only to get a little bit of heat blowing, and warm the interior - although the Fit idled really high (2500 rpm when it was first started cold), so I waited a few seconds for the rpms to drop under 1500 (didn't take long). It took me probably two minutes to put my coat, hat and gloves on, and walk out to the car, just for the record. The ONLY time I let it idle for an extended period of time was when I needed to scrape frost and ice off the windows, and only because the defroster helped to soften the ice or frost on the windshield. That's it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here in Saskatchewan, those of us who are smart dress for the weather, even when we're driving. I've been known to get into a cold car and not even feel the cold, even at -40.
I dress for the weather, I’m just not cold tolerant. Especially at 4-5 in the morning when I don’t want to be up already.

I do agree with your premise though. I can’t tell you how many people don’t dress for the weather. What are they going to do if they have to change a tire or walk to the next exit/closest house or business because they are broke down? Perfect formula for failure to me.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Move to southern Arizona, hot and dry, too hot and too dry for my taste but not for many

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
At one time I would have jumped on it. It's getting over populated and people have brought in a bunch of plants that never should have brought in. There are a couple of other reasons that have helped kill the deal. So, I decided on East Tennessee. It takes the edge off winter but doesn't get stifling like the deep south does. And it's close enough to family for visits but far enough to discourage too many visits. Nine years before that can happen...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I on the hand, pooped in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals