• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Ford Maverick is coming June 8th

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dunno. I was told my 09 xl has xlt options so what does it even matter lol. Anything can be whatever it wants! My truck self identifies as a boss 429...

Wanna fight about it?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Maverick is offered at three trim levels – XL, XLT and Lariat. An FX4 package available for all-wheel-drive XLT and Lariat trucks adds more off-road capability with rugged all-terrain tires and suspension tuning, additional underbody protection, and off-road-focused drive modes like Mud/Rut and Sand, as well as the addition of Hill Descent Control™.
I figured that was what they were going to do with it to get an “FX4” package.

I kinda agree with Dirman. FX4 is for 4X4, AWD. should be called something else.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Usually xlt is anything (2wd or 4wd) but you need xlt 4x4 trim before getting fx4... never seen anything in an XL package with fx4, but also never seen an AWD called an FX4 so who the heck knows.
If you get the XL with the FX4, you have to get the STX package. At lest that is what I had to do with the 2019.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I figured that was what they were going to do with it to get an “FX4” package.

I kinda agree with Dirman. FX4 is for 4X4, AWD. should be called something else.
AX4 is free.... or "terrible not 4x4 thing with a viscous coupling and a bunch of weird sensors that fail" is a good one. Or just "do not use this offroad you idiot" package. Both good options..

Or label them all "you bought a focus with a bed, you're gonna die offroad package...."

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The FX package (2 or 4) just adds skid plates, stiffer shocks, hill descent control, and more aggressive tires. They could put the FX2 package on a Mustang if they wanted to... it’s nothing special.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
AX4 is free.... or "terrible not 4x4 thing with a viscous coupling and a bunch of weird sensors that fail" is a good one. Or just "do not use this offroad you idiot" package. Both good options..

Or label them all "you bought a focus with a bed, you're gonna die offroad package...."
I’m wondering what they are using for the clutch pack system for the rear axle. Probably electrically actuated.

The best system I ever saw outside of Subaru’s system was the hydromechanical system the 1997-2001 Honda CR-Vs used. The later electrically actuated ones were never as good.

The down side with the hydromechanical system is you had to stay on top of the fluid changes and you had to stay on top of 5 tire rotations. Very robust differentials though. Even when they got noisy, if you gave it a drain fill a couple times, the problem would correct itself. At $3,000 a unit, they better be!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I’m wondering what they are using for the clutch pack system for the rear axle. Probably electrically actuated.

The best system I ever saw outside of Subaru’s system was the hydromechanical system the 1997-2001 Honda CR-Vs used. The later electrically actuated ones were never as good.

The down side with the hydromechanical system is you had to stay on top of the fluid changes and you had to stay on top of 5 tire rotations. Very robust differentials though. Even when they got noisy, if you gave it a drain fill a couple times, the problem would correct itself. At $3,000 a unit, they better be!
I have never cared to dig deep into AWD systems EXCEPT my 78 dodge lol. That was a bit different than modern awd though. The np203 just had a diff inside it with a loc mode. I did replace a viscous coupler on a toyota which is insanely expensive and from what I gather just a bag of fluid and clutches with a solenoid in it? Some of these systems are insane where they have a way to lock each wheel, computers for everything, i mean they can be amazing on road in the snow but besides a 1978 dodge i have never met an AWD system I'd actually do any mild offroading with...

My moms edge and her mkx were amazing on the road in snow, but good god I'd never take them offroading even if they were lifted somehow. The system just isnt made for it. Its made for putting traction on the road.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I think it's funny how they are building a smaller truck, and almost everybody wants to make it bigger with a lift and off road tires so it can go off road.
"let's make a Ranger out of this Maverick because Rangers are too expensive and we wanted a smaller cheaper truck so we can make this Maverick bigger with more expensive parts"

There shouldn't even be an "FX4" option IMO. If you want an expensive off road truck, get the Ranger!
I say give the AWD version the "ST" treatment with low profile tires, lowered stance,no chrome, and cool paint colors.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think it's funny how they are building a smaller truck, and almost everybody wants to make it bigger with a lift and off road tires so it can go off road.
"let's make a Ranger out of this Maverick because Rangers are too expensive and we wanted a smaller cheaper truck so we can make this Maverick bigger with more expensive parts"

There shouldn't even be an "FX4" option IMO. If you want an expensive off road truck, get the Ranger!
I say give the AWD version the "ST" treatment with low profile tires, lowered stance,no chrome, and cool paint colors.
Because increasing ground clearance isn't the same thing as making it longer/wider?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

I've said since the t5 rangers are too close to the f150 in size and price. I dont think they needed a maverick, just make the new ranger original size with a full frame, rwd, and a 2.0 ecoboost...

Big truck = super duty, mid truck = f150, small truck = ranger. Don't need 4.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've said since the t5 rangers are too close to the f150 in size and price. I dont think they needed a maverick, just make the new ranger original size with a full frame, rwd, and a 2.0 ecoboost...

Big truck = super duty, mid truck = f150, small truck = ranger. Don't need 4.
F-150 and SD up to 550 or wherever they cutoff to flipnose share the basic cab.

There is a pretty good size difference between the Ranger and F-150. Interior-wise an extended cab F-150 isn't much smaller fore to aft than a crew cab Ranger and is much wider.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
450 is the cutoff for the bed i think. The 450 comes cab/chassis but a 350 dually bed fits with a goofy spacer. We had a quad cab dually f450 with a bed and a fifth wheel for our tow vehicle and the bed was never made to be there. It had a special spacer between the cab and bed from ford. The f550 of the same thing had zero way to use a pickup bed. The frame was different. @snoranger would know about this. We needed a pickup bed so got the 450. It was a 2014 so maybe it changed. 550 had different engines too, 450 was still regular powerstroke 6.7. I think the 550 was like serious real diesels, not that the 6.7 couldn't hold its own. We towed nearly 20k with that truck and it did not care.

7.3 can't touch what the 6.7 does.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

I mean.. for people who want to go "soft-roading" the awd maverick would be awesome. Do we know how much the base awd model costs? Surely less than a base model 4x4 ranger, AND it could get better fuel economy, AND it's a little smaller for people that can't drive. It's not a stupid idea.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
450 is the cutoff for the bed i think. The 450 comes cab/chassis but a 350 dually bed fits with a goofy spacer. We had a quad cab dually f450 with a bed and a fifth wheel for our tow vehicle and the bed was never made to be there. It had a special spacer between the cab and bed from ford. The f550 of the same thing had zero way to use a pickup bed. The frame was different. @snoranger would know about this. We needed a pickup bed so got the 450. It was a 2014 so maybe it changed.
'450 can come wide frame or narrow frame, dually bed is optional. They just added that option a few years ago.

I don't know if the cab mounts get changed or not. Even if they do the shell wouldn't change dimensions.

I mean.. for people who want to go "soft-roading" the awd maverick would be awesome. Do we know how much the base awd model costs? Surely less than a base model 4x4 ranger, AND it could get better fuel economy, AND it's a little smaller for people that can't drive. It's not a stupid idea.
Ground clearance = snow clearance for those that live in northern climates and don't care about offroading too.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Interesting....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals