• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Family Ranger

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good Morning,

I've been lurking around a little, and wanted to start participating as my Ranger is going to need a little help going forward. But first, the story behind the truck:

This 2009 Ranger was purchased new in 2009 by my dad (with my help) as the 2010's were starting to come out. It has the 4.0L V6, RWD and a towing package (though I'm not sure if it was the factory installed version with a tranny cooler or a dealer installed tow hitch only). He anticipated using it for towing his camper and lots of yard work.

Instead, he had a job change and ended up putting in long hours out of town, rarely using the Ranger for anything but interstate travel, selling the camper in 2011. At 130,000 miles, he decided to replace it with something more fuel efficient and more comfortable. I wouldn't let him trade it in, so now it's mine!

I've driven it for about 10,000 miles since then, and here's what I know:

The good: Engine and tranny still run strong. It's been on synthetic oil for a long time and I usually can beat the factory gas mileage ratings. Frame has only light surface rust, and the only rust on the cab is a little bit at the door edges. Dad had the maintenance done by the dealership he bought it at, so fluid changes and most maintenance were performed at factory intervals.

The bad: Suspension is starting to squat on the rear end and overall the ride is awful. Vibration in the steering at 65mph and up. (Seeing the mechanic next week for that)

The worst: The floor of the bed is SOFT. I see where the factory heat shield over the exhaust just absorbed water into the bed,.and in places the spray in bed liner is all that holds the metal together. The seam at the front edge of the bed has seperated from rust and flexes.

I'm hoping to keep this Ranger going for a while. I use it mostly for short in town trips and yard work, with much longer camping trips through the summer (much like dad originally intended). The furthest off-road it ever gets is gravel roads on the campground, so it's mostly a tow/haul vehicle.

Hoping to learn and improve it so this Ranger can stay in the family many more miles!
PXL_20210528_113157644.MP.jpg

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Don't let the rough ride fool you, It IS a truck after all. I noticed mine ( 3.0 v6) handled and rode better when I was towing a trailer. I think it has to do with the stiff rear springs with NO load that makes it seem rough. Or you could need some suspension work, like you stated. lol.

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Don't let the rough ride fool you, It IS a truck after all. I noticed mine ( 3.0 v6) handled and rode better when I was towing a trailer. I think it has to do with the stiff rear springs with NO load that makes it seem rough. Or you could need some suspension work, like you stated. lol.
The harshness of the ride I can handle. The main issue I have is when I'm not towing the rear end tends to "jump" when I hit bumps, enough it gets squirrelly at higher speeds. When I am towing it's started to bounce like a see saw and doesn't want to stop. I suspect my rear shocks are toasted and it's mostly just using the leaf springs.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
yeah... with no weight in it they tend to want to jump around a bit at highway speeds. A lot depends on the quality of the highway too...

If you're getting bounce... you're right... look to the shocks. They're probably shot and not doing their job.

Congrats on keeping the Ranger in the family.

Welcome to TRS....

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah... with no weight in it they tend to want to jump around a bit at highway speeds. A lot depends on the quality of the highway too...

If you're getting bounce... you're right... look to the shocks. They're probably shot and not doing their job.

Congrats on keeping the Ranger in the family.

Welcome to TRS....
Thanks! I'm hoping that repairing the Ranger will be more cost effective long term than replacing it, especially in this market. I'm hearing this engine can hit 200-300k if cared for, and the first 130,000 miles were old man interstate miles...

I just gotta figure out what to do about the rusting bed. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, (I changed the spark plugs, can change oil, basics like that) but have neither the knowledge or tools to do a ton of things alone.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Thanks! I'm hoping that repairing the Ranger will be more cost effective long term than replacing it, especially in this market. I'm hearing this engine can hit 200-300k if cared for, and the first 130,000 miles were old man interstate miles...

I just gotta figure out what to do about the rusting bed. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, (I changed the spark plugs, can change oil, basics like that) but have neither the knowledge or tools to do a ton of things alone.
you might want to look for a replacement bed from a JunkYard, LKQ, Row52, or something like that. Sometimes replacement is easier, cheaper, and more effective, when it come to truck beds.

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
you might want to look for a replacement bed from a JunkYard, LKQ, Row52, or something like that. Sometimes replacement is easier, cheaper, and more effective, when it come to truck beds.
I'll have to check those places out. I think I could manage replacement myself (it isn't really anymore than some bolts and taillight wiring, right?). Locally it's impossible to find any beds in good enough shape to use, salt is a monster around here...

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Vibration in the steering at 65mph and up.
Have you inspected the tires lately? I had really terrible vibration at highway speeds (on my way to pick up a set of spare wheels funnily enough). I thought it was because of a bad alignment/worn suspension components, but it was my tires--they were manufactured in 1997! I put some brand new ones on there and it fixed the vibration completely...well, except for the terrible Wisconsin County highways.
Check the DOT code on the tires to make sure they're not really old. Really simple check before you start down the suspension rabbit hole. (https://tinyurl.com/4ycv3jhk) -- goes to discount tire but url was gigantic. Not p*** I promise.
My Ranger also sort of...shimmies over bumps. As in the front tires seems to hop an inch or two to the left after I go over them. I think in my case this has more to do with the twin I-beam setup. The front suspension on your Ranger is completely different.
Your truck looks to be in fantastic shape--I'm sure with some TLC she'll bring you many miles of adventure. Godspeed!

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Have you inspected the tires lately? I had really terrible vibration at highway speeds (on my way to pick up a set of spare wheels funnily enough). I thought it was because of a bad alignment/worn suspension components, but it was my tires--they were manufactured in 1997! I put some brand new ones on there and it fixed the vibration completely...well, except for the terrible Wisconsin County highways.
Check the DOT code on the tires to make sure they're not really old. Really simple check before you start down the suspension rabbit hole. (https://tinyurl.com/4ycv3jhk) -- goes to discount tire but url was gigantic. Not p*** I promise.
My Ranger also sort of...shimmies over bumps. As in the front tires seems to hop an inch or two to the left after I go over them. I think in my case this has more to do with the twin I-beam setup. The front suspension on your Ranger is completely different.
Your truck looks to be in fantastic shape--I'm sure with some TLC she'll bring you many miles of adventure. Godspeed!
Thanks for the compliment on the truck. It looks great as long as you don't look in the bed, lol!

The tires were just rotated and serviced about 500 miles ago (one had a slow leak due to a nail) as well as rebalanced. They are fairly new as Dad was driving about 30,000 miles a year the last few years, and these have about 70% tread left. I guess a weight could have fallen off, but they hopefully should be good otherwise.

Dad had also mentioned his tire shop struggled to balance one of the wheels, as it was slightly bent. Mine didn't say anything about it, but if the wheel is further deteriorating I'd assume that could do it as well.

Campin1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well an update:

The shocks were all trashed. Mechanic said it was bad enough it was messing up the balance of the tires too. New shocks and a tire balance and it's riding much better!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals