• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The quest for horsepower. Which way to go?

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
Well, the way I see it, with 187k on an engine that has not been babied, my truck is going to need a new engine sometime in the next few years (maybe months)

So, with that in mind its time to start researching the swap so when I get to it, I will know what options I have.

The truck being set up for offroad racing, I am looking to get at least 300 horsepower out of whatever I put in in (without using nos). Now with that being said, I also need to be able to get somewhat decent gas mileage out of it (would be happy with 15 mpg highway with a manual) So a 351 is all but out of the running, as is any big block engine (not that that would be practical anyway).

Weight is also an issue. If I had my way, I'd prefer an aluminum block, but is not a big deal.

So with all that being said, here are my thoughts
5.0. nice engine, kinda heavy, low power in stock form, but a lot of aftermarket mods to crank it up. will go in pretty easy

4.6. able to meet all my wants in stock form, but going to be a lot more difficult to put in.

4.0 can be supercharged easily, bolt in swap. I know I can get 300hp out of it, but at what strain on the engine and at what cost? Its going to take a lot more build up vs the other two engines. its also going to be a lot easier to get my hands on.

what other options do I have? I have even kicked around the idea of putting in a small turbocharged engine like a subaru engine, but something tells me thats not something I want to mess with.

Please, serious suggestions only. there are many engines I would love to have, but the simple fact is most of them aren't going to be feasible to a college kid. I'm willing to consider most anything.
also feel free to discuss any theoretics, point out anything I missed. Just don't tell me its stupid. I already know that.

thoughtcriminal

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just another regular OHV 4.0L?

The 5.0L is lighter than 4.6L, aftermarket is cheaper, swap is easier, and the 5.0L makes more torque than a mid-90's 2v SOHC 4.6L. 5.0L is going to make torque lower in the power band as well. 4.6L is a good engine, don't get me wrong, but the complications of the swap in a pre '98 truck are pretty significant. It's not impossible, but it's not easy by any means.

A blown 4.0L is going to be expensive, probably the most. And the most troublesome, it's going to be a pain to get it "just right."

Sounds like you want a street engine in an offroader, this may not be what you want. If it's a serious racing class, make sure that the engine follows the guidelines for whatever class you're racing in.

Pete

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just build a mild 302 and 300hp is nowhere out of the realm of possiblity, just get a older engine pre emissions and ull already be close to your goal of power....

ScreeminDeemin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i would put in a 5.0 out of a 87-93 mustang preferably the mass air equipped engine.

which I believe you could get from late 89 to 93 and of them a 89 or 90 is the best, which had forged pistons and could take a pile more abuse.

you don't want 1 from a 94-95 mustang as the computer is a PITA

so once you got the engine and computer put on a set of patriot performance heads (I paid 950 new for mine), a professional products intake (I paid 390ish for mine), a ford racing E-303 cam, 75mm throttle body, 80mm mass air meter (these 2 can be had from holley or proproducts for pretty cheap), and 24 pph injectors and you'll have over 300 horse for relatively cheap and be nearly bullet proof.

but thats just what I would do if I wanted that kinda power....oh wait I did do that in my fox mustang except also added some giggle gas.

its just an idea maybe something to think about.

also all pricing is in canadian which was a fair difference when I bought the parts.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
The 5.0L is lighter than 4.6L
My 4.6 dohc only weighs about 25 pounds more than the 2.5 that came out of the truck. The aluminum 4.6 blocks are 75 pounds lighter than the cast iron version. The newer Explorers have a 4.6 sohc with an aluminum block.

Thoughtcriminal, since you have a '94 4x4, don't go with the 4.6L. You'll have to change the steering and trying to clear the front diff might be a nightmare.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
What about a 215 Buick? All aluminum V8, light weight, decent power...

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If I were you, I would put a 5.0 in it. It's easier to get 300 hp out of it, and easier on it than souping up a 4.0. If you get a 5.0 though, you're going to have to get the tranny and all that stuff. You can go to www.jamesduff.com and look up the parts they have for the conversion. It'll cost a little over 1,000 to get those parts. You still got to get the engine and tranny tho. But no worries I want to do this to mine someday. My Explorer has 125,000 miles on it I don't think she'll last much longer (knock on wood).

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, let me run throw this idea out there. Cadillac northstar. I know they were made for front wheel drive cars, but kinda wondering if I could put one in with some work. would be different

soooo, did some more looking, and a lot of current cadillacs are rear wheel drive running that engine. so me thinks with a little cobbling it can be done *runs off to find out about bolt patterns*

I'd have to use a tranny designed for a 4x4 correct?

dimensions (putting them here so I can get a side by side comparison)

northstar
31"L, 26"H, 28"W

302 27-1/2 Inches L 20-3/4 Inches H 18-3/4 Inches W
4.6L DOHC 28 Inches L 29-7/8 Inches H 30 Inches W

hmmm. whats are the limiting dimensions here? it really looks like its not gonna happen, and if it is, the ford 4.6 might even be less of a headache

Last edited:

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Next time I see my dad, will take a look at the 5.3 in his chevy. I can't find the dimensions anywhere, but I swear somewhere on here someone said about putting one into a ranger

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you want a street engine in an offroader, this may not be what you want. If it's a serious racing class, make sure that the engine follows the guidelines for whatever class you're racing in.

Pete
let me just clarify this. In reality, I wont be doing much competition racing. The way its being built, its gonna be fast, but it won't really keep up with the high end trucks in the class its going to be (NORRA pro modified at first, Unlimited once I get out of college and get another vehicle and can make a dedicated offroader. (if she lasts that long))

For the most part, she will be a play toy. I may take part in 2-3 races per season, the rest of the time its gonna be "hey, watch this"

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm. whats are the limiting dimensions here? it really looks like its not gonna happen, and if it is, the ford 4.6 might even be less of a headache

It's not the size of the engine, it's the stuff on the engine hitting things on the Ranger.

For example, look at the picture of the 4.6 on my '98.

See the water neck and the PS pump right below it? The oil filter is right behind the water neck. That's right where the steering box is on the '97-earlier Rangers.

On your 4x4 you'll also have the front diff to try to clear. Raise the engine up and you'll hit the brake booster. A 2WD can be done by changing the steering to a different box (outside frame). But i think your 4x4 will be a real headache.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals