• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The reason you can't smile...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Today I received a letter from Service Ontario stating that the picture for my new license was not acceptable and I needed to go have it taken again.

I go to the local office and find it nearly empty so no long wait times. I show the letter to the girl and she says "No problem, we can take that now".

So I assume the position and wait while she tries to capture all my 60 year old beauty...she takes a shot and I was smiling a bit...

"NO SMILING" she scolds me, and proceeds to take another shot...the flash nearly blinding me this time.

Another customer, an older dude, comments "I'm not sure what the problem is with smiling".

The girl trying to take my picture says "If you must know, it is for the police when they identify you if you've been killed in an accident...not too many people are smiling in that state".

This starts to sink in as I think about it more. And it strikes me as being a terrible reason for not being able to smile on our Driver's License that had me wondering all those years. As this is running through my mind another thought hits me...and I simply have to ask her...

"In that case" I say, "should I actually close my eyes for this picture"?

It took her a few minutes to stop laughing before we could continue...

Not sure if this is true or whether she made it up because it was Friday and she was in a very good mood...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I laughed too.
But, AFAIK, eyes are not naturally closed in death.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually the requirement is a Neutral expression, no smiling or frowning, eyes open.

IDing dead body would be a stretch but still funny in this story.

Now-a-days it is required for facial recognition software, full front, neutral expression, eyes open baseline photo is easiest to match to same face with neutral or non-neutral expression and side views.

So your smiling photo as a starting point is harder for the software to match to a neutral or frowning photo, or side photo

Also when you are pulled over by the police you are rarely smiling :)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I laughed too.
But, AFAIK, eyes are not naturally closed in death.
I've only met a few dead people over the years...and their eyes were closed...but that could have been the cosmetics of the funeral home choosing...I can't imagine them dressing up the dead with their eyes open...it would probably creep most people out thinking their relative wasn't "resting in peace".

Actually the requirement is a Neutral expression, no smiling or frowning, eyes open.

IDing dead body would be a stretch but still funny in this story.

Now-a-days it is required for facial recognition software, full front, neutral expression, eyes open baseline photo is easiest to match to same face with neutral or non-neutral expression and side views.

So your smiling photo as a starting point is harder for the software to match to a neutral or frowning photo, or side photo

Also when you are pulled over by the police you are rarely smiling :)
Good to know...I figured it had something to do with that (recently) and the thought did cross my mind that I rarely smile when pulled over...although I've done that a few times...

Like the night I was stopped in a very long line for a "R.I.D.E" program...when the officer asked me "Any alcohol tonight sir"?

I replied "No, thank you, I'm driving..." and he laughed and waved me through...

I thought it was original at the time...:)

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
My License story was that having my picture taken since they started photo IDs, The lady requested me to remove my specs. A half century of Four eyes ! and now I get my picture taken going commando. :yahoo:

Lots of people wear contacts or have eye surgery was the reason.
I lead, or used to anyway, too active a life to wear contacts. I have worn glasses since 8 yrs. old.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Should have titled your head to one side, closed your eyes, and stuck out your tongue.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My License story was that having my picture taken since they started photo IDs, The lady requested me to remove my specs. A half century of Four eyes ! and now I get my picture taken going commando. :yahoo:

Lots of people wear contacts or have eye surgery was the reason.
I lead, or used to anyway, too active a life to wear contacts. I have worn glasses since 8 yrs. old.
At least we can keep our clothes on...for now...:)

Should have titled your head to one side, closed your eyes, and stuck out your tongue.
:icon_rofl:

I was thinking of doing something like that after I left the office...I usually have these inspiring thoughts a bit late...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals