• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The junkyard dog build

Tinkerbell86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the 86 super cab my bf gave me.Its going to be a slow build as he has a couple of explorers hes building aready.The goal is to have it done by fall to drive this winter and most of the truck will be built with parts he has got from junkyards,hence the name.It will be slow but I will up date it as it goes.I dont have a picture before we started tearing it down.Thats why the bed is removed in these pictures.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that truck is in need of some serious lovin!

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea it needs some loving.I didnt want the truck but I was at a local junkyard and they were going to crush it.A guy that worked there owned the truck but it quit on him and he could never get it running and sold it to them for scrap.The owner knows how much I like rangers and he talked me into buying it.They were going to crush it the day I bought it.It's going to be a budget build mostly built with parts purchased from junk yards.I gave $465 for the truck.It has a lot of surface rust and has been hit on the passenger side in the front.That shouldnt be to hard to fix.Here are a couple of pictures.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to post prices of the things we buy for it just to keep track of how much we spend.I replaced the rusted factory ranger wheels with 16" explorer wheels.They were free same junkyard.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bed that was on the truck was almost rust free but one of the morons that works there hit it with the loader.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So here is the new bed and tailgate I bought from another junkyard.$75 for the bed and $50 for the tailgate.The bed is rust free only a couple small dents,and it already has bushwacker cutout flares molded in.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They guy even threw in the front fenders free.The drivers side is busted but I think I found a couple of front ones on ebay.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats all the pictures we have right now.The rear spring hangers are rusted threw but she ordered a full set off amazon.com for $76 shipped.And as soon as I get the cab set off we are going to have the complete frame sandblasted for $200.I also picked up a first gen push bar for $20 at the same junkyard I bought the truck from.And I have a factory roll bar from a first gen that was given to me.This will be kinda a retro 80's build the truck is getting a 5 speed from my parts broncoII and a eb dana 44 front and a nine inch rear,with a fabritech straight axle kit($200).And i have a 3 inch body lift that was free.So thats it so far she wanted a lifted truck of her own to drive and she will be helping and learning as we build it.

Tinkerbell86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for posting the pictures babe it takes me forever.I am building this truck 80's style with his help.I just want a lifted truck to drive I am not really into four wheeling yet.I look forward to learning alot.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
really good start. atleast you found a tailgate with the alluminum piece not all beat up. that's all I see from junkyards around here.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

I KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO THIS TRUCK!!!!!!

i gotta find some more people who i was discussing it with like 3 days ago!!!!!

ok, here's what you do to it... cut the coils, (it is coil spring right?) move the rear axle foreward, flip the shackle, spring it under, hack the back end of the frame off, fix the fender, and paint it all rusty brown, then sand it all upto give it that sweet sweet rat rod look!

if you want to get REALLY into it, a roof chop would be sick, just lower the seats for headroom... the ranger seats are MUCH higher than they need to be

we were talking like 2 days ago, in the truck of the month thread, about how we would all love to see a ranger rat rod!!!! seriously, this truck is exactly how we all said the best project should start! and the flares on that bed would look SICK with a rat truck!

absolutely 100% if you built this as a rat rod, i would vote for it!!!

you'll need some smaller steel rims (14" or so) and some white walls to finish off the look... the grill will need something special too...

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you do realize she is SASing it right?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NO SAS!!!!!!! drop it rat rod it!!!!!!

would be such a cheap build too!!!! the lowering can all be done for virtually free, the axle can be moved forward for next to nothing, the only thing you would have to pay for, is driveshaft shortening, paint and a fender, which are almost all things you would need anyways...

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
She said she wants a lifted truck, why on earth would she lower it? Besides I am sure there are plenty of rusted out POS's in Canada that you can make look like crap. So why don't you do it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hahahahaha.. so, subscribed for 1.

and 2.... sas it!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals