• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the money pit- 1988 ezgo gas golf cart.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I got this about a month ago, one of those things I thought was too good of a deal to pass on. A 1988 ezgo gas powered golf cart. It was on letgo for 250, I offered 200 and was told come get it, so I spent 30 min empting out my box trailer and then drove out to get it. was almost dark when I got there so didnt really go over it until the next day. the good: 4 nearly new tires/wheels, 2 of which are painted red (wth) the body was white oringinally but has been painted blue then black. I know I was thinking th engine was most likely toast but I had heard of a few people repowering with a $200 harbour freight engine, well- I didnt do enough research. this is a 2-cycle gas engine, 244 cc. reverse is accomplished by shutting off the motor (which happens when you let off the gas pedal) and the reverse switch merely causes the starter/generator to start engine backwards. yes. I had heard a 2-cycle could run backwards but never knew of it being done on purpose. so theres no gear box, its like a snowmobile drive setup if youve ever seen one, a centrifical clutch on the engine and a varible sheve on the front of the differential. So if you were to repower, thered be some fab work for a engine mount plate and youd have no reverse. if it was a newer 4-cycle, it might be alot easier. was told it had a new carb and fuel pump. I checked for spark, had that but low compression. rebuild kit still available but nearly 400 bucks. (includes crankshaft and new rod, bearings, seals, gaskets) found bad crankshaft seal on ignition side of crankcase during teardown. free spinning crank once piston was out revealed noisy main bearings. cyl/piston scored. g/f thought this would be a nice toy to take to yard sales, I think it belongs in a yard sale. enine very heavy and awkward to go in and out, has steel cylinder and clutch assy and muffler have to be on to go in or out of chassis. I got the new parts put in, waited a full 2 days for the sealant to cure on the crankcase halves before finishing assembly. That went together well. then fight to get it back in the chassis and get all the bolts lined up. It tries to start but just wont stay running, compression really good now, about 115 (was 70) clutch doesnt want to engage at all (and thats another 200 dollar part) I already got a buch of stuff together to make it road legal (lights, mirrors, seat belts) hell, theres a special bolt thats 40 bucks to take the clutch off with, I made my own with a hitch ball (3/4-fine threads, 2 inches long) and a 3/8 extention. I dont really care for the gas pedal being the start and stop switch, I may change it if I ever get it running.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
got it running today, turns out it needed a spark plug. originally this had a seperate oil tank and pump, along with some sort of governer. Both had been removed. Guess this engine is a insane 128:1 ratio. 1 ounce oil to 1 gallon of gas. supposed to run it at 40:1 for break-in. (guess I’ll need another plug) with no governor it really roars, even though there is a muffler its pretty loud. The clutch did finnally free up and decided to work, glad for that (another $200 id need) Took it out on the road with my hand-held gps. Does 22 mph which does seem to be hauling for something the size of a riding mower. brakes aint great, only 1 hooked up, put a whole qt of 80/90 in the rear diff. Front wheels rumbled a little so I popped off the dust covers, filled 1/2 way with 80/90 and smacked them back on. later I noticed oil on the insides of the rims, oh well- at least I know oil got to the inside bearing. once I get the motor fine- tuned , I’ll put some lights on it, some paint, and either keep it or resell it. Right now Im leaning towards selling.

Last edited:

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
This seems like a fun little project. Worked on a golf course as a young lad, did a lot of dumb stuff on one just like this. 10/10 they are pretty fun to drive around in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals