• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The autumn years of the ICE should be the golden years for the ICE.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Dude...

Used vehicles come with risk of repair. No question. But so far, EV's have been -more- reliable than their gas alternatives. So if you're going to point out that there's a massive risk of needing 'a battery or something', then you should be ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of buying an ICE vehicle.

Payments on new EV's are significant. No question. But so are payments on -any- new vehicle. So your point is...

Oh wait, you had no point.

Just more word vomit that purpose avoids comprehension.

You're self reliant. Or at least you think you are, except that you aren't willing to -actually learn- anything whatsoever. So mostly you're just... Intentionally and willfully ignorant?

That's the polar opposite of self reliant.
Whatever you wanna believe.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wont get on a plane and i prefer to be self reliant so i wouldnt pay to have something delivered if i can hook the trailer up and go get it myself i will. I get most people dont do that though.

But....whats the payment on a 40,000 dollar EV? 400ish a month? Thats almost 5000 dollars a year. So 1900/yr driving a paid off truck youre still coming out way ahead. Not to mention a 40,000 dollar model 3 or whatever isnt gonna haul firewood, tow my quad, push shit around the yard, etc etc....and id still need my F250 for the big stuff.

Sure you could buy a used EV but then you run the massive risk of needing a battery or something and then youre way up shit creek...and an engine/trans replacement is still going to be much, much cheaper.

Fiscally EV's make even less sense then if you take money out of the equation.
EVs don't have to cost $40k. For a bit last year, your fuel savings would've leased a new Bolt and left money in your pocket.

It's fine if you don't like EVs. It's fine if you want to be independent and get things yourself instead of having them delivered. It's fine if you want to do your own maintenance. I just want you to be clear on what that might cost you in both time and money. That's why many people are choosing EVs.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The "what if" scenarios are also known as "edge cases". I agree that ICE is currently better for many of them. But they're "edge cases" because they're not common. So prioritizing "edge cases" when making a decision in how we spend our time and money doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Doing some basic math with your numbers:

You're spending something like 250-500min per year on fueling stops. That's 4-8 hrs per year.
You're spending $35 per fill up once per week. That's $140/mo or $1750 in 50 weeks.
You're spending 30 minutes per oil change. That's 2hrs per year.
You're spending $40 per oil change (4 per year). That's $160 annually.
If you're changing oil every 3 months, then I presume it's about 1k miles per month of driving? That works out to 250 miles per week, and since you're getting fuel weekly, we can estimate you're getting about 250 miles per tank. So your range is 250 miles, similar to a lot of EVs. The only difference is that fueling doesn't take as long if you're away from home, and you're more used to going to gas stations than plugging in where you park.

So with no other repairs or maintenance, you're spending almost $1900 and somewhere between 6-10hrs of your life each year just putting petroleum into your truck. It might be easier to fuel up on a road trip or when towing, but how often does that happen? What percentage of miles driven are spent on a road trip or working hard vs just commuting or going to the store? It seems impractical to me unless you're spending the majority of your miles working the truck hard (doubtful since it's a 35 year old Ranger with a 2.9 and you're not getting 10mpg).
Or thinking of it another way, you're paying $1900 and 6-10hrs each year to be somewhat better at the edge cases.
$1900/yr pays for a lot of deliveries or plane tickets.
I think adding up time for gas fillups and maintenance doesn’t go anywhere. That’s like arguing the best toilet paper brand based on time saved wiping.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Im just going off what i observe while im out and about. I spend 6 days a week traveling various areas through out the MI/OH/IN tri state and i do pay very close attention....and i see very, very, very few EV's around. I mean like....could count on 2 hands per month.

Plus how many of those EV owners also own a gas vehicle? Im going to guess quite a few.

Im sure as EV offerings go up more people will buy them...but to think they will ever endanger IC sales....isnt going to happen.

Thats kinda been my point...i dont expect them to stay at 5% forever....but to think any of us will see a day where EV is the vast majority isnt going to happen.
I posted a few weeks ago about seeing 5 Teslas in a 3 mile stretch of 1 road on my way to work. (It was more about the fact that everyone of them was white, not about the amount I saw.) I usually see at least a dozen a day on my drive to work (sub 15 miles, no highway/freeways)... that doesn’t include any of the other EV makes or models that blend in more. Maybe people have more money around here.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think adding up time for gas fillups and maintenance doesn’t go anywhere. That’s like arguing the best toilet paper brand based on time saved wiping.
I'm not sure I understand. Many people that have never had an EV worry about the time it takes to charge, but they never consider the time it takes to fuel and maintain their ICE. I'm not sure that time spent on one is better or worse than time spent on the other.

Driving an EV can change this perspective. Stopping for fuel seems like a hassle that takes forever to me on the rare occasion that I have to do it. You don't realize it when you don't know any different, but when you're used to not having to make that stop and stand in the cold and then you suddenly have to, it's an eye opener.

If it took me 30-60 minutes to charge my EV every time, that would be a major inconvenience and deterrent. But if you charge at home or work, then it goes from being a deterrent to being an advantage because it saves you time instead of costing time.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I see Tesla's all day, everywhere. Prius' even more abundant. Even seen a few Mach -E Mustangs in my city. Some cars are hybrids, and not advertised/sold as Hybrids. I think the Toyota Venza (?) or their new Minivan is a hybrid on all trims. the new maverick, in it's base form is a hybrid. Hyundai has a few PHEV's and a few EV's, and almost every model is available as a Hybrid. You may be seeing PHEVs, HEVs, and EVs and not even realize it.
To @rusty ol ranger's statement about ICE - I had a buddy, he bought a motorcycle as a DD and his wife traded in their Chevy Blad-dee-Blah on a Prius. In no time, they parked the Moto because the Prius got better MPG's. All that said, when it came time for them to get a new vehicle, they went ICE with a Mazda SUV ( CX9 -?, maybe). I asked him if he missed the MPG's of the Prius, he firmly said, "Nah, I like the room the Mazda has, plus it's 10x better than the Prius in all ways", and that his SkyActiv system isn't that far off from the Prius. all in all , he had no issue going back to ICE over EV.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve seen a Tesla or two around here and quite a bit more Priuses. Not super common but they are around. I still see a Smart Car from time to time. I can’t see that being a fun time driving one of those on the highway. They were never meant to be other than a car for driving around town.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I’ve seen a Tesla or two around here and quite a bit more Priuses. Not super common but they are around. I still see a Smart Car from time to time. I can’t see that being a fun time driving one of those on the highway. They were never meant to be other than a car for driving around town.
my sister has/had a smart car. She literally got blew off the interstate when she got passed by a semi. Both the car and my sister survived. She said it was terrifying how helpless she felt once she figured out what was happening. the car barreled off the interstate into a deep gully. that car is in their garage and is being rebuilt by my BIL.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Ford is doing some great things as well. I haven't driven a Mach-E but they look pretty good tho I'd prefer they'd drop the mustang name.

F150 Lightning looks to be great. Need to see more real user reviews of real world use towing and hauling.

the biggest complaint I've seen is due to them relying on public charging network, the long drive experience can be frustrating when public charges are not maintained or not working.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
And all I wanted was a thread theorizing on what kind of cool motors manufacturers were gonna put in stuff before they couldn't anymore 😔 😋

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
And all I wanted was a thread theorizing on what kind of cool motors manufacturers were gonna put in stuff before they couldn't anymore 😔😋
Nothing around here EVER goes as planned.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
the reason most tesla are white is because you have to pay for colors. a buddy bought one and said its like 1500 for any color except red. he said red was 2000 or 2500 and of course, his wife wanted red.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
And all I wanted was a thread theorizing on what kind of cool motors manufacturers were gonna put in stuff before they couldn't anymore 😔😋
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You had a "plan" of where this thread was headed, TRS had other plans.

On that note - I heard Dodge was replacing their V8's with a straight 6

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals