• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The OBX headers are now AVAILABLE again!

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So after the OBX headers that are a copy of the original Torque Monster were not available anymore for just over a year now, are in stock again.

They still do not show up on the OBX website anymore since they got taken down a long time ago, but they are currently available from OBX's ebay store(s).

They have price gouged these since reposting them, probably because alot of ranger guys have been emailing them over the past year expressing interest, or this is maybe the last time these will ever be available, who knows.

They used to be $399 for the longest time, now they are $599 +$45 to ship, ouch.... They have been dropping the price to $539 +$45 shipping on and off a couple times over the past two weeks which helps some, but still a bit expensive.

I have installed a fair amount of OBX exhaust products for other peoples various vehicles over the years, and it is very hit and miss on quality of fitment, sometime fit like a glove and some you have modify the shit out of it to work. But I have yet to see or install a set of OBX 5.0 headers..

OBX is just your typical chinese product, nothing special and has essentially zero tech support or warranty support no matter what the site claims, so buy at your own risk and fully expect any emails or phone calls to go unreturned, because they have a terrible track record for no communication.

That being said, this current batch is really the only gt40p explorer option these days since the FMS version has been discontinued, and the Torque Monster owner disappearing and becoming unreliable, who knows if this is the last batch of OBX explorer headers or if they are back in full production, or how good they may or may not fit, and they are pricey. But just alerting you guys that as of today they seem to be available for now. On the other hand they have produced and sold 10's of 1000's of headers, manifolds, downpipes, exhuasts for dozens and dozens of different models both import and domestic for over a decade now, and people keep buying them, so there is that...

And also do understand there is only one source for these things currently, and that the 3 sellers on ebay that have them listed are all the same company with separate 3 accounts as most chinese autoparts distributors do so that when they get claims or holds one account they can still keep selling on the others while ebay/paypal processes the claims, and these 3 accounts are OBX's direct ebay sales channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Fits-For-97-thru-01-Ford-Explorer-Mercury-Mountaineer-5-0L-/232247403732?fits=Model:Explorer&hash=item36130624d4:g:R0cAAOSwr~lYq3pb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Fits-97-98-99-00-01-Ford-Explorer-Mercury-Mountaineer-5-0L-/172541290705?hash=item282c4328d1:g:gtEAAOSw2gxYpPBO&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-For-97-98-99-00-01-Ford-Explorer-Mercury-Mountaineer-5-0L-/182461661218?fits=Model:Explorer&hash=item2a7b900022:g:2qwAAOSw2gxYo4Yb&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok guys, I took the hit and ordered a set although a bit overpriced from what they used to be. We will see how fast they ship and if they have changed any since the previous batch they were selling in 2015.

It will be interesting to see how they fit since my frame is Z'd 2.5", upper control arms raised 2", the motor lowered just over 1" inside the frame using the stock 5.0 mounts and plates modified in a 2wd frame, and also will be running Trickflow TW non-p heads.... I may have just wasted a bunch of money if they aren't even close for what I need in my bagged project truck, and may end up reselling them here in a 'my loss your gain' situation.. :)

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>>>

They used to be $399 for the longest time, now they are $599 +$45 to ship, ouch.... They have been dropping the price to $539 +$45 shipping on and off a couple times over the past two weeks which helps some, but still a bit expensive.
====================
WOW that's a CRAZY price!:icon_confused:

If I decide to put headers on mine, I'll buy a set of flanges & a kit for a Mustang and have them built

I can get a local shop to build me a custom set of long tubes for $250 with my kit.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
====================
WOW that's a CRAZY price!:icon_confused:

If I decide to put headers on mine, I'll buy a set of flanges & a kit for a Mustang and have them built

I can get a local shop to build me a custom set of long tubes for $250 with my kit.
Got a link to a specific stainless mustang kit you have in mind?

I would love to see a set of long tubes built inside a control arm expo/ranger frame, it sure is a tight squeezed motor beside the framerails. I haven't found any pics as of yet.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i dont think the price is astronomical if they're of decent quality. the torque monsters were $800 a set and they sold at that price. hell, i was actually ready to buy a set of those obx headers when i stumbled onto some torque monsters. i'm interested in hearing what you think of them, hopefully theyre built well and fill that void in the market.

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I haven't even started my swap yet, so I'm definitely not speaking from experience here... but I'm curious, what are the problems with going on the outside of the frame, with the headers/pipes?

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i dont think the price is astronomical if they're of decent quality. the torque monsters were $800 a set and they sold at that price. hell, i was actually ready to buy a set of those obx headers when i stumbled onto some torque monsters. i'm interested in hearing what you think of them, hopefully theyre built well and fill that void in the market.
We will see next week I assume, as they have already shipped.. You are right, there is a major void, and unfortunately for now if anyone wants to just go buy a set of new off-the-shelf headers for their 302 in a SLA-Frame truck this is the ONLY option, at least they are not asking $800+ just because that's where the TMH were (yet..). For the past year there were zero options, so at least for now there is 1, regardless of price, being a copy, or being made in china - it is what it is...

I haven't even started my swap yet, so I'm definitely not speaking from experience here... but I'm curious, what are the problems with going on the outside of the frame, with the headers/pipes?
The control arms are a huge problem, and these frames are just narrow and crowded. I have not seen any SLA trucks with outside the rail pipes, though I have seen a couple ibeam trucks with them in the past as there is much more room on that design..

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well headers arrived today. I just opened the box and glanced at them when I got home late. I will take a look at them better this week and post some pics.

They arrived very fast and they are marked with a manufacture date of 12/15/16. More thoughts and info to come and I will be test fitting them on the motor in the frame on the ground with no cab, so should help you guys visualize the fitment somewhat (although my motor is lowered over an inch so we will see).

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Well I went tri-y'all on my ranger and won't ever look back I'm on instagram @dreaded_7 for pics . Only cost me $115 shipped if not I can show them . That's with a 96 expo 5.0 power train in a 94 ranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Please>>>>>

Well I went tri-y'all on my ranger and won't ever look back I'm on instagram @dreaded_7 for pics . Only cost me $115 shipped if not I can show them . That's with a 96 expo 5.0 power train in a 94 ranger
============
Pics here PLEASE!:icon_thumby:

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I will defiantly check out your instagram as I love seeing any custom swaps. But that's an I-Beam truck and doesn't apply to the 98+ fitment issues, I've seen all kinds of various header setups used on those, they are alot easier to work in.

What I haven't seen much of is custom headers in an SLA suspension frame, I would love to see what other headers setups besides the TMH/FMS/OBX in a 98+ if anyone has pics of any.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to be working on headers when I get my engine to my truck. I had TM's but sold them and I'm gonna try to go for fox body long tubes. Probably going to have to make some adjustments but, after I moved the steering shaft I got a lot more clearance.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm going to be working on headers when I get my engine to my truck. I had TM's but sold them and I'm gonna try to go for fox body long tubes. Probably going to have to make some adjustments but, after I moved the steering shaft I got a lot more clearance.

Awesome, defiantly post up some pics of the progress when you get the engine in place.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem, will do.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals