• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The first Deranged "OH CHIT, I am gonna die" moment.

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well everyone has that moment where you realize

A: My heart rate just found 400BPM,
B: I am a complete retard, and
C: Please god make it stop.

My first one in the Ranger was today. I was playing with the brakes, as the 3rd and different master cylinder seems to be leaking out the rear of the bore. I took the whole deal off to look at it, and try to figure it out, and was about 99% finished buttoning up, when my buddy Jeff, the Ford tech stops by to program the new PCM. We get that done and decide to take it for a quick spin.....99% done.....We take it out on the street, and its a beast, and only running on stock f-250 6.0 programming, yet it still gets sideways, and pins you to the seat.....99%. We turn a corner onto a straight stretch with no houses for quite a while with a stop sign at the end, then a school zone after the stop. 99% I get on it hard, and it spins through first and second, then grabs pretty good in third, and we start accelerating pretty damned fast. 99% I get out of it about 55 mph, and hit the brakes.......:bang:doh: the 1% was the cotter pin that holds the brake lever to the pedal.......Yes, I know I am an idiot! I told Jeff, oh chit, no brakes, and he laughs, till he realizes I am serious. We were still a lOOOOONG way from the stop, but getting there at 45MPH. I grabbed the lever,a nd pulled it to 1st gear, and thank god it went right to 1st and basically skidded to about 15 MPH, then started to slow fast. I popped it into nuetral and coasted to about 5 mph, and tsince it was a slight down hill, I popped it into reverse, and it slowed, then stopped. Right to park. When I could stand, I got out, and saw the cotter pin sitting on the floorboard. I quickly put it back in, and we decided we had had enough for the day. LOL Here is a quick video just after. You can hear jeff ask, "GOt brakes" as we approach the stop.

I will always, complete 100% before I get distracted again. Maybe a checklist like the airplane for my sorry ass.

Quick little 1st and second hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G320N9qXIo

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
No E-Brake?

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nope! Drag brakes in the rear.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear that you got out of that situation ok. On a lighter note; that engine sounds so right in a Ranger. :headbang:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like when i hit whoops i didn't see in the desert and proceded to bounce uncontrollably and couldn't stop cause it was bouncing so violently my foot couldn't get the pedal..... not fun

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oly Chit! Glad it ended okay!

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you think you were driving a toyota?

nice ride by the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals