• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The bare minimum of wiring!

Drag Week Splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I am building a truck for HOTROD Dragweek 2022.. a 1998 Ford Ranger, with a carbed small block ford, c4 trans and 8.8 rear.
while looking at all these wires under the hood it came to me I only need the following...
Headlights, tail lights, turn signals and brake lights.. a dome light would be nice!
Could I guy get rid of everything but these options and retain the factory switches etc.?

Also, if a guy removed the factory gauge cluster and built his own, what disasters would that do to the electronics mentioned before?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

I would leave Cab wiring as is but engine bay can be "lightened up" a lot without Computer wiring harness

There will be some Red wires from the PCM relay, in the engine fuse box, they are usable for spark system or any Key On power in engine bay, has 30amp fuse, these powered the PCM(computer), but also injectors and most solenoids in engine bay
You will want to save one of those to power spark

There will be a dark green/white stripe wire for oil pressure to dash
A Red/white strip wire for coolant temp to dash
Red/blue wire from ignition switch to Starter relay, for starter activation
Want to save those wires

You will need to run your own Tachometer wire to dash, 1998 tach signal came from computer

1998 is an analog dash, except for the speedometer/odometer they each used an electric motor
Fuel gauge uses a yellow/white wire run to sender in tank, 16 ohm empty-158 ohm full
Volt gauge is just key on voltage at dash
temp as said above
oil gauge is actually on/off type not a real gauge

So you can put in any cluster you want
The GEM module runs the interior dome light, also the electric speedometer/odometer, so you may want to keep that, its behind the radio, if you want to do electric speedo
The C4 will have speedo cable hook up so you could go "old school", lol

You should get an EVTM(electric and vacuum troubleshooting manual) for a 1998 Ranger
Ford prints these every year for every model and sends them out to Dealers as part of the "shop manual set" for that model
Lists every wire and its location
Usually found on Ebay and basically free since you buy it, use it, then sell it, just like the guy on Ebay is doing, lol

That way to will know exactly what wires to lose and what wires to keep

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> Headlights, tail lights, turn signals and brake lights.. a dome light would be nice!

You need a reverse or backup lamp, part of the FMVSS law, as I posted elsewhere.

When removing wiring I would keep the delay wipers and headlamp on buzzer.

I have their Ford speedo sender for the transmission, if you use a transfer case output you probably need the hall effect switch for the driveshaft (I have both). I think the C-4 and C-6 are the same. I am going to have their digital speedometer in my B2 or Ranger soon. I will post pictures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals