• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The "Y" (wye) in lower rad hose... can it be bypassed?...

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... e.g. if the infamous Coolant Temp Sender ELBOW (ell) does its inevitable crack-leak thaaang? The LOWER rad hose is mainly the cooled-off coolant coming OUT of the radiator, but do I understand that this "side hose" has hot water flowing OUT of the t-stat area, providing data to the sender/gauge, before flowing DOWN to join the main "cool uptake" into the water-pump, and out to the heads-block-etc?... or do I have it backwards? :icon_twisted:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Hello, is this thing ON?... OK, so I'm 84.2% sure it IS a hot-water recirculate path, for faster warmup when t-stat still closed... which kinda makes sense since heater hoses + heater core are actually cooling the coolant, even with t-stat closed... yes/no?

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm just planning for the future, BUT... I know SOMEBODY has done this... youse guys is holdin' out on me... ;) :icon_twisted:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
we're just testing your patience.
you do have a good question.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
LOL... like the coolant circuit over to the intake manifold (and the electric block heater), I'm thinking it's something nice to have in Minne-SO-tuh, or Banff... but down here in da sub-tropics?... not so much. It's just that replacing that innocent-looking slant-tee is a major nightmare, requiring the removal of tons of stuff, to get at the 2-ounce fitting. I figure just sweat-solder a cap on a stub of 1/2" copper pipe (OUTside dia. 5/8"), hose-clamp it in place, harmless dead-end... get a cheaper 2-end lower rad hose next time around.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Guess I'm gonna have to be the guinea pig, as it seems my "sender ell" has a small leak... which means after a long drive in this hot weather, I get the smell of fried coolant when I park and shutdown.

Will first try to sweat-solder that elbow/ell with 450degF plumbing solder... pending...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals