• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Estimate is in... YIKES!

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, just got back from a shop that does good quality work...tho I personally don't like most of their guys...the older guy was nice.

Bent Tie-rod and connecting rod (right side=Passenger???) The older guy did the inspection/estimate and said the ball joints looked great, and was surprised. He also said the truck was safe enough to drive, as long as I kept fluid in the steering gear box.

The cost for replacing the p/s box, shocks (they said I needed them), the r/h inner tie rod end and connecting rod, along with filling and bleeding the system, and castor/camber bearing install, with alignment is $550.00 with ME providing the p/s gearbox.

Oh and they felt the need to tell me my Catalytic converters, muffler and both tail and connecting pipes needed replacing to the cost of about $800.00...*sighs*

I am praying we can afford and figure out how to do this ourselves as I cannot begin to afford that much money for the repairs...

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. I have downloaded the catalog from LMCTrucks and the parts won't be so very much, and we can manage at least the steering parts, but not the box yet...

So, how hard are these things to change? Hubby is ok as a basic mechanic, IF he takes stuff apart, but is not real confident. So are there any hints, tips, alerts about things that might be a problem we should know about?

Thank you folks, you've been such a huge help and support these last couple of weeks, and it is truly appreciated!

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
get an aftermarket exhaust and replacement cat and put them in yourself,basic tools only.the steering box and steering is pretty easy to change yourself(your husband i mean).then you only have to pay a shop to align it.you can borrow the pullers you need from autozone or kragen.you might have them balance your front tires too since it was hit in the front hard enough to change the alignment.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh! I forgot to add the $550.00 was WITHOUT the caster/camber bearing install, that would add another $150.00 or so...

Thanks Rick, I was thinking we could try...but wasn't sure how difficult it might prove to be. LOL Actually, I am more mechanical than hubby, but I also have severe spinal arthritis, so can't work much on my truck myself these days...

It's hell getting old!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Do you still get emissions tested there? Cause around here and a lot of other places pre-OBDII (1995 down) model year vehicles are now being considered "emissions exempt" because nobody wants to spend money on the equipment to test vehicles that make up a smaller and smaller portion of what's on the road each year. If that is the case, I wouldn't bother with replacing the catalytic converter as a piece of pipe is much cheaper.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as I know they don't do emissions testing here in Washington, they simply have very high standards to begin with...Plus, the truck is a Canadian truck and Air Canada has much MUCH higher air quality standards than we do...but yeah I was thinking that we really didn't need to fix the cats, just put a good piece of pipe...or headers... LOL

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A complete bolt-in exhaust system from the Y-pipe back for an OBD-I truck costs less than $200 if you throw in a new oxygen sensor and can be put in by a rank novice in an hour or so. It will cost less for a custom-bend, but beware that quite a lot of shops will butcher the Y-pipe trying to weld a cat to it. A straight pipe is illegal and will fail ANY emissions inspection where the inspector isn't smoking weeds. Emissions testing is in PARTS of Washington (largely around Puget Sound for the moment), and it's spreading everywhere simply because it has to.

Headers do not affect the cats.

$550? Is that in New Taiwan dollars? You're being taken to the cleaners....

The only part of all that that can't be done by an amateur with appropriate documentation and a torque wrench is the alignment.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Too bad your not closer. I have a steering gearbox sitting in my way in the garage. I would just give it to you.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Too bad your not closer. I have a steering gearbox sitting in my way in the garage. I would just give it to you.
I'd be glad to pay shipping costs if you are serious...it would save me a bundle! The new one is going to be a pretty penny...let me know.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A complete bolt-in exhaust system from the Y-pipe back for an OBD-I truck costs less than $200 if you throw in a new oxygen sensor and can be put in by a rank novice in an hour or so. (snipped for bandwidth) Headers do not affect the cats.

$550? Is that in New Taiwan dollars? You're being taken to the cleaners....

The only part of all that that can't be done by an amateur with appropriate documentation and a torque wrench is the alignment.
Well I am going to do the exhaust myself, I honestly thought that was a wee (LOT) bit too high in cost, the most spendy piece is buying the OEM Cats at about $250 through LMCTrucks.com. And that was just so I had a ballpark figure and knew what the hell to look for...:blush:

I'ts been way too long since I did any wrenching and rusty does not even cover it. :rolleyes:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You don't go to LMC for prices. You go there to get stuff you can't find at auto parts stores or even at the dealer.

You have the same year 4.0L I do. I replaced my butchered exhaust system from the Y-pipe back when I got it. The PO had tried to weld a universal cat on and had perforated the Y-pipe right at the oxygen sensor (it caused a lean code). And the muffler outlet rusted through and dropped the tailpipe on the highway.... I got the Y-pipe from the junkyard, and everything else new through a generic auto parts store. If the original rear cat bolts are unavailable, they are sold by Help! with the springs and everything. These were all bolt-in parts. Though I had an issue with one brand of cat that its outlet pipe was 1/16 inch too big, and the donut gasket wouldn't fit. I exchanged it for another brand.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
MAKG,

I am so thankful to have someone like you to help out this old babe in the woods! In all honesty, I have been away from working on vehicles for so long, and have lost all my old connections, it is a breath of fresh air to have your advice, along with all the other great folks here. Thank you again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals