• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Diesel We've All Been Waiting For?

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/12/ford-is-the-first-truck-maker-with-two-diesels.html#more

A 3.2l powerstroke, interesting. I think this is truly what i've been waiting for a VERY long time. I've always been a secret admirer of diesel but never really saw one that i liked, and i really like this one. There's lots of discussion about these going into 150's or exploders but no word from the FMC about that. Truly i would love to see these as an option in the 150s based on the Atlas; a truly sexy truck, with a very sexy motor. And of course these motors have been put in the Global Ranger, any word on how they've done in that respect? Let me know what you guys think, this is kind of old news but i thought id share anyways for anyone that missed it, also a motor swap would be cool maybe into older RBV's. :icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
holy crap that thing is tall.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The fuel economy numbers they mentioned are laughable. 23mpg isn't anywhere near great fuel economy for a diesel. Subtract another 4-5mpg from that number because of all the stupid emissions crap that the US thinks is a great idea, and you may as well not bother with the added cost of a diesel.

Good idea, but very lacking in the fuel economy area, even for a small truck that's not even a good average economy number.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The fuel economy numbers they mentioned are laughable. 23mpg isn't anywhere near great fuel economy for a diesel. Subtract another 4-5mpg from that number because of all the stupid emissions crap that the US thinks is a great idea, and you may as well not bother with the added cost of a diesel.

Good idea, but very lacking in the fuel economy area, even for a small truck that's not even a good average economy number.

How very true... The fuel mileage is deplorable. My 2.9 TDI gets an average of 30 MPG hauling around a full size SUV. Leave it to Ford to make the fuel guzzler.

But my next door neighbor has one of the new Rangers. Next time I see him I'll ask him which motor is in it and what kind of mileage he gets.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
23 MPG..... Pathetic.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i heard dodge is putting a small diesel in their half ton and eliminating heavy duty diesels in the american line up... i think its because theyre getting beat by chevy and ford in the power dept in the US, my theory is its mainly because of emissions crap they cant unleash the 6.7L's full potential, the full size dodges in other countries have 850ft-lbs of torque, where as the US version only have 600 or so... they just cant compete in the US... unless they drop the cummins or cummins designs a V8... of course it could be for a totally different reason but thats my theory... the new diesel wont have any more torque than the ecoboost, and less HP but will supposedly get 30mpg... and returning to the powerstroke, keep in mind it says 23mpg in one ton form... i hate how all these companies are going to tiny little motors because the EPA is getting too big for its britches...

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll be waiting to see who puts one in a Ranger first.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This isn't new. Ford has offered two diesels for years. The 6.0 and 6.4 were run in tandem for a while (6.0 in the E-series and the 6.4 in the F-series). Also, during the run of the 6.0/6.4 there was a 4.5/4.6L 6-cyl PSD offered in the LCF trucks.

As for putting them in a Ranger, screw that. I was a 6-cyl to drop in an 80-85 FSB.

It will look kinda like this:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Plus add in the 8 bucks a gallon for SCR fluid your dumping in on top of fuel costs.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Dodge is releasing one soon in the ram. You know ford and Chevy won't let them be the only ones. The numbers suck for a diesel tho...

But powerstrokes ain't known for their economy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i heard dodge is putting a small diesel in their half ton and eliminating heavy duty diesels in the american line up... i think its because theyre getting beat by chevy and ford in the power dept in the US
If they do that they might as well kill the Ram altogether, most people buy them pretty much just for the C on the fender. IMO Fiat would love to tell Cummins where to go and use their own diesels if given the choice (like they did with their Case/New-Holland farm equipment) As near as I can tell the only reason they haven't is they know it is probably the best thing going to keep their trucks moving out the door.

For most people all three of them have "enough" power for a light truck.

I don't think 23mpg in one ton van isn't that bad... the power numbers for a one ton van are kind of lackluster though. :dntknw:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i heard dodge is putting a small diesel in their half ton and eliminating heavy duty diesels in the american line up... i think its because theyre getting beat by chevy and ford in the power dept in the US, my theory is its mainly because of emissions crap they cant unleash the 6.7L's full potential, the full size dodges in other countries have 850ft-lbs of torque, where as the US version only have 600 or so... they just cant compete in the US... unless they drop the cummins or cummins designs a V8... of course it could be for a totally different reason but thats my theory... the new diesel wont have any more torque than the ecoboost, and less HP but will supposedly get 30mpg... and returning to the powerstroke, keep in mind it says 23mpg in one ton form... i hate how all these companies are going to tiny little motors because the EPA is getting too big for its britches...
Pretty sure the auto, HO Engine produces 800. You won't ever need more than that who cares. they already had like a 5.0l V8 Cummins for the 1500 that got dropped because of the economy.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The Diesel We've All Been Waiting For?
DPF, Urea Injection, EGR, ect? Nope, not the diesel I've been waiting for.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that i think about it i think you guys are right, i was doing some research and this engine is apparently going to be very unmodifiable and i truly had no idea about all the emissions crap for these diesels, i just don't get it the environment can take it haha bunch o' hippies.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
GM is coming out with a turboed 2.0 in a car that could do 40mpg IIRC. I know it's a GM engine, but i wonder how good it would be in a ranger.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals