• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The cast iron thread

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Baked on crisco, grease, or oil to protect the iron from rusting and make it more or less nonstick.
Oh, mine has plenty of that. I think you guys are overthinking that. It basically needs to be cooked in for a while. Like a lot of things, the more it gets used, the better it works. I don't think me washing it every now and then is taking the "seasoning" away. My skillet is older than I am. lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Up to you.

There is a difference in the stuff being baked into the metal than the stuff just used to cook. Some of the stuff used to cook with can (not will) go rancid and cause health problems.

But if what you are doing works, I’m not going to say you are wrong.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Up to you.

There is a difference in the stuff being baked into the metal than the stuff just used to cook. Some of the stuff used to cook with can (not will) go rancid and cause health problems.

But if what you are doing works, I’m not going to say you are wrong.
I'm juss doin' what my grandmammy told me to do, seems to have not killed me yet.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can eventually get away with occasional soap on a cast iron piece that has years of seasoning bonded to it. But I wouldn't want to use it daily, and you shouldn't need to anyway. Between a decent brush (Lodge makes a good one but there are lots of options), or a simple scrubbing implement like a scrub daddy, there's really no use for a soap.

Like Snoranger, I always put the skillet right back on the oven at low heat to dry it out and then give it a quick wipe with vegetable oil. A paper towel folded down to about 1/4 it's normal size works perfectly, and you can just stick it into a zip lock bag afterwards to reuse it. I retired the last paper towel after... a year? They get really saturated with oil after a while and it only takes a few drops of new oil to put a nice coating down after the skillet is cleaned and warm.

1670613670772.png

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
You can eventually get away with occasional soap on a cast iron piece that has years of seasoning bonded to it. But I wouldn't want to use it daily, and you shouldn't need to anyway. Between a decent brush (Lodge makes a good one but there are lots of options), or a simple scrubbing implement like a scrub daddy, there's really no use for a soap.

Like Snoranger, I always put the skillet right back on the oven at low heat to dry it out and then give it a quick wipe with vegetable oil. A paper towel folded down to about 1/4 it's normal size works perfectly, and you can just stick it into a zip lock bag afterwards to reuse it. I retired the last paper towel after... a year? They get really saturated with oil after a while and it only takes a few drops of new oil to put a nice coating down after the skillet is cleaned and warm.

View attachment 86237
That oiled pan would collect so much cat hair at my house, in a days time, if I left it on my stove top. I like the idea of that process though. I'm definitely not against it and understand the concept. Most of my process is just what was handed down with the skillet. Which was mostly " Don't let it sit outside for too long" lol. I do most of the stuff you guys mentioned, but didn't think about "the process" very much. 2nd nature stuff I've been doing for decades. My wife won't even use it and has a Baby blue one with white cooking surface (ceramic, maybe). It's heavier than a dump truck but is super easy to clean. And apparently does not have seasoning, lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I shocked the heck out of my girlfriend yesterday. I removed the decades of build up on one pan. There was a lot more on there than I thought there was. A wire wheel on an bench grinder just wasn't doing the job. Out came the angle grinder with an 80 grit flap disc. There had to be about 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch of build up on the outside. I guess the family only wiped the inside of the pan for a good long time. Took it down to bare metal and then used scotch brite discs to smooth out he grinder marks. 4 or 5 coats of Crisco baked in the oven at 450 degrees for an hour with each coat, it almost back to a normal looking pan. Regular cooking will darken it up and return it back to it's normal black coloring.

I've never seen so much build up on a cast iron piece before. My guess is the thing is about 100 years old, so that might explain it. The process did make on heck of a mess though. The girlfriend said it looked like I had just come out of a coal mine.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Once I get my sandblasted cabinet built one of the first things I'm doing is blasting the outside of all my pans. There is one that I'm sure has 1/4" of crud built up!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I cleaned up some skillets today - no 6 & 7 Wagner Ware, no. 5 old Lodge and a Taiwan Dutch oven. The oven had a lot of rust and pitting but all cleaned up nice. Out of crisco so I used lard... I need more crisco, it works a lot better.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The one I redid has no brand marking on it. So I have no idea what it is. It just says No. 7, 10 1/8, and has a casting mark that looks like a slotted screw head.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Let me preface this with 'I am not a collector or heavy user of cast iron'. I keep an older Lodge 12" skillet in Oregon for tators, searing steaks, and browning meat. I needed to buy a new one today for this house. It's says it's pre-seasoned and ready to use but I'm a bit leery about that. What is the general consensus on using a pre-seasoned pan without cleaning it 1st? There are just too many varying opinions on google. I usually just cook up a lot of bacon or sausage then wipe it out to keep the older pan ready for the next time.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
New Lodge cast iron is "seasoned" already right out of the box... I'd just give it a quick rinse with some hot water and a bit of dish soap to get rid of the store cooties and use it.

I don't think that their seasoning is all that great. Combine that with the fact that their cast iron is not ground smooth... I dunno. I guess it's better than nothing but you'll still have to either smooth it out or use it a lot before it gets really good.

FWIW I just used the ancient #6 Wagner that I cleaned up yesterday. It got wire wheeled down to bare metal, then scrubbed with hot soapy water and a stainless scrubber, then 4 coats of lard. I made hash browns in it and absolutely nothing stuck to it, pretty amazing. I was concerned, sometimes the seasoning doesn't take and food just sticks forever.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
New Lodge cast iron is "seasoned" already right out of the box... I'd just give it a quick rinse with some hot water and a bit of dish soap to get rid of the store cooties and use it.

I don't think that their seasoning is all that great. Combine that with the fact that their cast iron is not ground smooth... I dunno. I guess it's better than nothing but you'll still have to either smooth it out or use it a lot before it gets really good.

FWIW I just used the ancient #6 Wagner that I cleaned up yesterday. It got wire wheeled down to bare metal, then scrubbed with hot soapy water and a stainless scrubber, then 4 coats of lard. I made hash browns in it and absolutely nothing stuck to it, pretty amazing. I was concerned, sometimes the seasoning doesn't take and food just sticks forever.
Thanks, a mild wash was my first thought also:icon_cheers:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I usually season new stuff once just to make sure I know its condition. Then, use it hard to help add to that seasoning.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I agree, wash it first since you don't know how it was stored and such. I would also give it at least one good seasoning just to be sure. As far as the rough surface, I just use the item and let natural wear take care of the surface. There is no harm smoothing the interior if you want but you'll need to run it through a full seasoning session if you do.

I'm not a collector either, I just prefer cast iron cookware over other offerings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals