• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Toyota saga continues....

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly. That's what I've been saying for years; that Toyota has its problems just like every other automaker, and when they get widespread enough, they fix them, just like every other automaker.

What has been annoying is how people were worshiping Toyota as the perfect automaker who could do nothing wrong. You knew that couldn't last for long before someone got disapointed. Every company, including Toyota, makes mistakes from time to time.

I think you may have a valid concern here. That's the last thing our economy needs right now.
Much of that worship stems from Toyota's lack of recalls for decades. Toyota, IIRC, did not have a recall until recently. There were TSB's which are extremely common in the automotive world but until the last 6 years or so they never had an actual recall.

I hate to point out that the problems started when they moved production here AND made a heavy focus on North American suppliers.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Much of that worship stems from Toyota's lack of recalls for decades. Toyota, IIRC, did not have a recall until recently. There were TSB's which are extremely common in the automotive world but until the last 6 years or so they never had an actual recall.
No, Toyota had recalls. They had plenty of them. The did what are called "Silent Recalls". That is where they find the problem, acknowledge it, and notify the dealers, but not the owners, media, or general public, and just sit back and wait for the car to show up at a dealership.

Until recently this was perfectly legal in the US, although most manufacturers chose to notify the public, at least in the case of safety recalls. I think there were one or two performance recalls (like the explorer seat latches and springs) that some chose to not make public.

The problem for Toyota was that silent recalls are not legal in Japan. And the Japanese gov't found out they were doing it in America. And then Toyota got in a lot of trouble at home. So now they are actually announcing recalls instead of covering them up.

Because of how many Toyota got caught covering up the US government changed the rules so that now safety recalls must be made public too.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They'll fix them all, and life moves on. Just like Ford's cruise control burning houses down. It happens.
That one was fun. Most of the affected vehicles never even caught fire. They just drove the dealer employees batty trying to figure out which version of the recall applied, which revision of it needed to be claimed for the labor op, and which parts it needed. Oh, and the ever fun question..."Is this the one with the switch on the master cylinder, or the one on the frame?" and "Oh no, I hope the brake line doesn't break while I break that thing loose."

I have made so much money on that recall. And I HATE it!!1!1

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
On another note. Some people are willing to do stupid things to take advantage of these recalls. Like smashing their car into a fence or tree and claiming the gas pedal was stuck. And then turn around to sue Toyota for the damages.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_hornsup:+1

It's like anything else they've had recalls before and they'll have recalls in the future. What bothers me is 2 things. The first is that they blamed it on floor mats and then it was something else. The other is that the supplier in Japan didn't have this problem it was the US cars that used a US supplier. Talk about throwing your supplier under the bus.

Don't worry about them moving factories out of the country. The US is their largest market. They have cash for clunkers in Japan and when they tried to restrict to only Japan cars the US protested and they didn't even put up a fight.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
the floor mats where a separate issue.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The techs will be getting paid an hour for the brake problem fix. It takes less than 30 minutes. I think they will make enough cash.
Of course they will, I was disagreeing with the fact that they will make good money off of it. They will make less than they normally will. Will they survive? Of course.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, Toyota had recalls. They had plenty of them. The did what are called "Silent Recalls". That is where they find the problem, acknowledge it, and notify the dealers, but not the owners, media, or general public, and just sit back and wait for the car to show up at a dealership.

Until recently this was perfectly legal in the US, although most manufacturers chose to notify the public, at least in the case of safety recalls. I think there were one or two performance recalls (like the explorer seat latches and springs) that some chose to not make public.

The problem for Toyota was that silent recalls are not legal in Japan. And the Japanese gov't found out they were doing it in America. And then Toyota got in a lot of trouble at home. So now they are actually announcing recalls instead of covering them up.

Because of how many Toyota got caught covering up the US government changed the rules so that now safety recalls must be made public too.
You just described a TSB. Like I said, those are common among all manufacturers. Remember I worked for the offenders for years. (Toyota, Ford, GM, Nissan)

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That one was fun. Most of the affected vehicles never even caught fire. They just drove the dealer employees batty trying to figure out which version of the recall applied, which revision of it needed to be claimed for the labor op, and which parts it needed. Oh, and the ever fun question..."Is this the one with the switch on the master cylinder, or the one on the frame?" and "Oh no, I hope the brake line doesn't break while I break that thing loose."

I have made so much money on that recall. And I HATE it!!1!1
I remember the 4 boxes of harnesses we had in stock. Then it turns out the one harness could be used for all of them.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_hornsup:+1

It's like anything else they've had recalls before and they'll have recalls in the future. What bothers me is 2 things. The first is that they blamed it on floor mats and then it was something else. The other is that the supplier in Japan didn't have this problem it was the US cars that used a US supplier. Talk about throwing your supplier under the bus.

Don't worry about them moving factories out of the country. The US is their largest market. They have cash for clunkers in Japan and when they tried to restrict to only Japan cars the US protested and they didn't even put up a fight.
The floor mat issue was a separate issue and the fix took care of it. The problem there was the rubber winter mats being put in on top of the carpeted mats and people not being smart enough to realize they would move. This new recall is an actual interface problem.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You just described a TSB. Like I said, those are common among all manufacturers. Remember I worked for the offenders for years. (Toyota, Ford, GM, Nissan)
TSB is more of a "Here is a common problem, see if this works to fix a complaint."

A silent recall is: Here is a major, common problem, fix it when you see this car!!

They are similar, but the differences are there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals