• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Ranger Clunk?

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys,

Just went through several pages of a 'Clunk' search, looked at the Tech Library but still no answer. I have a '99 stick and my pal has an '01 auto. Both make the same driveling clunk when taking off from a stop unless deliberately slow. His has done it since new, I got mine used but have checked the U-joints. Both drive great, no vibration, no noise. Several threads mentioned the 'Notorious Clunk' without saying what it is? So, what is it?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Dry slip-joint in the driveline.

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Thats just the Trak lok kicking in, the clunk means its working properly.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a TSB for Ford 2 piece driveshafts, they are well known to clunk at the slip joint. Ford sells a grease called XG-8 that fixes the issue. But there are many other things that clunk on Ford drive trains. :rolleyes:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
'98 and newer should be single piece driveshafts on extended cab's unlike earlier versions, that was my first thought too, I think that's where any clunking in my '97 lives...

The other thought is the limited slip, if both have those (look on the tag on the drivers door under "Axle", if the code starts with a letter that's a limited slip) then that's the cause. I'd call it normal if that's the case but wouldn't be bad to check into to make sure the spider gears don't strip out if they're worn out enough.

Only other thing I can think of is transmission mount or engine mount. If either was TTB/TIB I'd say radius arm bushings because I know that noise...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 was doing that. It's a 7.5 open diff. Spider gears well rounded off on the corners. My friend who rebuilt the thing, said "they're worn but not terrible. just don't go selling them to anyone". Haha!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Ixnay, ixnay, Public Service Announcement: FoMoCo "baby blue" XG-8 Anti-Clunk Grease: that 3 oz. tube is a whopping $28.79 at Duh Dealer, $14.30 on Amazon... and only $6.29 at O'Reilly... go figure.

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
My '99 Ext Cab 4WD Manual has the so-called 1-piece driveshaft, but it still has a splined slip-joint (to compensate for suspension travel), and still relies on heavy nickel plating from the factory on those splines, which eventually wears off, and thus develops The Clunk... and benefits from being packed with the same XG-8 grease.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The only ranger driveshafts that are truly "one piece" are 2wd automatics that have the slip joint at the transmission output shaft. Any driveshaft with a bolt on yoke at the transmission or transfer case whether it's 1 piece, or 2 piece with a carrier bearing has a slip joint on the shaft and those are what causes the noise.

The ones with the slip joint at the transmission output shaft still clunk but there's not a damn thing you can do about it since you CAN NOT grease those splines. The splines are inside the transmission and the grease will contaminate the transmission fluid.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals