• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The "That'll Never Work" Build.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Heads are back. Just waiting on head studs to get those on. Rods, rockers, headers, and a complete top end gasket set are on order as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got these in. Took a while but they are nice headers, and even came with the EGR block off plates that I need.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Obviously the valve cover isn't on permanently, but got the heads on today:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Any of you that have done motor swaps with all the bells and whistles(power steering, A/C, cruise control, etc) what parts did you keep from the donor and what did you use from the recipient? Specifically the A/C compressor, PS pump, and cruise module.

My question is and I don't give a rats ass what you put in your own truck, hell it's yours but what makes you think any accessory part from a Ford will work on a Chevy engine without mods? Without adapter brackets, custom built PS hoses etc.... your not gonna put the Ford parts on the Chevy engine. The compressor on the Ford is a Sanden, the Chevy is a Harrison and that's just a start.

I think you are in for an expensive swap once it's all finished.
Of course its not going to bolt right up, did you think I was that ignorant? But I would figure that a compressor is a compressor, so the A/C (if plumbed and wired properly) will probably work with the for condenser/coil/etc and the Chevy compressor. However if the power steering pressures are way different between the ford pump(for a rack setup like my edge has) and the Chevy pup(for a swing style box that is on the blazer) then I would assume I will have a problem and have to fab some conversion brackets. But if the pressures for the Chevy pump are within the limits of the ford rack, then hey presto I run down to napa and get some lines made and I'm off to the races.

If anyone has some real insight I will gladly listen, if you're here to talk crap on the Chevy you may or may not get ignored.

untill the new 3.7 came out the 4.3 was far and away my favorite v6 gasser. this is a worthy gig imo.....both the 700 and 4.3 are very delible all around. just the way it is.

as to the ford chevy a/c stuff you sort of correct.

i have put a 6.5 and 6.2 with ac in a f/s fords before. i had to bend the line around a bit(original gm lines) and pull one little filter screen deal but the hi and low lines screwed right together....like 92 gm into 91 ford...there was some other little bits but it wasnt anything big like some of the other systems...i was quite surprised in one sense but at the same time it made sense. hooking the compressor clutch up was actually a bit more difficult and i think i had to use a different pressure switch and adapter...not sure its been quite a few years. i had to go with the gm cruise control...the electric style. but that was easy as they had gm transmissions too. just hard mounted the control stick on the dash lip.

Worked on it again today but didn't get a whole lot done. Couldn't get the tranny crossmember off, couldn't get the flexplate to torque converter bolts loose. Did drain the tranny and took the pan off, fluid looked great and the magnet was clean - really happy about that.

And I ordered a set of Pacesetter coated headers. Still working on the throttle body, but may go with CFM's ported 75mm one.
well i was proud of ya till i seen this:icon_surprised:

should have been done in two-three weekends tops dude....:shok:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I wish you luck, I find more often than not that something unique isnt always worth the difficulty. I normally go practical because when something goes wrong, I'd much rather have a support base (like the other V8 swap members) to help me out. I like your idea overall, but I also can't help but think that you could have waited and found an engine/trans combo on CL for far less and have better results.

Sure, V8 swaps have been over done like crazy, but...that's because the V8 is a far better bang for your buck.

Don't let me get you down, I'm subscribed and I'll offer as much advice as possible. Good luck!
the old old vortech v6 has some serious support. just incredibly simple by way of comparison for bang and buck.

swapping in a new 300 hp ford v6 or jeep/gm late unit would be difficult by comparison. but we have an addition to our stable that could end up with one of those over a small diesel.

comes down to whatever is cheaper/or cost effective overall.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
untill the new 3.7 came out the 4.3 was far and away my favorite v6 gasser. this is a worthy gig imo.....both the 700 and 4.3 are very delible all around. just the way it is.

as to the ford chevy a/c stuff you sort of correct.

i have put a 6.5 and 6.2 with ac in a f/s fords before. i had to bend the line around a bit(original gm lines) and pull one little filter screen deal but the hi and low lines screwed right together....like 92 gm into 91 ford...there was some other little bits but it wasnt anything big like some of the other systems...i was quite surprised in one sense but at the same time it made sense. hooking the compressor clutch up was actually a bit more difficult and i think i had to use a different pressure switch and adapter...not sure its been quite a few years. i had to go with the gm cruise control...the electric style. but that was easy as they had gm transmissions too. just hard mounted the control stick on the dash lip.

well i was proud of ya till i seen this:icon_surprised:

should have been done in two-three weekends tops dude....:shok:

I work Saturdays and have spent a lot of time out of town since I picked up this project, so that is one of the reasons I've been a little slow. But I did get that all apart the next chance I had. Just needed a few more extensions.

And that seems to be what I've found about the A/C. As long as I can make the lines work I should be okay. Thanks for the info on the cruise, and from what I've found the GM P/S pump can be adjusted to work with the ford rack if it doesn't out of the box.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the boxes are fairly trouble free...with hydro boost the big ford box gets a little greedy.

i cant see racks being an issue at all with flows/pressures. but i suppose it could have some issues.

i would likely attempt to combine the ford end with an adapter to the gm pipe to pipe. thats usually a pia because one is usually an odd size verse the other ect. but it makes fixing a problem easier in general over a custom one off hose.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the boxes are fairly trouble free...with hydro boost the big ford box gets a little greedy.

i cant see racks being an issue at all with flows/pressures. but i suppose it could have some issues.

i would likely attempt to combine the ford end with an adapter to the gm pipe to pipe. thats usually a pia because one is usually an odd size verse the other ect. but it makes fixing a problem easier in general over a custom one off hose.
Even if it is a custom hose it's really not too big of a deal. I can go to Napa and get one built no problem if I have to.

Hopefully I can pick up the pace now that I'll be in town more.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Even if it is a custom hose it's really not too big of a deal. I can go to Napa and get one built no problem if I have to.

Hopefully I can pick up the pace now that I'll be in town more.
c'mon man.....you know damn well that hose wont break till your in a snowstorm 400 miles from a napa on a saturday afternoon.:D

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
c'mon man.....you know damn well that hose wont break till your in a snowstorm 400 miles from a napa on a saturday afternoon.:D
It's just powersteering... I can still drive without that... sorta...

Had a friend blow a P/S line on a 2010 F250 the other week. Halfway around a curve. Almost put it in the ditch when he lost steering and brakes at the same time :icon_surprised:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah....my daghter madisyn lost the brakes and steering on my ranger going down a huge powerline hill last year.

been considering running seperate systems even though it was just a loose fitting. i have run out of fuel as well at hi way speeds and found it a bit exciting trying to haul the ol beast down with no power brakes or steering..

seems hydro boost is as terrifying as it is awesome sometimes:icon_rofl:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Haha yeah seems that way.

So you may have a thought on this - in theory I should be able to label all the wires going into the plugs for the main power distribution boxes, cut the chevy plug off, then splice the ford plug in place of the Chevy plug, right? And that should - in theory - at least get all the power running in the right direction I think.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i dont do things that way.

generally i stand alone the powertrain and leave the vehicle systems intact as possible.

its basic powers and grounds from there for interfacing. crank/run and run circuits. this usually leave all the vehicles chassis sytems perfectly operational.

an aftermarket shift usually simplifies the reverse light situation but its basic as well.

the neutral safety switch can be an assbiter, and depending on what trans, the brake switch needs some working around. depending on trans being used gm is assbackwards on some of the brake signal switching for tc lockup ect with the cruise.

i dont have exp with later intergrated c/b systems. but this old stuff is easy to do if you take some time to look at each sub system.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Everything that was connected to the engine, trans, and ECM came off the power block as one plug. I believe that is basically supplying power and a connection to the cluster and OBD-2 port. The cruise and A/C circuits were on the chassis harness as far as I can tell, however the compressor clutch was run into the engine harness.

I'll make it work, now that I have the Haynes books for both vehicles I can compare wiring diagrams and figure out what I need to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals