• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Ranger is gone :-(

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I hated to do it, but we just outgrew my '98. With 243,508 miles it still ran like a sewing machine, but my girls were loathe to squeeze into the back of the super cab, so I decided it was tIme to look for a full sized crew cab. My search ended today with the purchase of a 2006 Silverado 4x4 crew cab (I know...a Chevy, right?) 8 years newer with 100k fewer miles and the price was bearable. They gave me $2000 for my Ranger.

I never did get to wheel it, and that's my biggest regret with the deal, but kids grow up and move out, expenses go down, etc...if i decide to do some wheeling in the future there will be Rangers out there to do it in.

To all who have given aid, inspiration and advice, thank you.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I hated to do it, but we just outgrew my '98. With 243,508 miles it still ran like a sewing machine, but my girls were loathe to squeeze into the back of the super cab, so I decided it was tIme to look for a full sized crew cab. My search ended today with the purchase of a 2006 Silverado 4x4 crew cab (I know...a Chevy, right?) 8 years newer with 100k fewer miles and the price was bearable. They gave me $2000 for my Ranger.

I never did get to wheel it, and that's my biggest regret with the deal, but kids grow up and move out, expenses go down, etc...if i decide to do some wheeling in the future there will be Rangers out there to do it in.

To all who have given aid, inspiration and advice, thank you.
I was willing to forgive you till I saw the word [cough cough] sliveradoh, :bawling:
I'll get over it, tis the season to forgive, I hope your new truck lasts as long as the Ranger could have....kids:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Nic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford for a Chevy?!? I'm sorry.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
shoulda kept the Ranger and got a tow package for the silverado and hauled the Ranger behind it so you have something when the Silverado breaks down :)

Seriously tho, while the Chevy will probably be a good vehicle for you, I would have hung on to the Ranger as an extra..sometimes it is nice to have when one of the main vehicles is in the shop, even if it is just to detail it

AJ

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to hear the ranger go. I think you were shopping in the wrong place for a bigger truck. Better luck next time. Hang around, I'm sure you'll be back in a ford before you know it :icon_thumby:

SVT

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Good choice, Bro!! I have a lot of friends who have swapped a Ford for a Ram or a Chevy or Toyota and they have never looked back. They are all happy with what they have bought. My dad’s '10 Raptor has had 2 tranny's and 2 motors replaced in the first 2 years he bought it. Then he had a right frame break while he was taking the boat out in the boon docks. He bought a new Chevy crew cab 4x4 truck this January and is happy with it. He now has 15,000 miles on it and he is always towing his 20 Flats boat everywhere and he loves it.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
For the first few weeks of shopping I was looking exclusively at F250s. I seriously doubt I'll ever NEED that much truck, I just like how they look. Long story short, I test drove a 2004 with high miles and the 5.4 gasser, and was surprised at how heavy it felt. I know it's a heavy truck, but WOW. Plus, the 5.4 is a bit lacking for that much truck. For what I was looking to spend I couldn't bear a PSD, though it would have solved the power problem.

Anyway, we drove up to KY to look at a couple other trucks which turned out to be rougher than the pictures showed. On the way home we detoured through Russellville to see my parents and stopped at a dealer there, and there sat my new truck. They got their numbers to where we could live with them and gave me $2000 for my Ranger, which was in the KBB trade in range. I do miss my Ranger. It served me well since 2008 with right at 100k relatively trouble free miles. Whoever gets it will get a good one.

If I could have afforded to keep it I would have, but as I said before, when life allows more opportunity for wheeling, I'm sure there will be a Ranger for sale that will fit the bill.

I've had GM products in the past and they did ok. Everyone makes junk now and then, but most of what comes off the line nowadays seems to be decent. If this Silverado serves as well as the Ranger, I'll have no complaints. Seems to be a pretty solid truck so far and the kids like the extra room. Needs a bit of stereo work. All in time.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a nice truck. How are you liking the interior? I never liked the inside of the earlier (99-07.5) silverados. It just seems so cheap. I switched to a '12 Sierra with a 4.8 and 4 speed 2 years ago. 1st and reverse blew in under 40k miles and they had to put a fresh factory trans in under warranty. However, I've also had an F-150 with a bad alternator, bad axle seals, and 2 bad ball-joints all under 50k miles. Seems no one can get it right these days.

Otherwise I'm actually liking my GM truck. There's an incredible amount of room to work on these inside the engine bay compared to the Fords. Plus with GMs extreme interchangeability...leaves me with 6.0L swap ideas. Here's to Hoping yours works out in the long run. Anything can be reliable with some PM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals